Netflix to sharply increase prices for Streaming, Dvd's

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2011 4:44 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
7139 posts
1684 upvotes

Netflix to sharply increase prices for Streaming, Dvd's

It seems the monthly price would be $15.98 every month. Well I guess it was only a matter of time, hopefully they increase their selection as well - I wouldnt mind paying extra if its justified.
RALEIGH, N.C. — Netflix Inc. has announced they are changing their subscription plan in a way that sharply increases the monthly rate for those wanting both DVD rentals by mail and the company's streaming content.

Currently, Netflix charges $9.99 per month for unlimited DVD rentals by mail, with one DVD rented at a time, plus unlimited streaming content. Customers access streaming content online, through gaming consoles such as Sony's PlayStation or Nintendo's Wii, or via mobile devices.

The new plan, which takes effect for current subscribers on Sept. 1, charges $7.99 per month for DVDs only and an additional $7.99 for streaming. New subscribers get the new rates immediately.

Netflix said the old plan didn't "make great financial sense" for them.

Unsurprisingly, the announcement has prompted criticism from current subscribers, who say they wouldn't mind paying more for the instant content if Netflix's streaming catalog were larger.
Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Netfli ... z1S0XHFn5P
Nothing is true, everything is permitted - Ezio Auditore.
9 replies
Dec 20, 2010
288 posts
62 upvotes
Does this apply to Netflix.ca also?

Because if so ... see ya later Netflix! ;)
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
16273 posts
267 upvotes
Ntfix canada is streaming only so it will stay at 8 bucks. This is obviously an attempt by them to urge more peopel to stream exclusively as that costs them less and likely makes them more money. I see no issue with this. YOu can choose DVD only for 8 bucks or stream for 8 bucks or both for 16.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
5833 posts
502 upvotes
London
Looks like news reporters in Canada dropped the ball on that announcement kinda. It's reported on several online news sources, as well I even got an it included in a news email from a local radio station. I'm not sure why all these Canadian sources need to report that the USA prices are going up, a service that isn't even available in Canada. Most of the reports don't explicitly say Canadian pricing isn't changing, but it seems that is the case. USA prices are going up 60% if you do the DVD thing, but streaming for Canada and USA is staying the same. If any pricing is changing for your service you should expect an email directly from Neftlix to your inbox.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
7139 posts
1684 upvotes
Super strokey wrote:
Jul 13th, 2011 5:57 pm
Ntfix canada is streaming only so it will stay at 8 bucks. This is obviously an attempt by them to urge more peopel to stream exclusively as that costs them less and likely makes them more money. I see no issue with this. YOu can choose DVD only for 8 bucks or stream for 8 bucks or both for 16.

The wording is confusing, but I guess they are increasing prices to both including those who only have monthly streaming plan.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
7139 posts
1684 upvotes
redgrandam wrote:
Jul 13th, 2011 6:02 pm
Looks like news reporters in Canada dropped the ball on that announcement kinda. It's reported on several online news sources, as well I even got an it included in a news email from a local radio station. I'm not sure why all these Canadian sources need to report that the USA prices are going up, a service that isn't even available in Canada. Most of the reports don't explicitly say Canadian pricing isn't changing, but it seems that is the case. USA prices are going up 60% if you do the DVD thing, but streaming for Canada and USA is staying the same. If any pricing is changing for your service you should expect an email directly from Neftlix to your inbox.

Thanks.. Crossing my fingers.. Hope you are right.. It would suck to pay that much for the low content.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
5833 posts
502 upvotes
London
mrperfect wrote:
Jul 13th, 2011 6:04 pm
Thanks.. Crossing my fingers.. Hope you are right.. It would suck to pay that much for the low content.

yeah, reading it again, the price increase seems to be for the DVD/Streaming combo that WAS 9.99 USD, is now 16USD.. no word anywhere about increasing 'streaming' only... But for them to say you are paying for DVD then add more to get streaming is very incorrect it seems, as I thought it worked the other way in the US.. and again, not even remotely applicable for Canada, hence my comments about bad research by the journalist... boo
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2005
4444 posts
105 upvotes
:facepalm:

Stupid journalists looking to get hits and readers for their articles. This doesn't apply to Netflix Canada, as the pricing for streaming-only is the same $8 in the States as it is in Canada. We don't even have a DVD option, and we never will.

I don't even see why there needs to be a thread about this since we're in Canada, not the States.
Heatware
[73 - 0 - 0]

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
7139 posts
1684 upvotes
Dark-Colonel wrote:
Jul 13th, 2011 6:31 pm
:facepalm:

Stupid journalists looking to get hits and readers for their articles. This doesn't apply to Netflix Canada, as the pricing for streaming-only is the same $8 in the States as it is in Canada. We don't even have a DVD option, and we never will.

I don't even see why there needs to be a thread about this since we're in Canada, not the States.

Because this article was in a Vancouver BC newspaper, not Vancouver Washington.
Some people (including me) use Netflix US so if there is a change to the pricing it will affect us regardless.
As the other poster mentioned the news story is sensationalism, there they did dropped on the ball, and at least "had me" with their reporting.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2005
4444 posts
105 upvotes
mrperfect wrote:Because this article was in a Vancouver BC newspaper, not Vancouver Washington.
I wasn't talking about where the article was published, but why a US-only affected news story needs our attention/discussion here.
mrperfect wrote:Some people (including me) use Netflix US so if there is a change to the pricing it will affect us regardless.
Yes but you don't use netflix's dvd-mail option, which is the service that has been affected, not their streaming service.
mrperfect wrote:As the other poster mentioned the news story is sensationalism, there they did dropped on the ball, and at least "had me" with their reporting.
That's nice to know :)

Edit - The point I'm trying to make, change the title to US Netflix or use a logo for your OP or something.
Heatware
[73 - 0 - 0]

× < >