• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2007 1:21 am
Tags:
None
Jan 4, 2005
881 posts
1 upvote

[T&T Supermarket] Nestle Black Currant+Mixed Fruit Frutips (2x140g) $2.99 T&T

Edit: New Deal at T&T Supermarket... Value Pack of 1 x Black Currant, 1 x Mixed Fruit for $2.99

I love these things! They are coated with sugar and soft.

For those that can read Chinese => 能得利果汁軟糖 (黑加侖&#23376 ;)

You can usually get these for 2 for $5 at T&T Supermarket. I have also seen them at Bamburgh Foodmart (just south of Steeles/Warden for 2 for $4 occasionally)

I got 140g tubes for $1.99 at SDM (NW corner of Steeles and Warden). This is probably only a deal at larger SDMs in the GTA area because probably only ones that are in a neighbourhood with more Chinese people carry this.

It is listed under the Nestle Canada website. http://www.nestle.ca/en/products/brands ... orts/index
|||
GO (LEAFS,RAPTORS,TFC) GO
My HoFo Feedback
Heatware (1-0-0)
|||
18 replies
Jul 15, 2003
298 posts
Markham
Theyre also selling for 2 for $3.50 at one of the grocery stores at market village on kennedy and steeles, I wouldve loved to get some, but I still have 3 tubes from when they were 2 for 5.50 :/
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
2672 posts
7 upvotes
I think Market Village supermarket is selling them for $3.49 for 2.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2006
1382 posts
18 upvotes
North York
most of the chinese grocery stores are selling at 3.50 for 2, it's not a surprise, but good deal as those used to be selling at 4 bucks each.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
1870 posts
240 upvotes
Toronto
For those in GTA west who are far away from Chinese supermarkets, Brandt Meats in Mississauga has them for $1.79. Wow, it's hard to believe how the price on these have dropped...I remember them being a whopping $4.99 a tube!!!
Dec 28, 2006
123 posts
2 upvotes
I know that in GVR, they sell for that price at LD
May 22, 2006
62 posts
Mississauga, Ontario
For those of you who are wondering about the price drop.

The one on sale now, imported and distributed by Nestle Canada, are the one made in China. The one that used to sell for $4 to $5 each, are made in United Kingdom.

I love these Fruitips, and I do know it tastes different. The one from China are softer and less sour (may be less juice contains). The one from UK are the same one that we always had in the old days.

I haven't done any hunting lately, but I don't know if you can still find the one from UK, but as a personal preference, I like the one from UK instead.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
1870 posts
240 upvotes
Toronto
hwong wrote:
Jan 5th, 2007 9:32 am
For those of you who are wondering about the price drop.

The one on sale now, imported and distributed by Nestle Canada, are the one made in China. The one that used to sell for $4 to $5 each, are made in United Kingdom.

I love these Fruitips, and I do know it tastes different. The one from China are softer and less sour (may be less juice contains). The one from UK are the same one that we always had in the old days.

I haven't done any hunting lately, but I don't know if you can still find the one from UK, but as a personal preference, I like the one from UK instead.
Thanks for the info. No wonder!!! I hope they don't mutate and become fake Fruitips... > :(
May 22, 2006
62 posts
Mississauga, Ontario
Gigi wrote:
Jan 5th, 2007 9:36 am
Thanks for the info. No wonder!!! I hope they don't mutate and become fake Fruitips... > :(
I doubt they will make fake candies. Remind you that in UK, (yes if you are in UK), you can still get the same good old Fruitips but at a much higher price. I believe in UK they called Rowntrees Fruit Pastilles.

Fruitips used to be only available in Europe and Asian countries, because it was owned and branded under "Rowntree" company in UK. Since it was bought out by Nestle, it became widely available, including Canada. But instead of importing directly from UK, Nestle starts making them in China (lower cost may be?) and import those instead.

I do believe, if you can still find one, the UK version in TO supermarkets, are the one that imported by Chinese/Canadian importer, and not officially from Nestle Canada.

