• Mar 6th, 2019 8:17 pm
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
25798 posts
11983 upvotes
Ottawa
steved54321 wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 10:02 am
I'm assuming a transformer that does not meet the voltage requirements.
I thought so too, but an undersized transfomer would have not been a reason to void warranty.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2008
1192 posts
290 upvotes
steved54321 wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 10:02 am
I'm assuming a transformer that does not meet the voltage requirements.
Correct.
Apr 26, 2006
167 posts
72 upvotes
Smoothie wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 9:13 am
Just installed mine last night, with a labelled 16v transformer.
Tech info from the app shows 17.2 v.
Battery voltage shows 4.03v
Thanks. I ended up replacing mine and it is now showing 17.4V and 4.07V.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
1437 posts
88 upvotes
Installed mine 2 days ago and purchased the Nest Aware $50/year package. Very easy install honestly took like 15 minutes once you’ve watched the install video. Luckily I did not need to drill any holes, my old door bell was mounted to plastic/wood frame. Took longer just to figure exactly how I wanted to mount it than the actual install. My front door has frosted glass so I love this thing, notifications started off a little slow and laggy but now seems to be pretty quick, within 3 seconds I’d say. Also works well with my Apple Watch and notifications come on that which is very neat with the image showing as well. My wires are about 5 feet high so the door bell misses the feet a bit when people are close so I’ve angled it down a bit using a small piece of folded paper to see a little lower.

I mainly got it for the camera function but wish that the Google Home Mini could announce the face detection when it sees someone coming rather than them having to press the door bell. My camera shut off for about 2 hrs today not sure why but then came back. Did not appear to be a power outage because my in door cam was still working.

But overall still like it.
Oct 25, 2009
114 posts
30 upvotes
extra $15 off at best buy (code take15)
Feb 15, 2009
899 posts
180 upvotes
Winnipeg
EscaBoi wrote:
Jul 7th, 2018 12:36 am
Installed mine 2 days ago and purchased the Nest Aware $50/year package. Very easy install honestly took like 15 minutes once you’ve watched the install video. Luckily I did not need to drill any holes, my old door bell was mounted to plastic/wood frame. Took longer just to figure exactly how I wanted to mount it than the actual install. My front door has frosted glass so I love this thing, notifications started off a little slow and laggy but now seems to be pretty quick, within 3 seconds I’d say. Also works well with my Apple Watch and notifications come on that which is very neat with the image showing as well. My wires are about 5 feet high so the door bell misses the feet a bit when people are close so I’ve angled it down a bit using a small piece of folded paper to see a little lower.

I mainly got it for the camera function but wish that the Google Home Mini could announce the face detection when it sees someone coming rather than them having to press the door bell. My camera shut off for about 2 hrs today not sure why but then came back. Did not appear to be a power outage because my in door cam was still working.

But overall still like it.
What do you mean the image comes up on your watch? A picture of the Nest logo shows up or is it an image of the person at the door?
Deal Addict
May 8, 2008
1208 posts
191 upvotes
Hello friends, I have a wired mechanical doorchime, but cannot find the transformer! Looked around (basement, near the chime, electrical panel)....any ideas?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
25798 posts
11983 upvotes
Ottawa
farkaland wrote:
Jul 7th, 2018 5:44 pm
Hello friends, I have a wired mechanical doorchime, but cannot find the transformer! Looked around (basement, near the chime, electrical panel)....any ideas?
It can be anywhere. Lol
Look up near the light socket in the mechanical room, as I've seen one wired there in older homes.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2008
1192 posts
290 upvotes
farkaland wrote:
I've heard some people found their transformers installed in their closet.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
1437 posts
88 upvotes
tatung wrote:
Jul 7th, 2018 1:33 pm
What do you mean the image comes up on your watch? A picture of the Nest logo shows up or is it an image of the person at the door?
Both depending on how you set up your notifications.

A notification will pop up on my watch and say “Your camera spotted a familiar/unfamiliar face” depending if it’s someone I know or not. I can choose to ignore or open the notification, if I do open it, it gives me a snapshot of the person.

If it’s someone you know it will say it thinks it is “NAME”.

The only thing that could get annoying is if people are leaving the house and their back is to the camera you’ll get that notification as well. Not a big deal to me
Jul 8, 2009
981 posts
342 upvotes
Newmarket
farkaland wrote:
I couldn't find mine either. I bought one of these multimeters from Amazon and tested the wires for compatibility.

https://www.amazon.ca/Etekcity-Multimet ... multimeter
Deal Addict
May 22, 2005
2705 posts
277 upvotes
Silly question. I currently have a 16VA 10V transformer. From what I've been reading, this is likely insufficient, so I went and bought one of the below. Would this fit the bill?

Apr 26, 2006
167 posts
72 upvotes
Jayhoo wrote:
Jul 8th, 2018 12:01 am
Silly question. I currently have a 16VA 10V transformer. From what I've been reading, this is likely insufficient, so I went and bought one of the below. Would this fit the bill?

I replaced mine with the same one and used the 16V terminals.

Although your current one will likely work - best to change it now before weird issues crop up in the future (as others have chimed in). My "original" one was only 10V/5VA and it was working fine for a couple of days. I had a weird issue (which ended up to be something not related) and called up Nest. I asked them about only seeing 11V on the technical info screen and they asked me to physically check the transformer (previously I only checked the voltage at the wires - which was within the 14V-30V required range). Sure enough - it was only 10V/5VA.
Feb 15, 2009
899 posts
180 upvotes
Winnipeg
EscaBoi wrote:
Jul 7th, 2018 11:28 pm
Both depending on how you set up your notifications.

A notification will pop up on my watch and say “Your camera spotted a familiar/unfamiliar face” depending if it’s someone I know or not. I can choose to ignore or open the notification, if I do open it, it gives me a snapshot of the person.

If it’s someone you know it will say it thinks it is “NAME”.

The only thing that could get annoying is if people are leaving the house and their back is to the camera you’ll get that notification as well. Not a big deal to me
Wow thats pretty cool. I bought into the wrong system then (Ring).
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
25798 posts
11983 upvotes
Ottawa
tatung wrote:
Jul 9th, 2018 8:50 am
Wow thats pretty cool. I bought into the wrong system then (Ring).
The facial recognition is pretty neat.