Netflix price hike (another one)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 5th, 2017 8:23 pm
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
19018 posts
119641 upvotes
GTA
With the price of Netflix increasing to $9.99 a month from $7.99 for those of us who have been with them for the last several years, do you see yourself accepting the increase (paying it), staying at $7.99 but downgrading to standard definition quality (SD), or leaving the service?

Personally, I am still undecided. The biggest issues that I have are:

1) The increased fragmentation I am seeing in the content landscape. Rather than work with Netflix on distribution rights/renew existing agreements, networks/content providers are opting to start their own services where their content will exclusively be available. So that takes consumers back to paying for multiple packages just for that one show they want to watch.

2) There is so much more content available on the US Netflix that if Netflix is ultimately successful in blocking US Netflix from Canadians using proxies, I don't know if there is enough worthwhile content on the Canadian side for me to stay. That and I don't know how much longer I can continue to play this cat and mouse game with my VPN provider.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/ne ... -1.3527171
Apr 22, 2009
110 posts
21 upvotes
London
I quite enjoy their original content so I have no problems with the increase.
Jan 10, 2009
480 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
Netflix has only improved over recent years, and their original content is generally pretty good. And Netflix Canada is starting to get decent movies before any other region. $9.99 a month is a decent deal as far as I'm concerned, so I'll pay it.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3838 posts
1036 upvotes
toguy wrote:
Apr 17th, 2016 6:40 am
1) The increased fragmentation I am seeing in the content landscape. Rather than work with Netflix on distribution rights/renew existing agreements, networks/content providers are opting to start their own services where their content will exclusively be available. So that takes consumers back to paying for multiple packages just for that one show they want to watch.
This is because it is not possible to have, say, 100 new shows and generate a profit for $10 a month.

Studios like the idea of licensing older titles because even if they only make $0.10 from a view it's more or less free extra income.

But, newer titles which may have cost $Millions it's hard to accept $0.10 .... especially when the title hasn't made back its production cost.

Viewers have become used to paying a lower price, but it may not be a profitable price for new content.

I know people will say, what about HBO (owned by Time Warner), they make a profit. Yes, but how much new content do they make?

As a consumer, we all want to pay nothing (or close to it). But, it's not realistic. If people want new content it's going to come at a cost.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14051 posts
2326 upvotes
Toronto
I'm staying. IMO the price difference between $7.99 and $9.99 is negligible. If it is worth it at $7.99, then it is worth it at $9.99.

Yes it is a 25% difference, but that 25% is only $2.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1447 upvotes
Pickering
I don't use Netflix, but what are the other options for $10 per month that you consider equal?
Oct 3, 2015
54 posts
11 upvotes
Ontario
I'm on the $11.99 plan. If it was going up I'd still continue to pay for it. My children, who are away at university, share it with us. It's a fabulous deal since we can all be streaming from 4 devices at once. Since we don't have cable we don't mind that some of the shows are older. They are all new to us.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14051 posts
2326 upvotes
Toronto
I will probably upgrade to the $11.99 plan within 12-18 months, since I will buy a 4K large screen TV in that time frame.

BTW, I'm curious if a 4K Chromecast will appear during that timeframe.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
2481 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
Did they implement anti vpn features yet?
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
This line is heavy..
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2654 upvotes
Vancouver
osuman wrote:
Apr 17th, 2016 10:06 am
Did they implement anti vpn features yet?
Been sleeping since January?

Another new anti-customer measure introduced last week: now when Netflix detects a web access to your account from a new location (like using a VPN from your PC), they declare a security issue, possible password compromised, and require you to reset your password on all devices. If you are sharing an account with friends/family, that's going to get old really quick.

As for the original series, since there's no longer any incentive to maintain your existing account, just subscribe for 1 month in 3 and watch any new favourites during the month you subscribe.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
24888 posts
2581 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
toguy wrote:
Apr 17th, 2016 6:40 am
That and I don't know how much longer I can continue to play this cat and mouse game with my VPN provider.
If you're already paying extra for the VPN, what's an extra $2
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
2481 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
JamesA1 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2016 10:21 am
Been sleeping since January?

Another new anti-customer measure introduced last week: now when Netflix detects a web access to your account from a new location (like using a VPN from your PC), they declare a security issue, possible password compromised, and require you to reset your password on all devices. If you are sharing an account with friends/family, that's going to get old really quick.

As for the original series, since there's no longer any incentive to maintain your existing account, just subscribe for 1 month in 3 and watch any new favourites during the month you subscribe.
I see, thanks. I left after first seeing news about anti-vpn plans.
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
This line is heavy..