Netflix Question - Media Hint

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2012 1:45 pm
Tags:
None
May 26, 2009
23 posts

Netflix Question - Media Hint

i just signed for a 30 day trial, and access netflix.com ... to get US content, i downloaded a mozilla extension called Media Hint

Has anyone used this? Is it safe?

When i tried it, it seemed to work - when i logged in I could view US content like "The office" and "South Park TV shows"

but i want to view Canada content as well, as i noticed there is alot of diff content on CAN like "UFC", or "Grown Ups" "Just go with it" which isn't on the US site.

But now whenever i log into US, i can't seem to view those titles anymore - even after disabling, deleting the add-in, and clearing history

anyone know whats going on? does this add-in change your IP or something?

Thanks!!
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2635 upvotes
Vancouver
Media Hint is a DNS redirection service like unblock-us, except that it's offered as a browser add-in for Chrome and Firefox. They don't publish the DNS addresses though, so you can't use them for other devices like your video player. Is it safe to use? Probably, but it's relatively new and doesn't have a lot of history. I've tried it, and it seems to work ok. Some positive reviews for the Firefox add-in, no negative ones.

As for that N...x service you mentioned, they are nice enough to offer a single account that you can pay for in Canada and then access in any country where you happen to be located at the time. You see the content for the country you are accessing from. If your IP address is in Canada, you see only Canadian content. If your IP address is in the U.S., you see only U.S. content. If you want to access both with a VPN or DNS redirection service, you can turn it on and off to change your location. In the case of Media Hint, you should disable the browser add-in when you aren't actively using it to access a service that needs redirection.

This is probably a vain request, but please everyone let's not make a big noise about it! Any time a useful free service like this shows up, people splash the news all over, and about a week later the service is overwhelmed and they turn it off. It's best not to mention the names of prominent services you are accessing in the same thread as the access method in order to avoid making a big target.
[OP]
May 26, 2009
23 posts
thanks, but i am still confused, even after disabling and even deleting i can't view things i could normally:

example: yesterday i could watch a documentary called "Inside Job" (before installing add-in) ... now i can't when logging into NX (even after deleting add-in)... why is this happening?
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3098 posts
174 upvotes
Calgary
Remember, not all Canadian Netflix content is available on US Netflix. US Netflix isn't just "more". You can use one or the other, but not both. You'd need to change your settings back to get the Canadian content that you aren't seeing now.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2635 upvotes
Vancouver
dhillon33 wrote:
Dec 10th, 2012 10:03 am
thanks, but i am still confused, even after disabling and even deleting i can't view things i could normally:

example: yesterday i could watch a documentary called "Inside Job" (before installing add-in) ... now i can't when logging into NX (even after deleting add-in)... why is this happening?
"Inside Job" is available in Canada. Clear your browser cache?
[OP]
May 26, 2009
23 posts
argh this is crazy and driving me nuts, even after clearing history it's stuck to US content!

even tried logging in through internet explorer...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2635 upvotes
Vancouver
Flush your DNS cache.

In Win7:
- In the Search box of the Start button, type cmd.exe
- Right click on the cmd.exe program and choose "Run as Administrator"
- Type in the command "ipconfig /flushdns"
[OP]
May 26, 2009
23 posts
got the confirm saying DNS cache cleared but no luck ... i have win XP, not sure if thats diff than win7

should i call NX? maybe some settings have changed on the acct.. surely i am doing something wrong, as it appears to only be happening for me..

thanks for your help anyways!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2635 upvotes
Vancouver
The method to access the cache clearing function is slightly different with XP, but the function itself is the same. I think that's all you can try for the moment. It's a little odd that it's persistent like that. Nx does not remember the country you last accessed from - you can change back and forth in a minute with no problems as far as your account is concerned. If you have turned off the redirection (what Media Hint does) and flushed the DNS cache on your computer, it must be cached somewhere else in the chain. DO NOT call Nx for help! [that should be rule #1 if you're going to experiment with bypassing their access restrictions!]. Give it 24 hours and make sure you reboot your computer and your router to see if it clears up.
× < >