• Nov 7th, 2017 10:51 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24669 posts
8739 upvotes
Toronto
onlineharvest wrote: That's the thing, you're referring to relative niche markets. What percentage of Netflix subs have OTA? And what percentage blissfully torrent and/or collect libraries of content on NAS? It's the minority.

Even though it's only roughly $10, which is minor in the grand scheme of things, if you don't use it, no sense in paying for it! :)
The process couldn't be any easier to just re-sign up again.

Couple of clicks actually.
so true and I totally agree - my use case is bit unique in that I have the OTA antenna for local news, weather, Family Feud etc, not home much at all except on weekends since wife and I work late and get home late and I DL new releases via Torrents...

General public wouldn't be like me and Netflix would fit their viewing needs - plus no commercials!!

And like you said, $10 a month is peanuts - skip the morning coffee for 5 business days and you are set for the Netflix fee for the month....totally get it even if Netflix raises rates...
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
4442 posts
248 upvotes
I got pissed when Netflix increased their price from $8 to $10 earlier not because of the price increase but because they increased the price and then split the plans so you could no longer get SuperHD on the regular plan. If they were increasing the price from $8 to $10 while keeping the same quality then I would've been fine but the 720p-ish quality on that regular plan now is worse than from downloaded movies so that got me to cancel.

I planned to subscribe again here and there, get through the movies I wanted to see and cancel and repeat but looking at their catalogue online and it's also gotten worse since a couple years ago unless you're really into the original shows.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
Nettles wrote: I got pissed when Netflix increased their price from $8 to $10 earlier not because of the price increase but because they increased the price and then split the plans so you could no longer get SuperHD on the regular plan. If they were increasing the price from $8 to $10 while keeping the same quality then I would've been fine but the 720p-ish quality on that regular plan now is worse than from downloaded movies so that got me to cancel.

I planned to subscribe again here and there, get through the movies I wanted to see and cancel and repeat but looking at their catalogue online and it's also gotten worse since a couple years ago unless you're really into the original shows.
I thought the $10 plan included SuperHD? The only reason you need the one above is for 4k or more streams?

IE when they bumped from 8 to 10 I thought it was the same quality, and then they introduced a lower price ($8) SD plan.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Hmm no offence to all.
The best is to share US Netflix with your buddy in the US which allows 2 ip addresses to log on.
It was ok with VPN until ~ 2 years ago.
There are way by using app in one of the many boxes around
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
danieltoronto wrote: Hmm no offence to all.
The best is to share US Netflix with your buddy in the US which allows 2 ip addresses to log on.
There are way by using app in one of the many boxes around

That depends on who you are. My kid watches Hotel Transylvania daily and they don't have that on Netflix in the U.S. Only Hotel Transylvania 2
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
Yup, Netflix is still priceless in our house. The amount of kids' programming on there is *immense*, and there's always new stuff that my kids are discovering. I still watch it at least 2-3 hours a week, which is certainly more than I watch the cable that I'm currently paying for (but which my wife watches - she's all about the specialty channels that are harder to find for downloading).
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1461 upvotes
Richmond
danieltoronto wrote: The best is to share US Netflix with your buddy in the US which allows 2 ip addresses to log on.
You don't need a VPN to share a login, and Netflix has said they don't mind you sharing a login as long as you keep it within the family, more or less. They do say that your watching should be primarily in the same country where the account is registered, but they don't enforce it. I shared a login with a family member in Brazil for a while, paid for in Brazil where it was cheaper at the time (not any more), and it worked fine in Canada. You can change the interface language individually per user.

You won't get U.S. Netflix if you're connecting in Canada, unless you can still get a VPN to work.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Faith24 wrote: You won't get U.S. Netflix if you're connecting in Canada, unless you can still get a VPN to work.
Even VPN won't work. That is what I said above. I cancelled that too.
AFAIK, no VPN works
Daniel

Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
danieltoronto wrote: Even VPN won't work. That is what I said above. I cancelled that too.
AFAIK, no VPN works
There is one major one that was working a few days ago. I'm sure it's nuked by now. That' the only way I found out that Netflix USA didn't have Hotel Transylvania in its catalogue.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
3877 posts
1973 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Netflix shows are just superb. Worth the cost of admission alone.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
Didn't want to start yet another Netflix thread so I'll add this here... Netflix is buying Millarworld, Mark Millar's publishing house. This should give them more fodder for original content, and I for one am looking forward to it... Marvel and DC are cool, and have that nostalgia factor going for them, but Millar's stuff is modern and edgy, some of it parodies or subverts old comic book tropes...

... think stories like Wanted, Kickass, Kingsman... (although those properties already belong to other studios)

https://media.netflix.com/en/press-rele ... larworld-1
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
1290 posts
476 upvotes
Faith24 wrote: You won't get U.S. Netflix if you're connecting in Canada, unless you can still get a VPN to work.
My ISP is in the US, I get all the US stuff including Netflix in Canada. What I don't get is CBC streaming as it thinks I'm in Kansas.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
onlineharvest wrote: Yeah, Netflix should have an option to easily let you cancel and sign up again whenever you want, using a simple form and process that takes a couple minutes to perform.
From a business perspective, that is difficult to manage when people cancel during the summer months. Do they lay off people during the low seasons?
From the consumers' perspective, we treat it as an annual thing and assess if it is good deal
Daniel

Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8312 posts
1901 upvotes
Ontario
danieltoronto wrote: From a business perspective, that is difficult to manage when people cancel during the summer months. Do they lay off people during the low seasons?
From the consumers' perspective, we treat it as an annual thing and assess if it is good deal
I was being sarcastic :) but that's obviously a strength of its model and one of the main reasons they attract subscribers. And just as with other subscription based services, I'm sure there are segments that are not diligent to manage it and just keep getting billed even if they don't use it, or find it nominal enough to merely forget about it, etc

Content is king and for most users, they are still a valuable addition to their household viewing habits. It's funny to see the hold they have, when Disney said they're pulling their content, the majority of online comments I saw was "well guess I'll be keeping Netflix but pirating Disney films". And they actually have original series worth watching, or that garner enough attention to pique the interest of people on the fence, or willing to sub for a few months to catch up, etc.

Its become Netflix and... And when you speak with many people paying 50-100 per month for traditional cable, it's hard to argue against the value of its service.

I don't follow the management of the company too closely, but isn't subs continuously up, so I'm not sure they're feeling any pain as of yet. The test will arise with the addition of all these pop-up sub services, but if I were a betting man, I'd say they're more likely to fail and subsequently return to a Netflix to distribute their content again.
Temp. Banned
Dec 2, 2007
902 posts
110 upvotes
Toronto
no. I had a trial netflix account for a month and Netflix only showed old rerun movies. no new shows.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
M1GOmigs wrote: Didn't want to start yet another Netflix thread so I'll add this here... Netflix is buying Millarworld, Mark Millar's publishing house. This should give them more fodder for original content, and I for one am looking forward to it... Marvel and DC are cool, and have that nostalgia factor going for them, but Millar's stuff is modern and edgy, some of it parodies or subverts old comic book tropes...

... think stories like Wanted, Kickass, Kingsman... (although those properties already belong to other studios)

https://media.netflix.com/en/press-rele ... larworld-1
Netflix Announces First Comic Book Title, Mark Millar's 'The Magic Order'
netflix-announces-first-comic-book-titl ... #p28432778

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)