• May 11th, 2018 1:53 pm
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1338 posts
439 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Neovingian wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 2:43 pm
Disney is making a mistake, even if they have deep pockets or acquired a small streaming service. Netflix is a beast and they practically perfected the movie streaming business and their lifeblood is signing monthly subs and striking partnerships and they have the infrastructure to grow. Although this move by disney is threatening, as they keep delivering quality content and improve their service, I don't think they have anything to worry about.
The only other company who might be able to threaten Netflix is Amazon seeing as how their AWS servers are used even everyone by Netflix.
Netflix needs to look into reducing licensing costs or leveraging other assets
Netflix churns our garbage...look how very little quality programming they have of their own. They spend and spend but just garbage

Disney churns out way way higher quality than Netflix and the Disney content library will take a century for Netflix to catch up to even if Disney stopped now

Disney is a huge company who perfected the whole consumer experience and charging a huge premium for it and still have people lineup for their movies, merchandise, theme parks, resorts, cruises and etc
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7888 posts
887 upvotes
Victoria
I also think it depends on what consumers are looking for. Disney is killing it with movies (Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar?). I'm not super familiar with what their original TV programming is. Well stuff people couldn't watch on tv.

The stuff I watch most on Netflix are there original TV shows. Not too many movies, maybe the odd documentary, but their new TV shows I watch. The older I get the less time I spend watching old stuff and repeats. So the back catalog isn't quite as important to me as what's currently being made.

I never subbed to Netflix until they were well into making their own content. Now I've enjoyed Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Sense8, Narcos, Trailer Park Boys.. etc...

I think it would be a big blow to Netflix if they lost the original marvel TV shows (which doesn't sound like it's going to happen). What does Disney currently produce for TV that would help drive a streaming channel? IE that you can't get elsewhere (I wouldn't could ABC stuff, because there's alternative ways to access it).
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
12484 posts
1864 upvotes
Toronto
zod wrote:
Aug 18th, 2017 1:40 pm
I never subbed to Netflix until they were well into making their own content. Now I've enjoyed Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Sense8, Narcos, Trailer Park Boys.. etc...
Trailer park boys? Is that NEW content? Or old reruns of content that used to air on Showcase?
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
30404 posts
7497 upvotes
GTHA
playnicee1 wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 8:47 am
Trailer park boys? Is that NEW content? Or old reruns of content that used to air on Showcase?
The original series ended on Showcase December 7, 2008.

In March 2014, Swearnet began co-producing the show. Partnering with the streaming service Netflix, Seasons 8 and 9, as well as 3 new specials were underway.

Season 8 premiered on September 5, 2014, followed by Season 9 which aired on March 27, 2015.

Later that year, the show received the green light for two more seasons, and began production on Season 10. During that time, the Canadian government had granted the cast and crew money to help produce the new season, and a new spin-off series. Season 10 aired to Netflix on March 28, 2016.

A new 8 part series titled, Trailer Park Boys: Out of the Park: Europe, became available for streaming on Netflix on October 28, 2016 (a few months after the release of Season 10). Since it aired, there has been no word yet as to whether Netflix has decided to renew the spin-off series for a second season, or cancel it.

Season 11 (the most recent season in the series), was released on Netflix on March 31, 2017.

On June 19, 2017, the cast confirmed that Trailer Park Boys had been renewed for Season 12. Four weeks later, filming for the new season was underway.

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trailer_Park_Boys
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7888 posts
887 upvotes
Victoria
playnicee1 wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 8:47 am
To shorten the other post. Netflix has both the original seasons that aired on showcase plus a number of new seasons that are only available on netflix. There's also a few specials and a spinoff series where they travel around europe.
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1338 posts
439 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
zod wrote:
Aug 18th, 2017 1:40 pm
I also think it depends on what consumers are looking for. Disney is killing it with movies (Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar?). I'm not super familiar with what their original TV programming is. Well stuff people couldn't watch on tv.

The stuff I watch most on Netflix are there original TV shows. Not too many movies, maybe the odd documentary, but their new TV shows I watch. The older I get the less time I spend watching old stuff and repeats. So the back catalog isn't quite as important to me as what's currently being made.

