Expired Hot Deals

[Nest] Hello Wifi Video Doorbell $259 (Save $40 plus free Google Home Mini)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2018 9:41 am
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3544 posts
2409 upvotes
syngh80 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 9:43 am
We have had a Ring doorbell for about two years and every time someone is at the door or rings the doorbell the video always has issues coming up.
Same here, and a common experience for everyone.

There are two main issues, and I don't think Nest will have it any easier.

First, the outer wall of many houses is an effective WiFi blocker. For example if you have stucco, the outer wall contains a metal mesh. Your steel-reinforced front door is also an effective WiFi blocker. Try this test: check the WiFi signal strength at the doorbell in the app, then open your front door and check again. Cameras need a high-bandwidth WiFi connection with good signal strength.

Second, they just don't invest enough in the back-end servers. We have several devices connected to our Ring doorbell for notification, including a Ring Chime Pro. When something triggers an alert (motion or ring), we hear the notifications come in staggered over up to 90 seconds. The Chime Pro is usually first, but usually at least 10 seconds after the event, sometimes more.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2014
4362 posts
1182 upvotes
Canuckland
Sneaky bastards you still gotta pay for their susbscription to keep the data.
Jan 22, 2003
223 posts
136 upvotes
Nest Hello works with BlueIris. I've got both the Nest aware for the recognition and the "whatever" 5-day recording. I also have it recording to BI and get a LOT more recording w/o any limitations.

Like everyone's said though, the 2.4GHz is often rubbish and you'll get a lot of "Your camera is offline" notices. So is the delay to notify the Google home mini.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2006
4259 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
saw this..will be picking it up hopefully if there is still stock.
I die every Monday at 7am and reborn Friday at 4pm
Dec 28, 2010
393 posts
49 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
I recently purchased Nest Hello from Shoppers and was able to install the bell and chime by myself with the help of instructions provided and youtube video. Its pretty straight forward install. Can confirm the delay and hopefully they fix it soon.

Also Nest aware is worth it for 50/Year, as thats what brings the best out of the bell. I receive alerts for zones that I have set up and can view recordings on my cell or computer and can filter those recordings based on events. Can see how delivery guys are handling my shipments among other things like keeping an eye on kids when they are going out or coming back home.

Its not the most fanciest or hardcore security system but it does the job for what its worth.
Haven't been enough cold yet, so I don't know how it will respond to subzero temperatures but so far I am pretty happy with it
[OP]
Sep 28, 2009
125 posts
265 upvotes
My main concern with this device along with Ring is really the privacy issues.

I have a Google Home Speaker. Nest thermostat. If I add this device Google essentially knows what is going on both inside and outside my house. With the facial recognition, I provide labels to identify the person at my door. It starts to get quite scary when you think of the data being collected. No wonder they are willing to throw in a mini speaker.
Jan 26, 2011
106 posts
95 upvotes
Ajax
I’ve had the doorbell since the spring and personally, it’s one of the best purchases I’ve made. Is there a slight delay? Yes...a few seconds and I mean around 10 or so. Nothing earth shattering.

I’m on the $50/5 day plan and have it integrated into my google home so I get announcements via google home which are pretty cool. The install was pretty straight forward (took me 10 mins) and the app is pretty easy to use.

IMO, it’s pros far outweigh the cons. The security aspect of it made it a great purchase for me. Also irrelevant but my kids love playing with it so that they can talk to me thru it when I’m at work lol

PS As for the -4 rating, that’s based on internal temperature and not ambient temperature. You used to be able to see it in the technical info section in the app but they removed it in the last software update. People were complaining that the temperature of the doorbell it was reading seemed too high
Aug 16, 2009
970 posts
194 upvotes
Toronto
brianhb wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 11:51 am
My main concern with this device along with Ring is really the privacy issues.

I have a Google Home Speaker. Nest thermostat. If I add this device Google essentially knows what is going on both inside and outside my house. With the facial recognition, I provide labels to identify the person at my door. It starts to get quite scary when you think of the data being collected. No wonder they are willing to throw in a mini speaker.
Either you embrace it or resist it. It's going to get increasingly difficult to stay neutral.
Aug 16, 2009
970 posts
194 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone install it with a curved wedge? My doorbell doesn't face out towards the front.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 16, 2011
6330 posts
259 upvotes
thanks, seriously considering it. Always wanted to get one for my house.
Nov 20, 2009
676 posts
284 upvotes
Genia11 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 8:01 am
Home depot has the same sale.
You can get 3% ebates. ^^
Feb 1, 2008
109 posts
39 upvotes
Those that want to avoid subscriptions, I highly recommend Skybell.com. They usually go for sale around BlackFriday if not Boxing day. I've had mine for about a year now and it's great!
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2005
1365 posts
325 upvotes
Calgary
kingest_kong wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 12:03 pm
PS As for the -4 rating, that’s based on internal temperature and not ambient temperature. You used to be able to see it in the technical info section in the app but they removed it in the last software update. People were complaining that the temperature of the doorbell it was reading seemed too high
Yup, the only time I had issues with my doorbell was when it was -30 or colder. Otherwise it was quite good. Now I still never answer the door, but I know at least who was there Smiling Face With Sunglasses