Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
41556 posts
2552 upvotes
Richmond Hill
dredd2099 wrote:
Jul 4th, 2018 2:31 pm
eh? thought the google home mini came 'free' with the nest hello
if you were in the GTA I would have taken it off you for free, you know, to help you out since you dont want it Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
They obviously pro-rated the discount between the Nest and GH..
***Brand New Apple TV 4th Gen 64GB ONLY $220!!***
Silver Coins | Apple TV 4th Gen 64GB | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Nov 2, 2007
247 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
a4kel wrote:
Jun 26th, 2018 1:51 pm
Comes with a 15 degree wedge but most complain it is not enough. I want to get this door bell but like many others my door bell is perpendicular to my door. After some searches, there isn't any aftermarket wedge that you can buy either for a better angle. Here is a link of templates that you can 3d print a a bracket, https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2836778
I just installed the nest doorbell where the location of the wires are perpendicular to my door. I 3D printed a 30 degree wedge by uploading the template from 3dhubs.com, cost me $10, using it as a base then added the nest 15 degree wedge on top to a total of 45 degrees, works well, looks clean.This can be a good solution for those who don't want to DIY a wedge.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
25798 posts
11983 upvotes
Ottawa
a4kel wrote:
Jul 5th, 2018 4:24 pm
I just installed the nest doorbell where the location of the wires are perpendicular to my door. I 3D printed a 30 degree wedge by uploading the template from 3dhubs.com, cost me $10, using it as a base then added the nest 15 degree wedge on top to a total of 45 degrees, works well, looks clean.This can be a good solution for those who don't want to DIY a wedge.
Looks nice, but how many folks own a 3D printer?
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2010
3069 posts
869 upvotes
Mississauga
vkizzle wrote:
Jul 5th, 2018 4:26 pm
local library perhaps?
blank
Nov 2, 2007
247 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote:
Jul 5th, 2018 4:26 pm
I don't own one... I uploaded the design and ordered it at 3dhubs.com.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
25798 posts
11983 upvotes
Ottawa
dredd2099 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2018 4:28 pm
local library perhaps?
Good call...just checked my local library and they have one.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
6335 posts
1710 upvotes
Markham
a4kel wrote:
Jul 5th, 2018 4:24 pm
If you have access to a saw you could cut a piece of wood with whatever angle you want. Mount the non wedge mount to that.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Feb 6, 2008
13 posts
9 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Thanks OP. Purchased over the long weekend and already received. Going to install it tomorrow!!
Apr 26, 2006
167 posts
72 upvotes
Received mine from eBay the other day and it was pretty straight forward installation by following the guide on the nest app. The microphone is very sensitive and picked up birds starting to chirp at 3:40AM!

I bought a 16/24 transformer since it was only measuring at 14.4V at the old doorbell, but it's been working fine with no hiccups streaming continuous videos for the past few days. Now I'm wondering if I still need to swap the existing transformer out. The technical info screen on the hello is showing 11.2V and battery of 4.07V.

Those with 16V Transformers, what are your voltages from the technical info screen?
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2005
1279 posts
92 upvotes
Ontario
mooomoose wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 8:10 am
Received mine from eBay the other day and it was pretty straight forward installation by following the guide on the nest app. The microphone is very sensitive and picked up birds starting to chirp at 3:40AM!

I bought a 16/24 transformer since it was only measuring at 14.4V at the old doorbell, but it's been working fine with no hiccups streaming continuous videos for the past few days. Now I'm wondering if I still need to swap the existing transformer out. The technical info screen on the hello is showing 11.2V and battery of 4.07V.

Those with 16V Transformers, what are your voltages from the technical info screen?
Just installed mine last night, with a labelled 16v transformer.
Tech info from the app shows 17.2 v.
Battery voltage shows 4.03v
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2005
1279 posts
92 upvotes
Ontario
Is the nest aware worth the price? I also have an Amcrest cam, and bought a wyze cam to mess with.
I read that tinycam pro is good?
Or is Blueiris worth it?

I would use the free nest app when someone actually rings the bell, but either tinycam or blueiris for video playback for motion.
Thoughts?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
25798 posts
11983 upvotes
Ottawa
mooomoose wrote:

Smoothie wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 9:13 am
Just installed mine last night, with a labelled 16v transformer.
Tech info from the app shows 17.2 v.
Battery voltage shows 4.03v
Keep in mind that voltage drops under load.
The current transfomer may be enough to power the device, but during a live view and or two way communication, you will experience lag.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2008
1192 posts
290 upvotes
mooomoose wrote:

I would advise against using a non-compliant transformer. Although a different doorbell, I got my Ring Pro to work with the original (undervolted) transformer installed by the builder, and although it worked for the first 6 months flawlessly, my mechanical chime started decided to ring non-stop early in the morning (at 3am!) and continued to do so non-stop. At the end, I found out the problem was the transformer being undervolted and bricking my Ring-Pro though it still turned on. You can imagine the # of calls back and forth with Ring support since it appeared to be powering on. At the end, they sent me a replacement unit and I bought a compliant transformer, and all is working well again now. I'm lucky they sent me a replacement as it was totally my fault lol.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
25798 posts
11983 upvotes
Ottawa
freakyflow wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 9:25 am
I would advise against using a non-compliant transformer. Although a different doorbell, I got my Ring Pro to work with the original (undervolted) transformer installed by the builder, and although it worked for the first 6 months flawlessly, my mechanical chime started decided to ring non-stop early in the morning (at 3am!) and continued to do so non-stop. At the end, I found out the problem was the transformer being undervolted and bricking my Ring-Pro though it still turned on. You can imagine the # of calls back and forth with Ring support since it appeared to be powering on. At the end, they sent me a replacement unit and I bought a compliant transformer, and all is working well again now. I'm lucky they sent me a replacement as it was totally my fault lol.
What's a "non-compliant" transformer?
Nov 28, 2009
308 posts
141 upvotes
Markham
vkizzle wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 9:42 am
What's a "non-compliant" transformer?
I'm assuming a transformer that does not meet the voltage requirements.