Crave TV has better library for cheaper price
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
2038 posts
407 upvotes
Concord, ON
movieman wrote:
Jul 19th, 2016 12:26 am
Yeah, $9.99 a month is just too much for the ability to stream thousands of movies and TV shows.

Back in the real world, Netflix only has to save me buying one DVD a month, and it's paid for itself.
Crap movies and 20 year old shows mostly with no current shows you mean?

Netflix is great if you like horrible movies staring past prime Bruce Willis and nic cage Netflix specials ...or sharknado
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
4998 posts
1646 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
Is Netflix still the only streaming service with 4K content, or do Crave and Shomi offer it as well?
I'm looking to try out one of the above, but only if they offer at least some 4K movies/TV shows.
So far, all can find is the top tier Netflix plan @$11.99/month, which isn't bad, especially if I give my folks a secondary login.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
2363 posts
171 upvotes
GrandePike wrote:
Jul 19th, 2016 12:43 am
Netflix is great if you like horrible movies staring past prime Bruce Willis and nic cage Netflix specials ...or sharknado
Weird. Maybe you're watching a different Netflix to me? I had to cull my 'To Watch' list recently because I hit the 500 entry limit.
Jul 18, 2016
11 posts
For our family it works out great since we like 90% of netflix programming.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2654 upvotes
Vancouver
Netflix is still worthwhile and still offers a reasonable deal to customers in my opinion, but they've suffered a series of setbacks and made some stupid moves that have pissed off customers and made them question the value of continuing their subscription. It's no surprise that these things are hurting Netflix.

Some negative things that were inevitable, not really the fault of Netflix:

- Their own success and the increase in competition from other streaming services means that it's more difficult and expensive now to acquire streaming rights to movies and TV shows than it was early on. Costs have gone up, and Netflix really had to increase prices to maintain service.
- They have also compromised by reducing the total amount of content they carry, dropping things that got too expensive.
- Big content providers insisted that Netflix had to get more serious about enforcing the antiquated system of regional copyrights, and Netflix was forced to comply, greatly reducing the overall content available in each region, especially outside the U.S.

Positives:
- Netflix is one of the few internet streaming services to offer international service almost everywhere. They have been pioneers in a very difficult business. We may complain, but at least they're available in Canada, unlike Hulu or Amazon.
- They are investing heavily in original content to make up for the difficulty of licencing content these days.
- $9.99.month is typical for a basic subscription to anything these days, so the price isn't out of line.
- Netflix offers flexible alternatives, from the $7.99 el-cheapo plan to the $11.99 family plan
- Netflix doesn't discourage subscription sharing within a family, and you can have up to 4 simultaneous streams on the family plan (albeit they have made some cuts to the regular plan over the years to create new tiers)

But these things are "own damage":

- Netflix should have just bit the bullet and raised prices by a small amount when they had to. Instead they tried to soften the impact by deferring price increases for existing customers by 2 years. But that just made it worse when they hit those customers with a double price increase all at once.
- To make matters worse, their CEO called customers complaining about the price increase stupid because apparently they couldn't understand that it wasn't a real price increase, just the end of their discounted grandfathered price.
- The end of grandfathered pricing means that there's no incentive to maintain an existing Netflix account continuously. In fact if you drop Netflix for a while, you can sign up again later for a free month and binge-watch all the new additions. People are realizing that streaming services work differently than cable TV - you can rotate your subscription around different services to see different content without missing anything, especially since new content trickles in at a slow pace.
- There were a lot of customers using VPNs and DNS unblockers to access international Netflix content, and the move by Netflix to target that practice and end it greatly reduced the value of Netflix for all those people. Yes, that move was forced on Netflix by the content providers, but instead of giving it the minimum token effort, they went at it with excessive enthusiasm to the point of overkill - Netflix now blocks all VPNs being used for privacy, and false-positives a significant number of non-VPNs, preventing those users from accessing Netflix at all. To compound matters, Netflix's idiot CEO Reed stuck his foot in his mouth again by calling those customers a insignificant minority of whiners.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
24383 posts
5239 upvotes
GTHA
Sweet Christmas! So much good stuff coming to Netflix this month. To name a few: Marvel's Luke Cage, The Walking Dead Season 6, Narcos Season 2, The Imitation Game, Top Gun, The Finest Hours, Zootopia, Amanda Knox, Audrie & Daisy, Chef's Table France...alright, you get the idea.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
24383 posts
5239 upvotes
GTHA
This November, we're heading back to Stars Hallow! Here’s a taste of what’s new to Netflix this month: The Crown, Beat Bugs S2, World of Winx, The Ivory Game, Inherent Vice, True Memoirs of an International Assassin, London Has Fallen, Divines, The Jungle Book… and of course, Gilmore Girls: A Year In The Life.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
24383 posts
5239 upvotes
GTHA
Netflix, Inc. Will Launch 1,000 Hours of Original Content in 2017
http://host.madison.com/business/invest ... 5dab2.html

"expect not just more original content, but more high-quality original content."

"About half of the most searched for shows on television around the world this year were Netflix original shows"
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
1739 posts
638 upvotes
Well! I watched the OA, the story sux, the HD picture is ugly. The must have hired a highschooler as cinematographer.
"A Eruchîn, ú-dano i faelas a hyn an uben tanatha le faelas!" -- Aragorn
Hath no loyalty to any ISP, for you shall receive none!
Nov 19, 2009
471 posts
38 upvotes
Anybody having trouble with the download to SD card function.? I updated to the latest version that gives the option to specify the download location, but on my tablet that is running Android 4.4 I still only get the internal memory option. On my phone that is running Lollipop I am able to select the SD card...theoption appears in the dropdown.

Anybody elese face this and find a workaround? Tried rebooting, formatting card, clean install of Netflix app...no dice still...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7175 posts
677 upvotes
Victoria
bogolisk wrote:
Jan 29th, 2017 8:45 pm
Well! I watched the OA, the story sux, the HD picture is ugly. The must have hired a highschooler as cinematographer.
I thought the OA started well, but really floundered by the time it got to the end. I agree about the PQ. Most netflix shows I've watched (Stranger things, House of Cards, the Marvel shows) all look really good. Some of the best PQ of anything on netflix, but the OA wasn't quite there.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
5830 posts
987 upvotes
The last thing that was moderately good on Netflix was Spectral, but I didn't watch it on Netflix ! ...LoL
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
1939 posts
302 upvotes
For $5 a month ... maybe ... but when you have unlimited internet, there's no reason to. Plenty of places to get the content you want.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.

Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, OSP RULES!
YGK, Toray, Sunline RULES!
Shimano RULES!
St. Croix & Halo RULES!

JDM ONLY.