Netflix 2015 price hike (another one)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2020 1:43 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
4042 posts
1202 upvotes
Kingston
Super strokey wrote: I guess I live in a world where if you can't afford a few dollars increase then you shouldn't have had it in the first place.

I know that some are claiming it is not worth the value or something like that but honestly I think it's bologna.
Ppl aren't complaining about the price increase, they are complaining about the price increase along with the lack of new content that goes along with it. Netflix is on the verge of losing a lot of their content this year. Disney is starting their own service, thus Netflix is going to lose all Disney content. Same can be said for all the services that are rumored to be starting up this year. When the dust is all settled after all the players are established, all Netflix will have left is their own original content. Their original content is good and all but not worthy of the price increase when in the end, you are going to be getting less content for more money. Kinda backwards thinking if you ask me....
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
7082 posts
5209 upvotes
The reality is that the price increase puts closer to US pricing.

Currency took a dive and people expect Netflix to just eat it.

Even $16.99 it's still cheaper than the $13.99 in the USA.

Equivalent price would be $18.47 CAD.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
4042 posts
1202 upvotes
Kingston
renoldman wrote: The reality is that the price increase puts closer to US pricing.

If you are splitting the account 4 ways (4 logins) with friends/family, then the price increase is basically irrelevant as it's literally like .50c increase. However, if for whatever reason that you would have this sub and only you use it, then the $3 increase is pretty significant for what you are getting or are going to get later this year
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
9356 posts
2211 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
renoldman wrote: The reality is that the price increase puts closer inline with US pricing.

Do we get equivalent content to the US?
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10331 posts
6696 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
don242 wrote: Do we get equivalent content to the US?
Based on what our family watches pretty much the same. We get US netflix when travel down south.

Yes, there are differences but just from our experience it has lessened in past few years.
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
Super strokey wrote: I guess I live in a world where if you can't afford a few dollars increase then you shouldn't have had it in the first place.

I know that some are claiming it is not worth the value or something like that but honestly I think it's bologna.
I'm with you... for less than the price of a movie ticket or a BluRay, you have access to a pretty good amount and variety of content. It sucks that prices are increasing, and there will be a point where it will no longer worth it to subscribe, but for now I get enough enjoyment out of the shows and movies that I'm ok to pay $14 a month for access.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
2975 posts
2003 upvotes
montreal
Other question related to the 3$ increase ...
In QC, they also started to charge the PST (9.975%).
Is it possible to change our address to another province ?
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10930 posts
3663 upvotes
No increase here yet. Netflix took 11 bucks and stack paid me 11 bucks yesterday.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
3747 posts
909 upvotes
rocking23nf wrote: No increase here yet. Netflix took 11 bucks and stack paid me 11 bucks yesterday.
Lucky you, I kept reading that Netflix was going to do price increase in February.

I look at my Stack account today and was hit with price increase.

I was on the fence if I was going to keep it after Stack stops paying for it but with the increase, lack of content (which will get less in 2019) I am leaning more towards no and especially if they start enforcing you can't share accounts.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10930 posts
3663 upvotes
xiaobao wrote: Lucky you, I kept reading that Netflix was going to do price increase in February.

I look at my Stack account today and was hit with price increase.

I was on the fence if I was going to keep it after Stack stops paying for it but with the increase, lack of content (which will get less in 2019) I am leaning more towards no and especially if they start enforcing you can't share accounts.
did stack pay for the 11$ of it and Netflix charged you 14?
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
3747 posts
909 upvotes
rocking23nf wrote: did stack pay for the 11$ of it and Netflix charged you 14?
Was charged $13.99 and stack gave me $10.99 back
Feb 22, 2017
406 posts
272 upvotes
xiaobao wrote: Was charged $13.99 and stack gave me $10.99 back
I also was charged $13.99 and stack gave me $10.99 back.
honestly i think stack should do the right thing and eat the price hike, they didnt advertise sign up for stack and get $10.99 they advertised getting Netflix Standard.

that said if netflix pulls this crap again its back to there superior free competitors for me.
Netflix is forgetting what made them popular.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
3747 posts
909 upvotes
HiddenEmailer wrote: I also was charged $13.99 and stack gave me $10.99 back.
honestly i think stack should do the right thing and eat the price hike, they didnt advertise sign up for stack and get $10.99 they advertised getting Netflix Standard.

that said if netflix pulls this crap again its back to there superior free competitors for me.
Netflix is forgetting what made them popular.
Would be nice if stack would but. I don't hold it to them. Sure they say get Netflix standard but they make it pretty clear that they only cover $10.99 and I don't blame them using free account instead of get $10.99 off Netflix...

For me once Stack stops subsiding it I am 90% sure I will leave. From everything I read sounds like their library going to get worse before it gets better
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4156 posts
522 upvotes
sorry slihgtly off-topic
i'm on a standard plan that's based in US
if im watching it in canada without VPN, am i accessing US content or is it still canadian content?

just watched bandersnatch, i usually like mindfk thrillers but my head's really spinning now haha
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2017
2542 posts
1049 upvotes
CND Brain & Hear…
twitchyzero wrote: i'm on a standard plan that's based in US
if im watching it in canada without VPN, am i accessing US content or is it still canadian content?
Canadian. why paying US price duh
superbigjay wrote: In QC, they also started to charge the PST (9.975%).
just get a foreign acct LOL
xiaobao wrote: ... they start enforcing you can't share accounts.
-1 you only read either the tile or half of the fact.
They discourage people from oversharing account WITHOUT paying for the appropriate plan
Give me a J. I'm a maniac and an African expert.
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10746 posts
7905 upvotes
Global Village
rocking23nf wrote: No increase here yet. Netflix took 11 bucks and stack paid me 11 bucks yesterday.
Same here, NF had sent me an email that the rate would increase for me in Jan but it didn't. Now they sent me another email that my rate will increase in Feb.
All day I dream about sports

Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii, CIBC Investor's Edge
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
2279 posts
2192 upvotes
With the latest round in price increase, it is time to cancel my subscription sooner than later.
Not all Netflix original series/movies are worth watching on top of those 'limited' contents/choices for canadian subcribers.

Anyone in the same boat?
“Ninety percent of all human wisdom is the ability to mind your own business.”
— Robert A. Heinlein
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2008
1992 posts
461 upvotes
Yup, I will be cancelling mine. I don't even watch it though (10 hours a year maybe) and at 18 bucks a month we're talking quite a bit of money for nothing. Those few movies I want to watch I already need to buy on 4k bluray anyway as Netflix only adds them when they're well past their prime (if at all). If you don't like their original content they are not worth the money.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)