• May 11th, 2018 1:53 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2554 posts
678 upvotes
Global Village
M1GOmigs wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 12:49 pm
But man, if WB/Paramount/Universal/etc all decide to leave and do their own streaming services, this will be a bigger mess than cable...
How soon before Bell/Cable offer an IPTV service with a base like the $15 Alt TV and an IP TV box where you'll be able to add not only channels but each of the legally available streaming services as an add-on? 2 years? "Get IPTV with Netflix, Crave, Prime and Disney streaming for $50 per month" type of thing.

I can see the CRTC forcing all the IPTV service cos to offer all the streaming services legally available in Canada at msrp whether they like it or not.
All day I dream about sports
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1338 posts
439 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Buggy166 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 1:13 pm
Well, Netflix started making original content, what, 2-3 years ago? Disney is approaching 100 years. HBO also has a few decades. That's not really a debate, its just time.

As for Netflix originals being mostly garbage, have you ever seen Disney's direct to DVD movies? lol

Disney doesnt own Dreamworks, Universal does.

What was the last time anyone subscribed to Netflix just because they were itching to watch A&E, ABC, History or ESPN channel content? Wanna talk about garbage, can start with 99% of the content of those channels.

Pixar movies are already easily accessible everywhere else. Also, whens the last time you saw an adult sign up to a monthly streaming service because of a dozen pixar movies they've already seen before, and probably already own on bluray?

The 1 thing i never watch on Netflix is Disney movies. I already own them on bluray, or if i dont, i already saw them in theaters. Netflix movies or content i like, is only accessible on Netflix. Not in theaters, not on blu-ray. What are the chances of Disney doing the same? Below 0%.
Exactly my point... Netflix needs a hundred years to catch up and with their craptacular exclusive content compared to the high quality tour de force of Disney library? Haha

Have you seen Disney's movie theatre movies? Netflix exclusive content is of Disney direct to home DVD

Netflix has way more garbage and their limited amount of"quality" goes down by the month
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10465 posts
893 upvotes
Mississauga
Buggy166 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 1:41 pm
Thats the earlier stuff, when they just started creating content. I havent seen any newer shows on blu-ray. Movies neither.

The Marvel shows, I'm not sure if they own the rights outside of network or streaming distribution.

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/1 ... he-details

Amazon doesnt seem to be releasing their shows either.
Jessica Jones S1 and Daredevil S2 come out on Blu-ray in a couple of weeks, and Narcos S2 in a month. This is because all of these shows are co-productions with studios that have physical disc production capabilities. A show like Stranger Things is pure 100% Netflix, and they do not have in-house disc production, and I don't see them getting it either.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
12441 posts
1848 upvotes
Toronto
scoper wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 2:42 pm
How soon before Bell/Cable offer an IPTV service with a base like the $15 Alt TV and an IP TV box where you'll be able to add not only channels but each of the legally available streaming services as an add-on? 2 years? "Get IPTV with Netflix, Crave, Prime and Disney streaming for $50 per month" type of thing.

I can see the CRTC forcing all the IPTV service cos to offer all the streaming services legally available in Canada at msrp whether they like it or not.
In Canada, Disney content is staying on Netflix as the Disney streaming won't be available here. Crave will most likely crash into Amazon or Netflix to become...a stronger "Bigger library of content" merged streaming service, no doubt.
(or, like you suggest, a bundle of all together...but I still suspect mergers will happen first)

Another thing to consider is, if it has not already happened, Superchannel is trying to lock in a relationship with Sony pictures...looking for anything Sony? You might have to go to Superchannel...
(...and should they merge with the Movie network?? Merely a thought-no fact intended.)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7058 posts
933 upvotes
Talamasca wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 8:36 pm
Jessica Jones S1 and Daredevil S2 come out on Blu-ray in a couple of weeks, and Narcos S2 in a month. This is because all of these shows are co-productions with studios that have physical disc production capabilities. A show like Stranger Things is pure 100% Netflix, and they do not have in-house disc production, and I don't see them getting it either.
Stranger things would be amazing on bluray with proper sound mastered. Especially if they do a 4K version uprez down the road.

I like Netflix but i cant serious watch their big movies because everything about them is compressed. An HD movie at 1-2 GB is nowhere near what a proper HD release is, which is around 20+ GB for lossless sound and high bitrate picture. Nevermind 4K content.

I like watching TV shows and comedies on there. dont require great picture quality. Anything FX heavy, i still prefer buying the bluray.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7058 posts
933 upvotes
Doubleshot wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 4:56 pm
Exactly my point... Netflix needs a hundred years to catch up and with their craptacular exclusive content compared to the high quality tour de force of Disney library? Haha

Have you seen Disney's movie theatre movies? Netflix exclusive content is of Disney direct to home DVD

Netflix has way more garbage and their limited amount of"quality" goes down by the month
You're comparing apples to oranges. Netflix is a streaming company who just got into production. Disney is a production company who has no iota of experience in the streaming business.

I'll take some Netflix TV shows over Disney's Hanna Montana or whatever else they have. ABC had Lost, they have Modern Family, etc...filler stuff.