I think it would be a big blow to Netflix if they lost the original marvel TV shows (which doesn't sound like it's going to happen). What does Disney currently produce for TV that would help drive a streaming channel? IE that you can't get elsewhere (I wouldn't could ABC stuff, because there's alternative ways to access it).
Disney owns ABC and ESPN and marvel

The garbage Netflix marvel shows (god awful) can stay for now though. But the garbage Netflix series are thankfully being killed off but nothing much to replace them with

Amazon video makes much better tv than Netflix as they actually seem to review and projects before greenlight them

The series on Amazon video are so much better and movies too
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
12484 posts
1864 upvotes
Toronto
zod wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 10:11 am
To shorten the other post. Netflix has both the original seasons that aired on showcase plus a number of new seasons that are only available on netflix. There's also a few specials and a spinoff series where they travel around europe.
Yup. Netflix knows what they're doing. Zod, you are correct. Find a way and you can watch any movie online for free (quality pending, ie SD instead of HD quality) but do something original (or Netflix exclusive) and the viewers are suddenly there.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
8114 posts
280 upvotes
Doubleshot wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 2:30 pm
Disney owns ABC and ESPN and marvel

The garbage Netflix marvel shows (god awful) can stay for now though. But the garbage Netflix series are thankfully being killed off but nothing much to replace them with

Amazon video makes much better tv than Netflix as they actually seem to review and projects before greenlight them

The series on Amazon video are so much better and movies too
The Marvel ones have their own following but Netflix have a great catalogue already. Stranger things, House Of Cards, Orange is the new black, Narcos, Master of none, Making a murderer, The crown, bloodline.

Their stand up comedy are also great. Two Chappelle and Jim Jeffreys.

Disney have tons of original content and they can starve Netlix and start buying off content away from them. They have deeper pockets but Netflix is miles ahead from the next competition when it comes to the streaming industry. They didnt get all these subscribers because they have Marvel movies.

Amazon is starting to pick up but they arent Netflix.
#Torontostrong
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
12484 posts
1864 upvotes
Toronto
scoper wrote:
Sep 27th, 2017 11:19 pm
So much for debt, they are pledging to spend $500 million on original Canadian content over 5 years.

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/2 ... ports.html
Since this is a 5 year promise and not a sudden dumping of money,
in simple English, if they invest 100 million in the first of 5 years, and fail to see a return on the investment, it just might be their right to withdraw from their original agreement.
Last edited by playnicee1 on Sep 27th, 2017 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7888 posts
887 upvotes
Victoria
webshark wrote:
Sep 27th, 2017 11:48 pm
Either that or pay tax.
Given that CBC and the private Canadian Networks struggle to make quality can con, it'll be interesting to see what netflix comes up.

I wonder what $100 million dollar budgets would look like for Trailer Park Boys.... lol.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3180 posts
321 upvotes
zod wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 1:27 am
Given that CBC and the private Canadian Networks struggle to make quality can con, it'll be interesting to see what netflix comes up.

I wonder what $100 million dollar budgets would look like for Trailer Park Boys.... lol.

Maybe they'll bring Kenny vs. Spenny back.
Are you a new parent and looking for freebies for your newborn, go here:
Freebies for your Newborn
Updated Feb 2018
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7888 posts
887 upvotes
Victoria
I was thinking more about it. To count as Can Can it has to be produced/filmed in Canada with a certain percentage of the staff (producters etc..) being Canadian right? That's how alot of the sci-fi shows filmed in Vancouver (The DC comic shows, supernatural, sci-fi etc..) can count as can con when aired on space?

It's probably an easy win for Netflix. Anything they make/produce they own global streaming right to, so if they can make quality content in Canada, it can get them viewers worldwide. They only need to make it here, which is already a pretty common thing to do.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
30404 posts
7497 upvotes
GTHA
scoper wrote:
Sep 27th, 2017 11:19 pm
So much for debt, they are pledging to spend $500 million on original Canadian content over 5 years.

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/2 ... ports.html
Related to this deal...

Ottawa's Netflix deal angers culture-conscious Quebec: Hébert
Barely more than half a dozen movies are listed in media giant’s French-Canadian film category and most are translations from English.
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/201 ... uebec.html

Nowhere in Canada is the issue of culture more sensitive than in Quebec. It is seen as central to the province’s collective identity. Stephen Harper’s Conservatives learned that at their expense in 2008. A pre-election round of culture cuts contributed to losing them a coveted governing majority.

It is too early to conclude that Joly’s announcement will similarly damage Trudeau’s Liberals. They are seen as more culture-friendly than their Conservative predecessors, and they have public dollars at their disposal to back up that perception. But Joly’s Netflix deal has elicited more blowback in Quebec than any of her government’s previous policy announcements.