Computers & Electronics

NETGEAR N300 WiFi Range Extender - Essentials Edition (EX2700)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2017 8:35 am
[OP]
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
154 upvotes

NETGEAR N300 WiFi Range Extender - Essentials Edition (EX2700)

Anybody used this device before? It's for my uncle as his house is pretty big and his basement is getting little to no wireless signal. Just recently they had some tenants move in the basement, and they are unable to get any internet properly. Hence, I looked online and most people are giving this device a great review, and it does N300 (no AC Mode). They just need internet to work properly, so would this device do the trick? Or should my uncle get a better router? Another option was to get internet downstairs. Any suggestions?
7 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25895 posts
2887 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Range extenders are terrible in general. They reduce the speed

I would get a proper access point, but short of that, I suggest you use Powerline Ethernet. This way your tenants have their own Ethernet port and they can hookup their own router.

It will be double NAT, which is bad, but in this case it doesn’t really matter.
[OP]
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
154 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 11:20 am
Range extenders are terrible in general. They reduce the speed

I would get a proper access point, but short of that, I suggest you use Powerline Ethernet. This way your tenants have their own Ethernet port and they can hookup their own router.

It will be double NAT, which is bad, but in this case it doesn’t really matter.
Thanks for the advice, but just to point out I've tried POE and the problem is that the basement had a new circuit board installed. So the POE would not connect from upstairs to downstairs. I have tried a powerful router but still no avail. I just got the range extender yesterday in mail from Amazon, and am going to try it. Plus they wanted to get Vonage, so this extender has a Ethernet port in it which should connect to it as well.

Will update on the status later on today or tomorrow.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25895 posts
2887 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
kabyLake wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 8:09 am
Thanks for the advice, but just to point out I've tried POE and the problem is that the basement had a new circuit board installed. So the POE would not connect from upstairs to downstairs. I have tried a powerful router but still no avail. I just got the range extender yesterday in mail from Amazon, and am going to try it. Plus they wanted to get Vonage, so this extender has a Ethernet port in it which should connect to it as well.

Will update on the status later on today or tomorrow.
Good luck, I doubt you will be able to run Vonage from the extender.

Any reason why you can’t pull an Ethernet cable through the furnace room?
[OP]
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
154 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 10:25 am
Good luck, I doubt you will be able to run Vonage from the extender.

Any reason why you can’t pull an Ethernet cable through the furnace room?
It's very complicated, and my uncle just finished his basement (obviously without running CAT cables). I might try to run a wireless router through the Ethernet port of the repeater and then to the Vonage adapter. Let's see!
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25895 posts
2887 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
kabyLake wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 10:30 am
It's very complicated, and my uncle just finished his basement (obviously without running CAT cables). I might try to run a wireless router through the Ethernet port of the repeater and then to the Vonage adapter. Let's see!
The problem is not the Ethernet. It is the extender connecting to your main WiFi. Your WiFi speed will be cut in half from the main router to the extender.