• Jul 5th, 2018 6:24 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
3771 posts
393 upvotes
Ottawa
boonjaca wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 9:39 am
Maybe they'll bring Kenny vs. Spenny back.
I heard that Kenny and Spenny are trying, and would be willing to do a new series. The problem is that they don't have the funding to do it (by comparison, when Trailer Park Boys came back Netflix didn't need to fund their production). Then again, their are getting older (wikipedia says Kenny's 50 and Spenny's 54). I dunno; seeing middle-aged/older men do some of the stuff they did would be kinda awkward.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
3074 posts
919 upvotes
Global Village
Whatever it is I hope it's somewhat original, daring, getting tired of CA show remakes, sequels, US show copycating. Hulu has proven you can take work of CA authors and make it look fresh & compelling with the Handsmaids Tale.
Anthology shows are in now, they should try a Canadian anthology series, they would provide work for many more CA actors, directors, local talent.
All day I dream about sports
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8166 posts
987 upvotes
Victoria
I would love to see a Western :) I mean a real western that takes place in the 1800's. Not like AMC's the son where the bulk of it takes place in the early 1900's where people are driving cars and drilling for oil. That's not really a western.

I mention Western, because I think a lot of them film in Alberta as Canada still has lots of open grasslands. I think Hell on Wheels (from AMC) filmed there.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10087 posts
1452 upvotes
Toronto
zod wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 1:39 pm
I would love to see a Western :) I mean a real western that takes place in the 1800's. Not like AMC's the son where the bulk of it takes place in the early 1900's where people are driving cars and drilling for oil. That's not really a western.

I mention Western, because I think a lot of them film in Alberta as Canada still has lots of open grasslands. I think Hell on Wheels (from AMC) filmed there.
I agree. We need to go back to em ol days with them ol shootout rules and protocol. I've been catching up on some western classics recently and still great. But a modern version of a classic Western series would be great. Probably the issue is alot of writers aren't in tune with Western Story ideas, although you could probably take a lot of contemporary themes and transport it back: "You want to build a multi-story Lodging Inn on my horse stable? There's only one way to settle this"
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8166 posts
987 upvotes
Victoria
at1212b wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 2:09 pm
I agree. We need to go back to em ol days with them ol shootout rules and protocol. I've been catching up on some western classics recently and still great. But a modern version of a classic Western series would be great. Probably the issue is alot of writers aren't in tune with Western Story ideas, although you could probably take a lot of contemporary themes and transport it back: "You want to build a multi-story Lodging Inn on my horse stable? There's only one way to settle this"
Deadwood is absolutely my favourite tv show that's ever been made. Hell on Wheels was decent (with some seasons being better than others). I stopped watching The Son. Other than the flashbacks, it wasn't really a western. I did like a show that aired about 10 or so years ago called Into the West. It was a miniseries that was really good. I can't seem to find it anywhere to rewatch in HD though.

You would think too that you could do Westerns with a reasonable budget. You don't need any special effects. Other than props, wardrobe, a set, and some horses, what else do you need? :)
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10087 posts
1452 upvotes
Toronto
zod wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 2:44 pm
Deadwood is absolutely my favourite tv show that's ever been made. Hell on Wheels was decent (with some seasons being better than others). I stopped watching The Son. Other than the flashbacks, it wasn't really a western. I did like a show that aired about 10 or so years ago called Into the West. It was a miniseries that was really good. I can't seem to find it anywhere to rewatch in HD though.

You would think too that you could do Westerns with a reasonable budget. You don't need any special effects. Other than props, wardrobe, a set, and some horses, what else do you need? :)
Hmm, thanks for the suggestion. I think I will check it out based on the reviews.

What's mainly needed are actors and a good script! I'm sure there are plenty of good actors that can fill the role. I would love an old school type actor like Tommy Lee Jones or Gene Hackman play an authoritative role. Even show casing it around the simple things of life, paying attention to the details that is also educational, let's saying laundry, Tavern owner changing his keg of beer, etc;, I bet would garner a large fan following instead relying on shock and awe type drama shows. Just somewhere you can go and live out in the 'good ol days' of a bygone era.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
1239 posts
911 upvotes
Netflix rising monthly fees for most US subscriptions:
Netflix is squeezing a bit more out of its customers.
The company is raising the prices on its standard and premium streaming subscription services.
The standard service, which allows customers to stream shows and movies in HD on up to two screens at once, is now priced at $10.99 monthly, up from $9.99. The premium service, which provides viewing on up to four screens (plus ultra HD content access), is $13.99, up from $11.99.
The basic service, which enables Netflix (NFLX, Tech30) streaming on one screen and doesn't allow for HD or ultra HD viewing, will remain at $7.99.
But the price change, first reported by Mashable, won't impact existing members yet.
According to a Netflix spokesperson, users will be notified of the new prices based on their billing cycle and will get 30 days notice before the changes takes effect. Netflix will begin notifying members of the change on October 19.
The price increase for new customers in the U.S. became effective on Thursday.
http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/05/technol ... index.html
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8166 posts
987 upvotes
Victoria
at1212b wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 4:35 pm
Hmm, thanks for the suggestion. I think I will check it out based on the reviews.

What's mainly needed are actors and a good script! I'm sure there are plenty of good actors that can fill the role. I would love an old school type actor like Tommy Lee Jones or Gene Hackman play an authoritative role. Even show casing it around the simple things of life, paying attention to the details that is also educational, let's saying laundry, Tavern owner changing his keg of beer, etc;, I bet would garner a large fan following instead relying on shock and awe type drama shows. Just somewhere you can go and live out in the 'good ol days' of a bygone era.
I'm not sure I'd go that far. I more or less like the badassery of the west (as well the freedom aspect).... I guess Deadwood was about a brothel owner, a bank owner, a lady who ran the bank, and some dudes who owned a hardware shop. It was amazing. I wouldn't to see something too tame :)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8166 posts
987 upvotes
Victoria
It's crazy how the streaming war is heating up. I wonder how long we go until it implodes and we see consolidation :)
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16459 posts
1451 upvotes
Space for rent
At $14 a month in thinking about cancelling. It's $10 was the sweet spot. I'm already paying $10-12 for usenet which could get the same content as netfix and much more ur you hve to hunt for it. I mainly watch their old shows anyway like x files star trek and such.

I hope they do stick around. I may cancel and resubscribe in a years time when more she get added but that is not the type of customers that keep them afloat.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
3337 posts
1210 upvotes
Netflix is scared shitless knowing there will come a day, real soon, when content providers will refuse to license streaming to Netflix, regardless of price. I've never seen a company this scared before.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
31934 posts
8254 upvotes
GTHA
Netflix is staring at higher content costs as Disney and Fox hold merger talks
  • Disney has held talks to acquire most of 21st Century Fox's business, sources told CNBC's David Faber.
  • Media companies are merging in part to be more competitive against digital video platforms like Netflix.
  • Netflix's costs are going up.

from https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/06/disney- ... tflix.html
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
31934 posts
8254 upvotes
GTHA
Adding more debt...

Netflix Lures Ryan Murphy in Deal Said to Be Worth Up to $300 Million
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/13/busi ... urphy.html
The streaming giant Netflix has won yet another battle against old Hollywood.

On Tuesday night, Netflix announced that it had poached the hit-making producer Ryan Murphy from 21st Century Fox.

The five-year deal is worth as much as $300 million, according to two people with knowledge of the deal, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss private negotiations. That would be one of the biggest deals ever made for a television producer.