FYI also, you can get Lychee and Strawberry favour from USA. They are also made in China. I tried the Lychee favour once, and it was very very good. (I bought mine from Seattle last summer)
[OP]
Jan 4, 2005
881 posts
1 upvote
hwong wrote:
Jan 5th, 2007 9:49 am
FYI also, you can get Lychee and Strawberry favour from USA. They are also made in China. I tried the Lychee favour once, and it was very very good. (I bought mine from Seattle last summer)
OMG Lychee? I gotta look into this.

Good info about the price drop... I think I can handle the slightly different taste in the China-made ones. I can't really remember the ones I had in Hong Kong.

I was looking for the 2 for $3.50 deal at one of the Market Village supermarket(the smaller supermarket).. but didn't see it. I didn't check the other.

But today at T&T (Steeles/Warden), found a even better deal... 1 tube of Black Currant and 1 tube of Mixed Fruit in a Value Pack... $2.99
|||
GO (LEAFS,RAPTORS,TFC) GO
My HoFo Feedback
Heatware (1-0-0)
|||
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
3316 posts
31 upvotes
Richmond
THESE ARE DIFFERENT THAN THE OLD FRUTIPS. FANS OF THE OLD ONES SHOULD NOT BUY THESE.

Nestle Canada is distributing these now, and they're available everywhere cheap. These ones are Made in China and not the UK. They're disgusting (compared to the old ones) and completely different!!!!

They're really soft like gummy bears (unlike the old ones), covered in a regular sugar (opposed to the coarser sugar), and the taste is really different and chemical-ish. It's not just my subjective opinion, the ingredients are different.....the cheap ones say "CONTAINS ARTIFICIAL FLAVOURS AND COLOURS", whereas the UK ones say "NO ARTIFICIAL FLAVOURS OR COLOURS"

You will notice that the cheap ones have no Chinese on the package, and will say "Made in China". The UK ones are "Made in UK" and will have Chinese on the package. They're still being made and candy places still import the UK ones (at ~$1.79 for a small tube or ~$5 for the 140g tube).

Sorry, I know it's just candy, but I love my Frutips :cheesygri
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9341 posts
1547 upvotes
Toronto
M@rk wrote:
Jan 7th, 2007 9:11 pm
THESE ARE DIFFERENT THAN THE OLD FRUTIPS. FANS OF THE OLD ONES SHOULD NOT BUY THESE.

Nestle Canada is distributing these now, and they're available everywhere cheap. These ones are Made in China and not the UK. They're disgusting (compared to the old ones) and completely different!!!!

They're really soft like gummy bears (unlike the old ones), covered in a regular sugar (opposed to the coarser sugar), and the taste is really different and chemical-ish. It's not just my subjective opinion, the ingredients are different.....the cheap ones say "CONTAINS ARTIFICIAL FLAVOURS AND COLOURS", whereas the UK ones say "NO ARTIFICIAL FLAVOURS OR COLOURS"

You will notice that the cheap ones have no Chinese on the package, and will say "Made in China". The UK ones are "Made in UK" and will have Chinese on the package. They're still being made and candy places still import the UK ones (at ~$1.79 for a small tube or ~$5 for the 140g tube).

Sorry, I know it's just candy, but I love my Frutips :cheesygri

Yeah, I just bought 2 tubes of black current fruitips from T&T today at 1.98/tube and found that it didn't taste like how it used to.. these are the Nestle ones. They are too soft and way too sweet. 4 bucks well wasted.
May 22, 2006
62 posts
Mississauga, Ontario
4flava wrote:
Jan 13th, 2007 3:41 pm
Yeah, I just bought 2 tubes of black current fruitips from T&T today at 1.98/tube and found that it didn't taste like how it used to.. these are the Nestle ones. They are too soft and way too sweet. 4 bucks well wasted.
I love these Fruitips, but since it is not the same one, I don't care how cheap it is now.

I will wait till my next trip to UK or HK to pick up some REAL fruitips.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
1870 posts
240 upvotes
Toronto
hwong wrote:
Jan 13th, 2007 5:35 pm
I love these Fruitips, but since it is not the same one, I don't care how cheap it is now.

I will wait till my next trip to UK or HK to pick up some REAL fruitips.
But what are we locals without the UK/HK connections to do??? :cry:
× < >