Disney's a content maker, not a service provider. That will make itself clear in the near future. I'm betting against their streaming services. They'll be very lightly successful, if that. Licensing is more profitable imo, but I'm no CEO, so good luck to them.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10465 posts
893 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm not a fan of companies all setting up their own paid streaming services (CBS, Disney, etc.). I know they see the appeal, as they get to keep all the content and profits to themselves, but I don't want to pay X dollars to multiple providers every month. I have Netflix and TMN/HBO (until Game of Thrones ends) and that's enough.
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
16931 posts
404 upvotes
Given their business model this isn't surprising. It's likely mostly all long term as well.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
8055 posts
279 upvotes
Buggy166 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 1:47 pm
You're comparing apples to oranges. Netflix is a streaming company who just got into production. Disney is a production company who has no iota of experience in the streaming business.

I'll take some Netflix TV shows over Disney's Hanna Montana or whatever else they have. ABC had Lost, they have Modern Family, etc...filler stuff.

Disney's a content maker, not a service provider. That will make itself clear in the near future. I'm betting against their streaming services. They'll be very lightly successful, if that. Licensing is more profitable imo, but I'm no CEO, so good luck to them.
Disney is giant compared to Netflix.

Disney have very deep pockets. They already have TONS of content. They are already ahead of the game as far as original content goes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_W ... ures_films
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_D ... sion_films
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_D ... d_features

They also have subsidiaries. Marvel, Pixar, Lucasfilms.

Disney can also start buying content. Netflix better step up their game because this is a real threat.
#Torontostrong
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
30367 posts
7491 upvotes
GTHA
Free-spending Netflix signs 'prolific producer' Shonda Rhimes to a huge multiple-year deal...

Shonda Rhimes Moves to Netflix From ABC With Huge Overall Deal
The prolific showrunner behind 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'Scandal' and more has left her longtime home at ABC Studios for the streaming giant.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... al-1029142
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
9327 posts
1966 upvotes
Toronto
tk1000 wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 9:53 am
Free-spending Netflix signs 'prolific producer' Shonda Rhimes to a huge multiple-year deal...
After cancellations of Still Star Crossed and The Catch my feeling is her prime is behind her but if those shows were on Netflix maybe they'd still be producing episodes ... who knows?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7879 posts
886 upvotes
Victoria
Talamasca wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 3:06 pm
I'm not a fan of companies all setting up their own paid streaming services (CBS, Disney, etc.). I know they see the appeal, as they get to keep all the content and profits to themselves, but I don't want to pay X dollars to multiple providers every month. I have Netflix and TMN/HBO (until Game of Thrones ends) and that's enough.
I'm the same way, but if the trend continues, Netflix will lose access to more and more 3rd party content (as that content ends up being sold directly by the content owners). If it keeps going this way, then Netflix itself would become a service that only sells it's own content. I think this is why Netflix started making their own content a few years ago. It becomes more and more of a nightmare to license content they don't own.

Personally I hope the recent attempts to start separate streaming services for every channel falls flat. I'm like you. The appeal of streaming is dropping a large cable bill and replacing it with 1 or 2 streaming subscriptions. If they expect that people will buy 10+ subscriptions I don't think they understand the problem.

That being said the one advantage of streaming is that the episodes pile up and you can watch an entire season after it completes. For the patient people out there, they can wait for a few shows to finish, buy a 1 month sub, catch up, then move on to the next streaming company. Seems like way to much effort and planning though. Especially for those of us that like to watch without spoilers. Still you can manipulate streaming subs alot more than cable subs.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6323 posts
302 upvotes
GT'eh
Disney is making a mistake, even if they have deep pockets or acquired a small streaming service. Netflix is a beast and they practically perfected the movie streaming business and their lifeblood is signing monthly subs and striking partnerships and they have the infrastructure to grow. Although this move by disney is threatening, as they keep delivering quality content and improve their service, I don't think they have anything to worry about.
The only other company who might be able to threaten Netflix is Amazon seeing as how their AWS servers are used even everyone by Netflix.
Netflix needs to look into reducing licensing costs or leveraging other assets
Ne0's items:Finito
♠ G@mer & t3<h [onnoisseur ♠ Spitting t3<hy lingo since the 80's

Send PM's HERE♠ eBay|600+ ♠ | XB360 GT:Ask? ♠ PSN ID:ILLmatic_KINGPIN
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7879 posts
886 upvotes
Victoria
Neovingian wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 2:43 pm
Netflix needs to look into reducing licensing costs or leveraging other assets
I'm sure Netflix would love to lower it's licensing costs but I don't see how. They're biggest advantage was being first for and for a number of years they had no competitors for buying/licensing 3rd party content. Now companies like Amazon are competing, it drives up the costs of that content. It's one of the reasons they started making their own. If all they did was sell 3rd party content, they're entire business model is at the mercy of the content owners :(
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
30367 posts
7491 upvotes
GTHA
Netflix will spend $7 billion USD on content in 2018 — up from the $6 billion USD that the streaming giant has pledged to spend this year on licensing and producing TV series and films.

Netflix’s chief content officer Ted Sarandos quoted the massive number during a new interview with Variety.

http://variety.com/2017/digital/feature ... 202527321/