Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Nespresso

Nespresso VertuoPlus Grey & Aeroccino Bundle $191

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2019 5:14 am
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2386 posts
679 upvotes
Vancouver Island
tenth wrote: For anybody that buys the plus, watch diligently for leaks. It is a common problem with this model (see reviews on the nespresso US site). Our first version leaked, so we sent it back to be fixed. The fixed version still leaked. They wanted to fix it again but we pushed for a new replacement. The new replacement leaked. Ultimately we had them swap it out for the old vertuo model. No leaks at all with that one (although the common complaint is it doesn't get hot enough if you like scorching coffee). We still love it as a big upgrade over a tassimo/keurig.

Customer service was mostly fantastic in the process. They shipped replacement temporary machines every time we had to send it back and shipping was quick.
I wonder if the non-deluxe VertuoPlus (smaller/thinner water tank) is the one that still has leaking issues. We’ve had our Deluxe version (larger tank) for a while and has never leaked. We also gifted two of them (Delonghi version FWIW) and no leaking whatsoever.

There was a reddit thread quite a while ago on the subject and someone was told by Nespresso USA that a redesigned valve in the water tanks was being rolled out - Perhaps there may still be units in stock somewhere with older valves.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2386 posts
679 upvotes
Vancouver Island
rivet wrote: What is the best price for 870XL that we saw on RFD? Need to watch and buy one at a good price.
I haven't tracked the price on the 870XL but I do recall seeing a few posts on here for about $500, and maybe even lower than that from Amazon's warehouse deals although those are usually open-box I think.
Aug 17, 2006
113 posts
49 upvotes
I presume the "fixed" version we got back from them about a month ago had the redesigned valve, but it still leaked. They are still generally positively reviewed, so some and probably most must work great, but if you read all the reviews this was a pretty big design blunder as the failure rates are crazy high. I'd be surprised if the deluxe is any different, and going to that model wasn't put forward as a solution by the half a dozen or more nespresso reps we had to deal with, but who knows.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2005
2020 posts
1035 upvotes
Scarborough
tenth wrote: I presume the "fixed" version we got back from them about a month ago had the redesigned valve, but it still leaked. They are still generally positively reviewed, so some and probably most must work great, but if you read all the reviews this was a pretty big design blunder as the failure rates are crazy high. I'd be surprised if the deluxe is any different, and going to that model wasn't put forward as a solution by the half a dozen or more nespresso reps we had to deal with, but who knows.
which model of the plus leaks, the round or flat model? i have the round plus with the larger tank and no problems so far. just once where i heard a louder than normal noise during extraction and splattered some coffee onto the counter but hasn't happened again.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4156 posts
522 upvotes
grabbed one without the milk frother for 75 USD on Amazon few weeks ago FYI
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Fanatic
Jun 21, 2003
6312 posts
3838 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
iflyplanes wrote: Remember to think about the environment and recycle your pods. Nespresso will send or give you a free recycling bag with return postage paid for pod recycling when you order pods from them.
We just got the Nespresso for Christmas and placed our first order online last night so we're excited to get started. As a household that does try our best to recycle are there other options if you fill up the bag? Can we return the used pods to Nespresso store or ask the store for another bag?
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2005
2020 posts
1035 upvotes
Scarborough
ChicoQuente wrote: We just got the Nespresso for Christmas and placed our first order online last night so we're excited to get started. As a household that does try our best to recycle are there other options if you fill up the bag? Can we return the used pods to Nespresso store or ask the store for another bag?
yes you can drop off used capsules to the Nespresso boutique if you have one near by. you can also ask for a black recycle bag there. the recycle bags by mail is red.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3689 posts
4303 upvotes
G77 wrote: If you get an OriginalLine machine then the pods are everywhere..... Every grocery store carries at least one type.

The newer pods, you can only get those from Nespresso as they have a barcode so that other people can't make them....
No, other stores do not carry Nespresso capsules. They only carry their own after marker brands, 99% of which are garbage compared to Nespresso. I've tried at least 8 different after market brands much talked about here and none has come even close to Nespresso original capsules, especially when you drink them as an espresso rather than a capp, since adding milk makes everything passable. Many of them will even make your machine work differently, taking a very long time to draw shots, possibly expediting the breakdown of the machine. That poster was correct -there is a total scarcity of original capsules on the market. Everything is only online or via the few retail nespresso locations. But since I only paid $99 for mine, it is still very good for the price point, just wish the aftermarket capsules were better.
For Sale:
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
4059 posts
812 upvotes
Windsor
thelasthunter wrote: No, other stores do not carry Nespresso capsules. They only carry their own after marker brands, 99% of which are garbage compared to Nespresso. I've tried at least 8 different after market brands much talked about here and none has come even close to Nespresso original capsules, especially when you drink them as an espresso rather than a capp, since adding milk makes everything passable. Many of them will even make your machine work differently, taking a very long time to draw shots, possibly expediting the breakdown of the machine. That poster was correct -there is a total scarcity of original capsules on the market. Everything is only online or via the few retail nespresso locations. But since I only paid $99 for mine, it is still very good for the price point, just wish the aftermarket capsules were better.
Have you tried Peet's Coffee ones? I got 80 for $35 from Costco in the US - they seem good but I don't drink them as an espresso, so like you say, easier to get away with inferior ones.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13912 posts
5398 upvotes
GMO among other food fear mongering such as antibiotics used on animals are nothing but marketing scams.

