Entertainment

Is netflix worth it?

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 7th, 2017 10:51 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 22, 2010
1270 posts
179 upvotes
BC
To me its not worth it. I have nearly every Movie (old & new) plus all the Series going back to Mary Tyler Moore Show era. Tried it for a month but since I've either seen all or have them in my Libraray its not worth it. But the price is good.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain
Member
Jan 13, 2009
290 posts
186 upvotes
Just try it one month for free, then you'll see if it's worth it. Different things appeal to different people. Also it depends how many outlets of entertainment you have.

Also:
- legal streaming vs not-so legal streaming ;)
- want your kids to use Kodi or Netflix
- can you comfortably afford to spend $10 bucks every month?
Newbie
Oct 6, 2015
36 posts
5 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
I mean you can't really go wrong with 10 bucks per month with unlimited tv shows + movies but It's sad how much less content we have compared to US netflix
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3558 posts
775 upvotes
Charlottetown
insync44 wrote:
Feb 1st, 2017 10:06 pm
To me its not worth it. I have nearly every Movie (old & new) plus all the Series going back to Mary Tyler Moore Show era. Tried it for a month but since I've either seen all or have them in my Libraray its not worth it. But the price is good.
i'm not criticizing you or anything, i totally see your point, but i'm just finishing up my trial tomorrow and think i'll keep it, i've found a lot of good shows and movies made by Netflix, Netflix/$10 month + Kodi= bye bye cable :)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 16, 2010
1684 posts
710 upvotes
Hamilton
People don't have Netflix in 2017?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 14, 2008
7569 posts
1180 upvotes
Ontario
I don't think there are any surprises here. People with large internal volumes because they have downloaded a ton through torrent, or have numerous "free" sources of movies online are more likely to NOT see value in Netflix. However, to most everyone else, even if you only watch it sporadically, it's worth it/pays for itself/etc - especially considering the increase (both now and in the future) of original content.

Either way, the cost is pretty marginal. Make it even more marginal by sharing an account with your parents, for instance.

Making things even easier is no commitment. So, watch for a couple months. Disable. Come back later and catch up, disable again, etc.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
1935 posts
705 upvotes
Dpack22 wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2017 3:41 pm
People don't have Netflix in 2017?
No, because it's not worth it. Once they have more HDR contents, then it would be. As of now, their HD picture is crappy.
"A Eruchîn, ú-dano i faelas a hyn an uben tanatha le faelas!" -- Aragorn
Hath no loyalty to any ISP, for you shall receive none!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 18, 2005
16864 posts
1108 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I was willing to pay Netflix's monthly fee just for their original content. It's good and worth the money imo.

Then we had a kid. I can't imagine not having Netflix now. it's just much easier to turn on Netflix and go to the kids section and pick a movie or show. works way better than Kodi and its addons or my file server.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3558 posts
775 upvotes
Charlottetown
bogolisk wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2017 5:40 pm
No, because it's not worth it. Once they have more HDR contents, then it would be. As of now, their HD picture is crappy.
but how much is your cable bill for HDR? this is $10.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
1935 posts
705 upvotes
townie22 wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2017 6:08 pm
but how much is your cable bill for HDR? this is $10.
Never had cable in my life.
"A Eruchîn, ú-dano i faelas a hyn an uben tanatha le faelas!" -- Aragorn
Hath no loyalty to any ISP, for you shall receive none!
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2010
3702 posts
140 upvotes
Barrie
To summarize all the options.

Netflix is the best legal option for cheap entertainment

Kodi/Torrents/internet are the cheapest option

Blueray is the best quality but also takes the most effort and is the most expensive
We don't know, so it's possible. And it's possible, so it's probably probable.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
5741 posts
1044 upvotes
Maple
Yes, for me. I cut cable, got OTA for news then Netflix for movies even lots of them were watched with my bluray player.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3558 posts
775 upvotes
Charlottetown
bogolisk wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2017 7:14 pm
Never had cable in my life.
you're lucky, can only get 3 OTA channels here so not much choice :(
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 7, 2012
27972 posts
6734 upvotes
GTHA
Netflix Infomercial Winking Face

There can NEVER be enough TV -- because when creating content for more than 93 million unique tastes of entertainment lovers around the world, there are no two Netflix users that are alike -- so Netflix is here to deliver something for everyone to enjoy.

In 2017, Netflix will deliver the biggest and most diverse line-up in Netflix history -- with more than 1,000 hours of new series, films, stand-up specials, documentaries and more for members around the world to choose from and enjoy!


Top