• Last Updated:
  • Oct 5th, 2017 8:23 pm
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1344 posts
437 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
https://www.thestar.com/business/tech_n ... anada.html
Watching your favourite shows on Netflix Canada just got a little more expensive.

The popular video streaming service is hiking prices for new members effective immediately. It will do the same for existing users after notifying them by email in the coming weeks.

Netflix’s standard plan will now cost a dollar more — or $10.99 a month — to watch content on two screens at a time.

The basic plan, which does not offer high definition video and only permits one streaming screen at a time, also goes up a dollar to $8.99 a month.

Premium plan subscribers will pay $2 more for up to four simultaneous streams and ultra high-definition 4K content. It will now cost $13.99 monthly.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16235 posts
1048 upvotes
Woodbridge
No interest I only have it because of the Rogers & Samsung S8 promotion.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7934 posts
777 upvotes
Ottawa
Shoot! Now I can't get that extra Timmies coffee this month...
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
1234 posts
172 upvotes
Scarborough
Feneant wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 12:00 pm
I know Netflix is spending a lot of money on creating content but this is the news this week:
1-Disney pulling content from Netflix, launching their own streaming service
2-CBS expands all access to Canada*
3-Netflix raises prices in Canada

How does this make any sense? In what multiverse is more competition a sign that it's time to raise your prices?

*One last edit to say, Star Trek Discovery will not be available to Canadians buying this service.
1) Doesn't affect canadians (for now)

and in last weeks news Netflix is in billions of dollars of debt.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2010
4351 posts
1888 upvotes
Mississauga
9.99 was the sweet spot, especially since I can use a streaming website within 30 seconds and have a show streaming in HD with a pop up blocker.

Since access to downloads/streams is very easy, you have to priced competitively moving forward.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
3913 posts
1283 upvotes
BC
tk1000 wrote:
Aug 20th, 2017 3:52 pm
Quebecer seeks to file class action against Netflix over fee hikes without warning
Suit seeks reimbursement of fee hike and several million in punitive damages

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ ... -1.4251180
Maybe this recent Canada-only rate increase is due to potential losses from this litigation.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
Dec 28, 2007
53 posts
8 upvotes
Ontario
oh well can find many programs on kodi anyways
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
25660 posts
5841 upvotes
GTHA
Netflix will be raising prices on its middle and top tier plans in the U.S. starting in November. Subscribers who currently pay for the standard $9.99 service will be charged $10.99. The price of the premium tier will rise from $11.99 to $13.99.

The basic price plan will be staying at $7.99 for now.

from http://mashable.com/2017/10/05/netflix- ... DDdqRadsqw
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7369 posts
739 upvotes
Victoria
10.99 isn't horrible, but if they can't figure out a way to whole 3rd party content, and it becomes all about the original programming, I think it's a bit steep.

I'd only pay for my sub on month a new show dropped, but I skimp out on the cable bill (basic+sports) so there's nothing to watch on it except news and sports. My better half likes having it, and it's not that expensive.