Cell Phones

Netflix will soon support HDR technology on mobile devices, starting with the LG G6

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2017 12:22 am
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA

Netflix will soon support HDR technology on mobile devices, starting with the LG G6

Netflix to soon support HDR technology on phones
http://www.canindia.com/netflix-to-soon ... on-phones/
Barcelona, March 1 (IANS) With the aim to provide great video quality while using less bandwidth, global video streaming service Netflix will soon support HDR technology on mobile devices.

“Starting with the LG G6 phones that support both Dolby Vision and HDR 10 streams, Netflix would be supporting HDR on mobile devices,” Netflix announced at the Mobile World Congress (MWC) here.

Netflix users now don’t have to have an expensive TV to get HDR as Netflix brings the best picture quality to a small screen and making the best picture quality even more accessible.

The video streaming service is constantly working on innovative encoding techniques to provide great video quality while using less bandwidth.

“Netflix will soon roll out new video encodes for mobile devices, providing someone who has an extremely poor internet connection watching on a cell network something that once was considered impossible,” the company said.

With the efficiency of these new encodes, users who are worried about data caps will be able to stream up to 30 hours of Netflix with a 2GB data cap.

“Today, users can watch shows like ‘Santa Clarita Diet’, ‘Chef’s Table’, ‘The OA’ and all of the ‘Marvel’ series in HDR,” the company said.

–IANS

Anyone watch Netflix on their phones going to watch in HDR if available?
5 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
Sure. If it comes to my iPhone 7 Plus (which does have a 10-bit display), why not? This would be on WiFi or with downloaded Netflix shows of course.

However, I'm more interested in HDR support on iPads, since my main mobile Netflix watching is on an iPad. Unfortunately my iPad Air 2 does not have a 10-bit display. Then again it is already in its third year, meaning that in a couple of years I'll be looking to upgrade. Hopefully at that time I will no longer need to get an iPad Pro in order to get a 10-bit display.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2007
3210 posts
807 upvotes
This is pretty cool - but I barely watch Netflix on my phone (always watch on my TV). But either way, doesn't hurt to have that option!
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
Netflix is doubling mobile streaming quality without increasing bandwidth
http://www.androidcentral.com/netflix-t ... usly-again
That encoding method is a relatively new video codec called VP9, an ultra-efficient algorithm controlled and open-sourced by Google, and has been widely used on YouTube. The upside is, according to Netflix, double the video quality for the same amount of bandwidth used, or half the bandwidth for the same video quality.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
3668 posts
567 upvotes
Apple is being somewhat misleading with the whole HDR thing. From the specs it would sound like the iPhone 8 and 8+ have HDR displays when they actually do not. They however support HDR playback. I found this out reading through the Arstechnica review.
I went back to apple.com looking for specs and sure enough they iPhone X specs clearly shows HDR display whereas the the 8 and 8+ just show HDR pictures and playback...

Cheers,