Netflix price hike (another one)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2017 7:23 pm
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
13813 posts
1405 upvotes
Toronto
I'm surprised they've kept their rates this low for so long. I'm still on the grandfathered rate of $7.99 (I think), but I'm more than okay with paying $10 for it. I don't watch it all the time, but frequently enough that it's still a good value for me.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
3550 posts
1412 upvotes
Agafaba wrote:
Oct 21st, 2016 7:43 pm
AV-Fishing wrote:
Oct 21st, 2016 7:12 pm
NetFlix. CraveTV. Shomi (dead before it can actually fly). Never used them and will never use them.

Got plenty of places to download HD & BluRay quality drama series / movies. Don't care if it comes with subtitles.

Once you have unlimited internet ... why pay more for something that you can find at no charge?

As long as you are not selling the downloaded stuff ... it's all good.
Someone has to get paid to make all that content, so the reason why other people should pay more is so that you can keep downloading it. :twisted:
They are still getting millions of dollars -way more than enough. The reason that you have to pay more and there are regional restrictions is greed.
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
16546 posts
334 upvotes
hvwozq wrote:
Oct 25th, 2016 12:12 pm
Agafaba wrote:
Oct 21st, 2016 7:43 pm
AV-Fishing wrote:
Oct 21st, 2016 7:12 pm
NetFlix. CraveTV. Shomi (dead before it can actually fly). Never used them and will never use them.

Got plenty of places to download HD & BluRay quality drama series / movies. Don't care if it comes with subtitles.

Once you have unlimited internet ... why pay more for something that you can find at no charge?

As long as you are not selling the downloaded stuff ... it's all good.
Someone has to get paid to make all that content, so the reason why other people should pay more is so that you can keep downloading it. :twisted:
They are still getting millions of dollars -way more than enough. The reason that you have to pay more and there are regional restrictions is greed.
Justify it to your self however you want, no one else is falling for it.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10308 posts
1502 upvotes
Ottawa
Is there anything to stop one from quitting for a month or two and then rejoining again repeatedly?

Sometimes I don't find myself using it much for a few months, so it would be better to just cancel it for a while, and then rejoin to binge watch the new shows that come out that I missed.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
24383 posts
5239 upvotes
GTHA
warpdrive wrote:
Oct 25th, 2016 8:23 pm
Is there anything to stop one from quitting for a month or two and then rejoining again repeatedly?

Sometimes I don't find myself using it much for a few months, so it would be better to just cancel it for a while, and then rejoin to binge watch the new shows that come out that I missed.
Nothing and if you rejoin within 10 months your account closes from your previous cancellation, your Watch Instantly Activity will still be there.

"We'll keep your Watch Instantly Activity for 10 months after your account closes, so if you decide to come back during that time, you can pick up right where you left off."
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/407
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
24383 posts
5239 upvotes
GTHA
Netflix Canada hikes prices as streaming competition heats up
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/report ... e35934524/

It’s the first price increase in nearly two years for the company, but it only affects users in Canada.

Netflix's standard plan will now cost a dollar more – or $10.99 a month – to watch content on two screens at a time.

The basic plan, which does not offer high definition video and only permits one streaming screen at a time, also goes up a dollar to $8.99 a month.

Premium plan subscribers will pay $2 more for up to four simultaneous streams and ultra high-definition 4K content. It will now cost $13.99 monthly.
Dec 28, 2006
850 posts
165 upvotes
Hmmm. I was on the fence about cutting Netflix before and I think this pushes it over the line for me.

It's great value depending on how much you use it, but I don't think I can justify $11 a month.

Also very curious that they raised the price with the CAD doing so well.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
24383 posts
5239 upvotes
GTHA
Ixidor wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 11:02 am
Hmmm. I was on the fence about cutting Netflix before and I think this pushes it over the line for me.

It's great value depending on how much you use it, but I don't think I can justify $11 a month.

Also very curious that they raised the price with the CAD doing so well.
Read the Globe article?

Netflix says it made the decision in an effort to bolster its content and services.

