Entertainment

Netflix price hike (another one)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 5th, 2017 8:23 pm
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
21536 posts
2332 upvotes
1. No one in their right mind would downgrade to SD in this day and age...not unless they're somehow still using an SDTV.

2. If people are seriously cancelling their Netflix over a $2/month increase...there is something seriously wrong with those people. $2/month is like 7 cents/day, or $24/year. If this kind of "additional spending" is upsetting to someone, they must have a lot more worries than having streaming content.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2654 upvotes
Vancouver
No one in their right mind would fail to consider downgrading to SD as an alternative to canceling service. Say for example they use Netflix mostly for entertaining kids, or they have an Android media player that only supports Netflix in SD, or a low-bandwidth internet plan.

There's something seriously wrong with RFDers who don't consider a 25% price increase for a service to be significant. If they increased the toll on a bridge you used from $8 to $10, would you think that was significant? If your next cup of coffee and donut at the coffee shop went up from $8 to $10, would you think that was significant? Why should Netflix get a pass on an outrageous price increase?
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
21536 posts
2332 upvotes
JamesA1 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2016 2:12 pm
No one in their right mind would fail to consider downgrading to SD as an alternative to canceling service. Say for example they use Netflix mostly for entertaining kids, or they have an Android media player that only supports Netflix in SD, or a low-bandwidth internet plan.
Uh yeah whatever. Sure man go back like 2 decades to the horrible quality of SD to save less than $25...a year. Makes lots of sense...for someone that is not in their right mind as I said. Oh yeah and I guess kids are fine to watch crap like SD and we might as well feed them dog food too, right? Because they don't need anything better and can't possibly appreciate the difference! Kids or not, "25%" less is not worth it for quality that is 75% less.

I guess I paid thousands for the TVs in my house...just to watch the quality that would be appropriate on TVs you can get for free on kijiji, etc. You know to save $24 a year. Yeah that seems sane alright?
JamesA1 wrote:
There's something seriously wrong with RFDers who don't consider a 25% price increase for a service to be significant. If they increased the toll on a bridge you used from $8 to $10, would you think that was significant?
LMAO at this "25%" horse manure. Yes it's "25%", sure. But in absolute terms, it's still $2.00. If the 25% was $200 then that'd be something but it's not it's two freaking dollars! Given the dollar has sunk 40% over the past couple years and many things are that much more expensive for "no reason at all" I'm pretty sure this "25%" which is again $2, is no big deal for anyone sane.

And in case you were wondering the bridge tolls (at the border) have gone up by way more than 25%, again simply because of the dollar. Where are all the threads complaining about that? Oh right there aren't any because it's not that big a deal and at the end of the day guess what? Everyone is still paying the increase anyway.
JamesA1 wrote:
If your next cup of coffee and donut at the coffee shop went up from $8 to $10, would you think that was significant?
A cup of coffee is (for most) a daily purchase. That $2/day would turn into like $700 year. Yes that is significant. If you bought this $8 coffee (who the hell buys an $8 coffee anyway?) once per month, then no the $2 would be meaningless to anyone other than Dr. Pennypincher Cheapskate.
JamesA1 wrote:
Why should Netflix get a pass on an outrageous price increase?
LMFAO man. Keep going on about this "outrageous" 25% increase while as I said all kinds of other products (particularly computer and technology items) have gone up by some 30-40% in recent times all in the name of currency. And I'm pretty sure not many people's paycheque has gone up by anything near that meaning that should be much more of a concern that $24 in a year on a Netflix increase.

25%... :rolleyes: Gimme a break.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
19018 posts
119641 upvotes
GTA
tekkamanraiden wrote:
Apr 17th, 2016 7:04 am
I quite enjoy their original content so I have no problems with the increase.
That is a good point - pretty much all of their original content has rave reviews. That being said, the only Netflix original series I have watched thus far was that Aziz Ansari show and I thought it was very well done.
Gee wrote:
Apr 17th, 2016 10:52 am
If you're already paying extra for the VPN, what's an extra $2
But if that VPN is now pointless because of geoblocking then...

My point was that I don't want to have to open a ticket with my VPN provider/have Netflix US not work whenever I am trying to watch something. Perhaps they will always be able to come up with a work around, but it's annoying nonetheless.
ES_Revenge wrote:
Apr 17th, 2016 11:11 am
1. No one in their right mind would downgrade to SD in this day and age...not unless they're somehow still using an SDTV.

2. If people are seriously cancelling their Netflix over a $2/month increase...there is something seriously wrong with those people. $2/month is like 7 cents/day, or $24/year. If this kind of "additional spending" is upsetting to someone, they must have a lot more worries than having streaming content.
It's not that the increase is going to break me or anything, but it's more about a price increase/product change triggering a re-evaluation of what value you are deriving from the service. It happens all the time in business and with consumers as well (as it should). It so happens that this increase is coinciding with the geoblocking measures, and if I'm going to be losing out on access to a significantly larger content library and at the same time, the price is increased, it would only stand to reason that I would question why I should pay more for less.

