Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Netatmo.com

Netatmo Smart Security Cameras 20% off, works with HomeKit and GoogleAssistant

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2019 2:27 pm
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes

Netatmo Smart Security Cameras 20% off, works with HomeKit and GoogleAssistant

Deal Link:
Savings:
20% off
Retailer:
Netatmo.com
Welcome Smart Indoor Camera regular $200, on sale $160
Presence Smart Outdoor Camera with floodlight regular $350, on sale $280
Free shipping

I've used the the Welcome indoor camera for about 1.5 years and it's pretty solid. Storage to SD or free automatic upload to your dropbox for cloud storage (or FTP if you have a server) , facial recognition, motion sensor, night vision, HomeKit support and Google Assistant commands. The only drawbacks are that it doesn't come with any kind of mounting kit (table top only basically) and no two way audio.

The outdoor camera has all of the same features as well as a floodlight, mountable (obviously), water proof, zone based detection (so people and cars on the street aren't constantly triggering the camera) and car/person/animal detection (no facial recognition).
4 replies
Apr 23, 2007
296 posts
164 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
it doesn't look promising as from the following amazon review (and other reviews):

"I have been installing professional CCTV systems for years, and been a network engineer for about 12 years. This product has a great concept to it, and to give Netatmo credit, the recognition of people, cars, and animals works quite well. The app navigation is easy for customers to navigate.

I have a few BIG problems with the product line though after installing a few for clients. The performance is not what I would expect out of a $300 camera. This operates through a peer-peer connection through Netatmo; this connection seems to be quite slow, resulting in sometimes a 30-60 second delay between an event happening, and it appearing in the live feed on the phone/tablet. The standard IP camera systems I install most of the time have no more than a 10 second delay, even on DSL. The 30-60 delay is occurring on a 100x10 cable connection.

The stock MicroSD card is junk. The classification of the card, U1 is OK for the lightweight use of these cameras. The failure rate of the cards is absolutely unacceptable. Out of 14 cameras installed, I have already replaced 5 of them. That is a 35% failure rate, and prior to any rain. At one client I ended up installing a 32GB Sandisk U3 V30 MicroSD card (link below). This did appear to help at first, but performance soon dropped again.

At one client we have been in constant contact with the tech support trying to pinpoint the problem with remote viewing performance. We get terrible performance on cameras that have great WiFi signal, within 30ft of the AP. The technical support is less than competent, they keep repeating things after explaining the network setup and can't offer any additional help than what a normal tech can do. If you have a mesh system such as Ubiquiti Unifi or Cisco Meraki, it doesn't seem to do much to help. Their tech support also doesn't understand what a multi-AP WiFi system is.

One thing I feel is very lacking in the configuration, is the ability to set a static IP address on each camera. If you are having problems during the initial setup of each camera, it gives you the option, but NOT in the app. I have a big problem with this as I always set a static IP address to devices such as cameras, printers, TVs, etc. I would appreciate being able to do this directly to each camera rather than match a MAC address in the router's DHCP server.

The performance is a definite problem for my clients; Netatmo needs to redesign the flow of data so that live views are not delayed as much. They also should update the stock MicroSD cards."
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Expensive?
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
tomkuang wrote: it doesn't look promising as from the following amazon review (and other reviews):

"I have been installing professional CCTV systems for years, and been a network engineer for about 12 years. This product has a great concept to it, and to give Netatmo credit, the recognition of people, cars, and animals works quite well. The app navigation is easy for customers to navigate.

I have a few BIG problems with the product line though after installing a few for clients. The performance is not what I would expect out of a $300 camera. This operates through a peer-peer connection through Netatmo; this connection seems to be quite slow, resulting in sometimes a 30-60 second delay between an event happening, and it appearing in the live feed on the phone/tablet. The standard IP camera systems I install most of the time have no more than a 10 second delay, even on DSL. The 30-60 delay is occurring on a 100x10 cable connection.

The stock MicroSD card is junk. The classification of the card, U1 is OK for the lightweight use of these cameras. The failure rate of the cards is absolutely unacceptable. Out of 14 cameras installed, I have already replaced 5 of them. That is a 35% failure rate, and prior to any rain. At one client I ended up installing a 32GB Sandisk U3 V30 MicroSD card (link below). This did appear to help at first, but performance soon dropped again.

At one client we have been in constant contact with the tech support trying to pinpoint the problem with remote viewing performance. We get terrible performance on cameras that have great WiFi signal, within 30ft of the AP. The technical support is less than competent, they keep repeating things after explaining the network setup and can't offer any additional help than what a normal tech can do. If you have a mesh system such as Ubiquiti Unifi or Cisco Meraki, it doesn't seem to do much to help. Their tech support also doesn't understand what a multi-AP WiFi system is.

One thing I feel is very lacking in the configuration, is the ability to set a static IP address on each camera. If you are having problems during the initial setup of each camera, it gives you the option, but NOT in the app. I have a big problem with this as I always set a static IP address to devices such as cameras, printers, TVs, etc. I would appreciate being able to do this directly to each camera rather than match a MAC address in the router's DHCP server.

The performance is a definite problem for my clients; Netatmo needs to redesign the flow of data so that live views are not delayed as much. They also should update the stock MicroSD cards."
That's a little surprising. I can't speak about the outdoor camera, but I assume the indoors that I have use similar wifi and transmission technology. I have nowhere close to a 30 second delay on the video transmissions. Mine is usually about 1 second or less, though has been as high as 2-3 seconds (tested by being in frame and moving about to see when it shows on screen, with phone on same wifi network and on LTE).

He is right about the included SD cards though. Of the 3 cameras I have I did have to replace one of them within a month, but I was going to anyway for that camera since it's in a higher traffic area and I wanted a larger capacity than what was included.
Apr 23, 2007
296 posts
164 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
ceredon wrote: That's a little surprising. I can't speak about the outdoor camera, but I assume the indoors that I have use similar wifi and transmission technology. I have nowhere close to a 30 second delay on the video transmissions. Mine is usually about 1 second or less, though has been as high as 2-3 seconds (tested by being in frame and moving about to see when it shows on screen, with phone on same wifi network and on LTE).

He is right about the included SD cards though. Of the 3 cameras I have I did have to replace one of them within a month, but I was going to anyway for that camera since it's in a higher traffic area and I wanted a larger capacity than what was included.
I've been looking for an outdoor cam for months and comparing between the Ring, Nest, Alro etc. Each has its own strength and shown up in many reviews/youtube clips. This thing was not in my shopping list so that I decided to do some research. Surprisingly, It was an old product (review as early as 2016?) and it didn't fly for the last few years. I think that means something. Besides, for that price, 280, you can go for much more reliable/reputable products/vendors.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)