Expired Hot Deals

[Nest] Hello Wifi Video Doorbell $259 (Save $40 plus free Google Home Mini)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2018 9:41 am
Oct 24, 2009
13 posts
7 upvotes
London, ON
It does 24/7 recording ( continuous). I just installed one last week (used PC points at Shoppers with there points back promo).
It integrates with google home - it announces someones at the door on my google home mini. With the nest aware sub ($5 a month i think for 5 days of 24/7 recording) you can set the motion zones and access facial recognition.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
6140 posts
1600 upvotes
Markham
steved54321 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 9:16 am
I Purchased one last time this sale was around mid summer bit I'm still having trouble locating my doorbell transformer. Only getting 13.6 volts at the doorbell. Does anyone know any expert installers?

Thanks
Shouldn't be that hard to locate...either near the electrical panel or close to where the doorbell is. Even if you get a expert installer, that person is also going to have to find your transformer. Think of it as a scavenger hunt LOL!
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Jan 12, 2013
426 posts
327 upvotes
Halifax
I was just looking at these the other day. The sale on nest thermostats piqued my interest in nest overall. I checked my doorbell transformer (small silver box attached to the side of my main electrical panel) and it should be a straightforward install. The main hesitation i have is that there are many reports that this doesn’t function well, or at all, in cold winter months... apparently it’s only rated to go as low as -4 Celsius. Does anyone have any direct experience with this that they can comment on?
Aug 29, 2018
89 posts
33 upvotes
rapashoo wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 9:30 am
30-day subscription is $30/month (or $300/year $60 off) just heads up.
That seems crazy high to me. Who's paying $300/year for a recording of their doorbell?
Mar 19, 2008
79 posts
13 upvotes
Jayhoo wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 8:53 am
Our Nest Hello seems to display the same "issue" that others on their support forums are coming across - There is a significant delay between motion/doorbell ringing and notification on smart devices, even with the premium service. They're "working on it", but just be aware.

The Canadian version of this device also doesn't have access to 5GHz wifi. Just food for thought.
We have had a Ring doorbell for about two years and every time someone is at the door or rings the doorbell the video always has issues coming up. Wife and I have come to absolutely hating the Ring doorbell (what a piece of SH*T!) and was hoping to switch to Nest Hello. The kicker is the router is less than 10 feet away from the door bell and even Ring support hasn't been able to help. Likely because its a garbage product.

If I can find a 5Ghz hello I will pick it up.
Jan 2, 2006
694 posts
17 upvotes
Oakville
laike4 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 9:39 am
That seems crazy high to me. Who's paying $300/year for a recording of their doorbell?
It doubles as a security cam... Not just a doorbell.
Jul 8, 2009
962 posts
332 upvotes
Newmarket
tatung wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 9:12 am
Does the Hello w/ Aware do 24/7 recording? or only on events?
It does 24/7 recording and notifies you of events if you have nest subscription.
Aug 29, 2018
89 posts
33 upvotes
rfcxxx wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 9:45 am
It doubles as a security cam... Not just a doorbell.
Does that $300 include feeds from other security cameras on the same property?
Jul 8, 2009
962 posts
332 upvotes
Newmarket
laike4 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 9:39 am
There is a 5 day option for only $5/month.
Oct 24, 2009
13 posts
7 upvotes
London, ON
laike4 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 9:47 am
Does that $300 include feeds from other security cameras on the same property?
5 day option $5/moth any other nest camera is 2.50 (indoor/outdoor) for 24/7 continuous recording for 5 days. I will be adding a NEST camera in the back yard and front yard plus door bell. It should cost be about $10 a month for the three.
Dec 23, 2012
228 posts
87 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Delayed notification is a big issue with Nest Hello, it takes at least 10 seconds to notify you after it detects motion or someone, by the time you open the Nest app the person is long gone. The problem has been existed since the beginning and they are still working on it, I believe the problem is more on the hardware side than the software, so the chance of it being fixed is low.
Feb 24, 2005
708 posts
23 upvotes
Does anyone know if I have to shut off the main power at the electrical panel if the doorbell transformer is connected to a electrical box next to it? Or is there one simple breaker for just the doorbell?
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
7990 posts
4951 upvotes
Markham
Guys, seriously reconsider getting this if the following conditions are acceptable to you:

1. You have to get Nest Aware for this to function well. Otherwise, it is just a glorified snapshot taker. Cheapest Nest Aware is $5/month or $50 a year.
2. Nest Hello does not function well unless you have a strong home WiFi network. Often times, you won't receive the notification on your phone until the person at the door has already left.
3. Nest Hello does not work well in the winter, especially on very cold days. The delays are more pronounced. If you do have Nest Aware though, it will at least record well.
4. The "security camera" aspect of the Nest Hello is sub-par at best. It is better to just get a Nest Cam Outdoors, but in a pinch the Nest Hello can double as a security camera. It is not very good unless it is a good closeup though.
Nov 8, 2007
657 posts
401 upvotes
Edmonton
Anikiri wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 10:07 am
3. Nest Hello does not work well in the winter, especially on very cold days. The delays are more pronounced. If you do have Nest Aware though, it will at least record well.
Can anyone comment on true "winter" performance, it is not uncommon for us to hit -30C for a week at a time here in Edmonton with the occasional -40C days. I have been hesitating on buying a smart exterior devices because of that.
Dec 23, 2012
228 posts
87 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Anikiri wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 10:07 am
Guys, seriously reconsider getting this if the following conditions are acceptable to you:

2. Nest Hello does not function well unless you have a strong home WiFi network. Often times, you won't receive the notification on your phone until the person at the door has already left.
Strong WiFi doesn't help, I have AC router near the doorbell and still getting delay.