Expired Hot Deals

[Nest] Hello Wifi Video Doorbell $259 (Save $40 plus free Google Home Mini)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2018 9:41 am
Oct 5, 2010
6 posts
2 upvotes
Calgary, Alberta
I don't understand why this deal is over at Best Buy.

They originally had it on sale till Nov 1 and I was able to access the product page yesterday, but today it is unavailable.

https://imgur.com/a/ATbrCJC
Nov 6, 2016
831 posts
803 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Oct 30th, 2018 10:52 am
What size is your transformer?
I'll check when I get home, but the AC voltage using the app shows it is receiving 15.7 volts and the battery voltage is 4.04 volts. BTW, I think it's pretty neat they have that built into the app so you can see this technical info!

I have seen the AC voltage reporting range from 13 volts to 16 volts. I also successfully connected the camera using about 8.6 volts before I installed it just testing it inside the house with a small power source.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
29296 posts
15142 upvotes
Ottawa
indeals wrote:
Oct 30th, 2018 12:47 pm
I'll check when I get home, but the AC voltage using the app shows it is receiving 15.7 volts and the battery voltage is 4.04 volts. BTW, I think it's pretty neat they have that built into the app so you can see this technical info!

I have seen the AC voltage reporting range from 13 volts to 16 volts. I also successfully connected the camera using about 8.6 volts before I installed it just testing it inside the house with a small power source.
I upgraded to a 24vac/50va transformer for my Ring Pro, as the voltage would drop under load.
Nov 14, 2003
932 posts
35 upvotes
Has anyone had any luck returning their Google Home to the Source? I have to wait until mid next week to for mine to arrive from the Source, but my Costco one arrived today!!
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2005
2319 posts
414 upvotes
Anyone try this? This should be interesting.

King of the farm
Nov 6, 2016
831 posts
803 upvotes
Interesting explanation below why some users have issues with the Hello or Ring style video door bells. In short, the transformer might be providing enough voltage but not enough amperage. Specifically the device uses more power based on what activity is occurring. If you press the door bell then it transmits, has to be prepared for 2 way audio, and make it's own speaker go "ding-dong" so it uses more power. There is an internal battery to help make up the difference in power but it can quickly run out if the bell is pressed numerous times over a period of a few minutes.

I imagine Halloween will bring out a HUGE amount of issues for people with under powered transformers. I'll be upgrading my transformer shortly. See the thread below and pick yourself up a new transformer (amazon or local hardware store) if you're experiencing these issues. See the guide below.

https://www.reddit.com/comments/7uxhfl
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2005
2319 posts
414 upvotes
My Hello is keep on going offline. It is knocking off everything that is on the 2.4Ghz band including the Nest thermostat.

Call technical support:
- lower the quality and bandwidth doesn't' do anything
- reboot the router, works. (this has happens serious time before) every-time you reboot, it will work for a few hours but never over 24 hours.
- I was ask "what is in between the router" I told her a brick wall.
I was told that brick wall is my problem (LOL)

Back to the shelf it goes....
King of the farm
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
4383 posts
1138 upvotes
Ottawa
Rooster wrote: My Hello is keep on going offline. It is knocking off everything that is on the 2.4Ghz band including the Nest thermostat.

Call technical support:
- lower the quality and bandwidth doesn't' do anything
- reboot the router, works. (this has happens serious time before) every-time you reboot, it will work for a few hours but never over 24 hours.
- I was ask "what is in between the router" I told her a brick wall.
I was told that brick wall is my problem (LOL)

Back to the shelf it goes....
You need better router,period
May 19, 2008
23 posts
24 upvotes
Ottawa
indeals wrote: Been using my nest hello a few days now. Really interesting that it learns faces over time.

Only issue so far is that I have seen it with 5-15 minute gaps where it appears to be offline when reviewing recordings. At one point last night I walked outside the door to see a tiny LED flashing at the top above the camera. I had to shut the power off at the breaker to restart it and then it started working again. Not sure what that's about, anyone see the device appear to go offline and then have a blinking LED at the top?
If you mean the little green LED light, it’s blinking because someone is watching the live feed. You can turn off the blinking in settings.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2005
2319 posts
414 upvotes
sonyHdr12 wrote:
Oct 30th, 2018 3:15 pm
You need better router,period
This is my second router.
At first I was using the Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 gigabit router, then I switch to the Almond plus router with nothing else but just the hemostat and the doorbell is running on it.

As support said, I have to get rid of the brick wall to make it work. :rolleyes:
King of the farm
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
4383 posts
1138 upvotes
Ottawa
Rooster wrote: This is my second router.
At first I was using the Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 gigabit router, then I switch to the Almond plus router with nothing else but just the hemostat and the doorbell is running on it.

As support said, I have to get rid of the brick wall to make it work. :rolleyes:
I used the same Rogers gig router, it sucks at 2.4gh, I exchanged a couple, right now I use ASUS n66u, lose the AC though, but it far more stable, the other reason, my survey company keep banned my IP, ASUS I can change the stitch IP.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19014 posts
5914 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
I've had Hello since it first got released and it only went offline a single time that wasn't related to a power outage.

It's on a double brick and stone wall, too.

I use a business class wifi access point, though. I gave up on consumer routers a long while ago, even the expensive ones are unreliable junk these days.
Nov 6, 2016
831 posts
803 upvotes
dmah wrote:
Oct 30th, 2018 3:17 pm
If you mean the little green LED light, it’s blinking because someone is watching the live feed. You can turn off the blinking in settings.
I understand what you're saying but I have that option turned off. The button ring was not illuminated and camera was offline. The only light was that tiny LED above the camera and it was flashing (hard to tell if yellow or green at the time)
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
3429 posts
985 upvotes
BinaryJay wrote:
Oct 30th, 2018 4:02 pm
I've had Hello since it first got released and it only went offline a single time that wasn't related to a power outage.

It's on a double brick and stone wall, too.

I use a business class wifi access point, though. I gave up on consumer routers a long while ago, even the expensive ones are unreliable junk these days.
So do I, still have the same issues.

I even put the access point in my daughter's bedroom which is directly above the door/doorbell.