Ask an actual scientist about it.
Jackson75 wrote: Google pesticides + GMO foods and see what’s come up... or imagine your foods spray with pesticides and you consume them daily. See what goodness it will do to you.
The sweetest gyal
Dec 1, 2014
253 posts
423 upvotes
Anjou, QC
They claim that they achieved this with selective/cross breeding. Hopefully true - Not nearly as dangerous as crispr-enabled tomfoolery

FrancisBacon wrote: There's absolutely nothing wrong with any GMO foods.
There are lots of studies saying otherwise, but feel free to gorge on that food. Also glyphosate is good for you, don't worry.
JANNIES DO IT FOR FREE
Nov 25, 2012
136 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
lolobutt wrote: So expensive coffee machine. Expensive coffee pods. Taste is is not good compared to a real espresso machine. I find it hard to open my wallet to buy one

I think the only Advantage is convenience
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3472 posts
3889 upvotes
Montreal
DrunkTrailerParkSupervisor wrote: There are lots of studies saying otherwise, but feel free to gorge on that food. Also glyphosate is good for you, don't worry.
The scientific concensus is clear and unequivocal: GMOs are safe. If you believe the scientific consensus on Global Warming, evolution, or a myriad other things, then surely you believe it for GMOs.

Details:
"...foods from GE crops are as safe as foods from non-GE crops, ...animals were not harmed by eating food derived from GE crops. ...no adverse effects associated with GE crops. ...no substantiated evidence that foods from GE crops were less safe than foods from non-GE crops."

Source: The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine
https://www.nap.edu/read/23395/chapter/2

Links for the laymen:
1- https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4112
2- https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4454
3- https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4635
Banned
Jan 11, 2016
446 posts
325 upvotes
Made in Canada
rivet wrote: What is the best price for 870XL that we saw on RFD? Need to watch and buy one at a good price.
I absolutely love my 870XL. I paid $479 when there was a sale at BestBuy. Worth every penny and I've had it since 2017 with no issues. Anything below $500 is usually a good sale. Personally I use Kirkland beans because they're cheap but if you're willing to splurge a bit, local roasters in your area will definitely have the best and freshest beans.
Nov 21, 2015
181 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver
FrancisBacon wrote:
The scientific concensus is clear and unequivocal: GMOs are safe. If you believe the scientific consensus on Global Warming, evolution, or a myriad other things, then surely you believe it for GMOs.

Details:
"...foods from GE crops are as safe as foods from non-GE crops, ...animals were not harmed by eating food derived from GE crops. ...no adverse effects associated with GE crops. ...no substantiated evidence that foods from GE crops were less safe than foods from non-GE crops."

Source: The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine
https://www.nap.edu/read/23395/chapter/2

Links for the laymen:
1- https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4112
2- https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4454
3- https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4635
Do us a favour?!

Google these words “coffee sprayed crop”

Coffee is the third most heavily sprayed crop in the world, after cotton and tobacco.

So basically gmo coffee beans can handle more pesticides and more insects resistance so farmer can maximize their crops...

Say what you want. I drink coffee daily. I don’t want to drink something that will potential harm my body. If I drink it once or twice a month, I don’t mind to take that risk. Not everyday... Wake up!!!

Check out this news from Nestle

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbsnews ... t-alleges/
Last edited by Jackson75 on Jan 24th, 2019 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 21, 2015
181 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver
DrunkTrailerParkSupervisor wrote: They claim that they achieved this with selective/cross breeding. Hopefully true - Not nearly as dangerous as crispr-enabled tomfoolery

There are lots of studies saying otherwise, but feel free to gorge on that food. Also glyphosate is good for you, don't worry.
glyphosatey bacon lovely!
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3472 posts
3889 upvotes
Montreal
Jackson75 wrote: Do us a favour?!
Google these words “coffee sprayed crop”
I asked for scientific studies supporting the idea that GMOs are unsafe. None were provided.

I then did you a favor and I didn't just post a single study, nor even a review by a single expert, but the actual consensus view of the entire academy.

And I even went through the paper and posted the most relevant quotes.

So no, I'm not going to Google some more to find some random unqualified person's blog post.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
Going off into tangents here. Way I see it, it's good to be health-conscious but to go overbrd is just nuts. Look at ppl in HK, some of the worst environment in the 1st world, they don't care about what they eat as long as it tastes good; super-packed and stressful, yet one of the most long-lived ppl in the world. Don't stress the small stuff.

Anyway, there are many 3rd pty original capsules, readily available. Here, a popular home appliance chain carries some lines and I like the Agga brand:
https://www.cafeagga.com/espresso-capsules

I tried the espresso for the vertuline and it's not the same imho, I prefer the original and I only drink espresso. Not a fan of making it from scratch either, way too labor-intensive for such a small cup, I personally can't be bothered to grind, measure, pack, etc.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)