Entertainment

Netflix 2015 price hike (another one)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2020 1:43 pm
Nov 7, 2013
601 posts
189 upvotes
the 604
XtremeModder wrote: Until I no longer have access to my friends ex girlfriends account I'll continue to use it.

Dec 6, 2005
422 posts
83 upvotes
I don't watch my Netflxi very often, and I am a long time subscriber. The only show I watch it for is OITNB. I plan to cancel it, and re-subscribe when the new season is out. I haven't cancelled in the past because I wanted to pay the grandfathered rates, but now that is out the window, I will be cancelling.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
Haha, nice.

Well the account was left on the ps4, so every now and then I'll find something on there, I found Brickleberry, never heard of it so started watching it, unfortunately it got cancelled because it was damn hilarious.

Other than that I don't find that there's much on there, I can load up kodi with certain add ons and get every single movie and TV show I want for free. I could care less if I lost the Netflix access
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
kcorscadden wrote: Since Amazon is new to online streaming...
Amazon streaming video service has been operating since 2008. In the U.S. it's a rival to Netflix and Hulu. It is available in several countries, but not Canada. Lots of Canadians access it via VPN though.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2006
2873 posts
70 upvotes
Windsor
I'll pay the increase, it mostly watch Netflix at home. Its the only thing the kids watch and about 50% of what my wife and I watch. Also this is the first price increase in years, my cable bill goes up this much every 6 months and I only keep it for the sports.

Lots of new original content too, if I could get a standalone HBO streaming option in Canada I would be all set and cancel my cable.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
I mostly use netflix for their original programming. I often subscribe for a month, catch up on the new show(s) I wanted to watch and cancel again. It's the opposite of the HBO effect where HBO airs there shows every week so you need a 3 or 4 month subscription to watch a season of something. Netflix, I can get in and out, and cancel again. I don't think $9.99's a bad price, not when I get watch a whole season of a TV show (sometimes two shows come out in the same month, even better). Thus I only pay for 3 or 4 months during the year.

The $2 price bump didn't impact that behavior at all.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8976 posts
2827 upvotes
I'm on the cancelling train. I only log about 3 hours of neflix a month. Think I'll be fine without it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
Netflix shares drop 12% after Q1 results fall short of expectations and company warns of reduced growth due to "headwinds": http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/19 ... 6_results/

"When asked about the impact of the VPN changes on the results, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings brushed the issue aside as a minor detail that doesn’t impact the bigger picture in any way.
“It’s a very small but quite vocal minority. So it’s really inconsequential to us, as you could see in the Q1 results,” Hastings said during the earnings call."

https://torrentfreak.com/netflix-vpn-bl ... us-190416/
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8427 posts
4672 upvotes
Durham
NetFlix. CraveTV. Shomi (dead before it can actually fly). Never used them and will never use them.

Got plenty of places to download HD & BluRay quality drama series / movies. Don't care if it comes with subtitles.

Once you have unlimited internet ... why pay more for something that you can find at no charge?

As long as you are not selling the downloaded stuff ... it's all good.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2010
3784 posts
181 upvotes
Barrie
AV-Fishing wrote: NetFlix. CraveTV. Shomi (dead before it can actually fly). Never used them and will never use them.

Got plenty of places to download HD & BluRay quality drama series / movies. Don't care if it comes with subtitles.

Once you have unlimited internet ... why pay more for something that you can find at no charge?

Someone has to get paid to make all that content, so the reason why other people should pay more is so that you can keep downloading it. :twisted:
We don't know, so it's possible. And it's possible, so it's probably probable.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2014
6052 posts
4059 upvotes
Parry Sound
As of this moment I support Netflix 100% and they have earned every last dime I've given them.

If that changes, I'll cancel.
This message has not been approved by The Office of The Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21784 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
I'm surprised they've kept their rates this low for so long. I'm still on the grandfathered rate of $7.99 (I think), but I'm more than okay with paying $10 for it. I don't watch it all the time, but frequently enough that it's still a good value for me.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
6089 posts
4352 upvotes
Agafaba wrote:
AV-Fishing wrote: NetFlix. CraveTV. Shomi (dead before it can actually fly). Never used them and will never use them.

Someone has to get paid to make all that content, so the reason why other people should pay more is so that you can keep downloading it. :twisted:
They are still getting millions of dollars -way more than enough. The reason that you have to pay more and there are regional restrictions is greed.
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
18046 posts
980 upvotes
hvwozq wrote:
Agafaba wrote:

They are still getting millions of dollars -way more than enough. The reason that you have to pay more and there are regional restrictions is greed.
Justify it to your self however you want, no one else is falling for it.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
Is there anything to stop one from quitting for a month or two and then rejoining again repeatedly?

Sometimes I don't find myself using it much for a few months, so it would be better to just cancel it for a while, and then rejoin to binge watch the new shows that come out that I missed.
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
warpdrive wrote: Is there anything to stop one from quitting for a month or two and then rejoining again repeatedly?

Sometimes I don't find myself using it much for a few months, so it would be better to just cancel it for a while, and then rejoin to binge watch the new shows that come out that I missed.
Nothing and if you rejoin within 10 months your account closes from your previous cancellation, your Watch Instantly Activity will still be there.

"We'll keep your Watch Instantly Activity for 10 months after your account closes, so if you decide to come back during that time, you can pick up right where you left off."
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/407
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
Netflix Canada hikes prices as streaming competition heats up
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/report ... e35934524/

It’s the first price increase in nearly two years for the company, but it only affects users in Canada.

Netflix's standard plan will now cost a dollar more – or $10.99 a month – to watch content on two screens at a time.

The basic plan, which does not offer high definition video and only permits one streaming screen at a time, also goes up a dollar to $8.99 a month.

Premium plan subscribers will pay $2 more for up to four simultaneous streams and ultra high-definition 4K content. It will now cost $13.99 monthly.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)