"From time to time, Netflix plans and pricing are adjusted as we add more exclusive TV shows and movies, introduce new product features and improve the overall Netflix experience, to help members find something great to watch even faster," it said in a statement.

Netflix also faces a growing number of other competitors who are seeking the Canadian rights for buzzworthy TV series and movies, and potentially driving up the acquisition costs.
Dec 28, 2006
850 posts
165 upvotes
tk1000 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 11:09 am
Read the Globe article?

Netflix says it made the decision in an effort to bolster its content and services.

"From time to time, Netflix plans and pricing are adjusted as we add more exclusive TV shows and movies, introduce new product features and improve the overall Netflix experience, to help members find something great to watch even faster," it said in a statement.

Netflix also faces a growing number of other competitors who are seeking the Canadian rights for buzzworthy TV series and movies, and potentially driving up the acquisition costs.
I did read the article, my comment was in reference to:

"Netflix says it made the decision in an effort to bolster its content and services. The price change only impacts Canadian subscribers."

Their USD revenue from Canadian subscribers has increased significantly as the dollar has increased. It remains odd that they decided to add in a price increase to only Canadian subscribers at this time. A price increase across the board would have made more sense if they wanted to "bolster its content and services".
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2003
9993 posts
355 upvotes
I know Netflix is spending a lot of money on creating content but this is the news this week:
1-Disney pulling content from Netflix, launching their own streaming service
2-CBS expands all access to Canada*
3-Netflix raises prices in Canada

How does this make any sense? In what multiverse is more competition a sign that it's time to raise your prices?

*One last edit to say, Star Trek Discovery will not be available to Canadians buying this service.
Last edited by Feneant on Aug 10th, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
KitKat item collector- always looking for swag or branded items.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7849 posts
743 upvotes
Licensing rights are region specific if memory serves (hence why Netflix US has different content than Netflix Canada) so maybe they're regionalizing the prices to match? Like if they want to license more shows for Canadian Netflix, they made the decision to have Canadian customers support the extra costs?

$1/month won't break the bank for most people (and if it does I'd argue about the decision of having Netflix in the first place).
Jun 29, 2010
726 posts
151 upvotes
For anyone with Netflix Canada, do you get charged taxes on that rate? I have Netflix USA and the charge is $9.99 US no tax.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7175 posts
677 upvotes
Victoria
Feneant wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 12:00 pm
aises prices in Canada

How does this make any sense? In what multiverse is more competition a sign that it's time to raise your prices?
It doesn't but its where streaming is going. Not only is it starting to fragment content among various streaming services, but it creates competitive bids for content that isn't locked to a specific streaming service. IE the costs for 3rd party content keeps going up as more services compete to acquire the rights.

Netflix had it easier when they were the only kid on the block and the only one bidding on streaming content. When that started to erode, they started making original content that they could maintain full control over.

I don't think 10.99 causes me to cancel netflix. I still feel Netflix at 10.99 is worth more to me than HBO at a higher prices (probably because i've already seen the TV shows in HBO's back catalog that I want to see and own my favourites on bluray). $10.99 might be a psychological barrier though to new customers. Being under $10 and over $10 could have an impact that way.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16381 posts
903 upvotes
Niagara Falls
tk1000 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 10:41 am
Netflix Canada hikes prices as streaming competition heats up
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/report ... e35934524/

It’s the first price increase in nearly two years for the company, but it only affects users in Canada.

Netflix's standard plan will now cost a dollar more – or $10.99 a month – to watch content on two screens at a time.

The basic plan, which does not offer high definition video and only permits one streaming screen at a time, also goes up a dollar to $8.99 a month.

Premium plan subscribers will pay $2 more for up to four simultaneous streams and ultra high-definition 4K content. It will now cost $13.99 monthly.

Not cool. Lets see how angry I start getting. I mean I get full use out of Netflix, my kid watches it a lot but usually just the same 4 or 5 movies. However they are starting to do yearly increases and I'm not going to keep eating those increases.