That being said, perhaps I should have prefaced the OP with the fact that I am on the lower end of the spectrum when it comes to actual usage, so I may not be considered an average user. The majority of the usage is on the weekends, and just a small amount weeknights (very often no usage). I do have my own ripped shows, regular OTA TV that we watch, so I am not 'dependent' on the service by any means.
Oct 24, 2013
462 posts
90 upvotes
Ontario
My internet at home is only 3.5mbit downstream. I usually cant hd-stream youtube nor netflix as long as my kids are awake anyways.

So downgrading to sd is an option. Lol
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4661 upvotes
I've paid much more for much less.
Heck I'd be willing to pay more than $10.
ES_Revenge wrote:
Apr 17th, 2016 11:11 am
I would. In fact I am. Well not with Netflix but with all the other TV I acquire.
I can't afford the space of HD.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
6966 posts
915 upvotes
Winnipeg
I could see paying more for 4k that option would make sense for a hike
Nov 19, 2011
283 posts
60 upvotes
Waterloo
Actually now peopl ewho use old tube tv to watch Netflix that sad option has some customers lol. If fact they asked me how they can turn off he so they save on data (no idea how but now I can say just pay less :p)
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2004
4410 posts
2056 upvotes
Vancouver
Going to cancel for sure. Not because of the $2 extra but because we never watch it anymore. Might give it another shot again in 2 years or so, when there's more/different content on there.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8170 posts
597 upvotes
Toronto
Until I no longer have access to my friends ex girlfriends account I'll continue to use it. Otherwise I use kodi + addons
Dec 16, 2015
620 posts
215 upvotes
Canada
toguy wrote:
Apr 17th, 2016 6:10 pm
That is a good point - pretty much all of their original content has rave reviews. That being said, the only Netflix original series I have watched thus far was that Aziz Ansari show and I thought it was very well done.

But if that VPN is now pointless because of geoblocking then...

My point was that I don't want to have to open a ticket with my VPN provider/have Netflix US not work whenever I am trying to watch something. Perhaps they will always be able to come up with a work around, but it's annoying nonetheless.

It's not that the increase is going to break me or anything, but it's more about a price increase/product change triggering a re-evaluation of what value you are deriving from the service. It happens all the time in business and with consumers as well (as it should). It so happens that this increase is coinciding with the geoblocking measures, and if I'm going to be losing out on access to a significantly larger content library and at the same time, the price is increased, it would only stand to reason that I would question why I should pay more for less.

That being said, perhaps I should have prefaced the OP with the fact that I am on the lower end of the spectrum when it comes to actual usage, so I may not be considered an average user. The majority of the usage is on the weekends, and just a small amount weeknights (very often no usage). I do have my own ripped shows, regular OTA TV that we watch, so I am not 'dependent' on the service by any means.
Its $2. Get a life if you are complaining about it...
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
19018 posts
119641 upvotes
GTA
Redsanta wrote:
Apr 17th, 2016 10:04 pm
Its $2. Get a life if you are complaining about it...
You don't seem to know the difference between complaining and discussing, but thanks anyway for your valuable insight.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
2924 posts
208 upvotes
Kingston
I have the $11.99 plan, but that is only because we share the plan with multiple ppl or else I would be on the minimum plan. A $2 increase is justified imo as when was the last time they increased their price on that plan, or any plan for that matter? Let's think about this for a sec, Bell/Rogers/Cogeco/etc increase their prices quarterly it seems, everyone complains and rightfully so. Netflix is increasing their price for the first time in I am guessing yrs, so what's the big deal? Now if Netflix increases their prices again in 6 months or a yr, then yes now we have something to complain about.

There is also the fact that Netflix produces their own content like House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Full House, etc and those shows aren't exactly cheap to make. So if Netflix continues to produce original content like those shows, then the price increase is fine by me.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
2924 posts
208 upvotes
Kingston
JamesA1 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2016 10:37 pm
Amazon will offer video for $8.99/month separately from Prime: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/a ... ate-884612
Undercutting Netflix, who is also raising their U.S. price to $9.99/month.
Will Amazon have the same shows/movies or as many as Netflix? Undercutting is one thing if you offer the same product, but if you are offering a lesser product, then ya it should be cheaper as you are offering less. Since Amazon is new to online streaming, it will either be a smashing success or an absolute failure like Shomi and Crave have been. Also since it is new, this could be an introductory price to lure you in. I guess we'll see what the reviews are when they launch. Right now, Netflix is the one to beat, and nobody is even close to them in terms of amount of content, no freezing/lag and price