None
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
7041 posts
652 upvotes
BC Interior

Network cable issues

Lengthy issue here but fairly unusual.

I have some xboxes, ps3s and pcs in a basement wired via cat 5e in wall (I didn't do the install, previous owner did) to an upstairs jack then to router/AP. All was well for a year, used to get gigabit connectivity to downstairs. Then one day my main router stops working (only the wired connections), wifi works fine. I decide without much diagnosis to replace it with an Asus RT-AC66U router. All is well, then few weeks later, that router starts cutting out (no internet connectivity). After some major trial and error I find the issue, the network cable from the basement is causing the outage, I unplug it and router is fine.

So I'm thinking it's the giga switch in the basement. Replace that with an asus switch. Negotiated speed drops to 100mbits but at least I have connectivity. Then after a few weeks, the router starts doing its death dance again.

Now I'm thinking it's clearly some sort of intermittent signal/cable issue that's knocking out the router. Problem is how can I diagnose this without wall disassembly preferably. I've recrimped/resocketed both ends of this in wall cable without much success.
3 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2008
1784 posts
1108 upvotes
Ugh. That's nasty.

You could temporarily connect with a new cable by running it outside of the wall, just to see whether the problem still exists. If it goes away, then you've confirmed it's the in-wall cable. In terms of doing something to remedy it, you are pretty much stuck re-running the cable if you are looking at keeping the wired connection... or you could use wireless repeaters.

Since it's intermittent, it sounds like the cable is pinched or snagged somewhere or something like that ... or maybe wrapped around a power cable.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don't 💡
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
7041 posts
652 upvotes
BC Interior
junkmail2002 wrote: Ugh. That's nasty.

You could temporarily connect with a new cable by running it outside of the wall, just to see whether the problem still exists. If it goes away, then you've confirmed it's the in-wall cable. In terms of doing something to remedy it, you are pretty much stuck re-running the cable if you are looking at keeping the wired connection... or you could use wireless repeaters.

Since it's intermittent, it sounds like the cable is pinched or snagged somewhere or something like that ... or maybe wrapped around a power cable.
That would be an excellent way of confirming this if I had a 50ft cat 5e cable :) I guess (aside from venting) I'm checking if there are any improvised cable diagnostic kits I can make up out of potatoes and jam in lieu of expensive equipment to figure this out.

I know by process of elimination it's 90% cable issue at this stage so probably just in denial.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2008
1784 posts
1108 upvotes
ichpen wrote: That would be an excellent way of confirming this if I had a 50ft cat 5e cable :) I guess (aside from venting) I'm checking if there are any improvised cable diagnostic kits I can make up out of potatoes and jam in lieu of expensive equipment to figure this out.
Not that I am aware of. Most kits will just test the connection, but won't tell you where the cable is pooched. Troubleshooting behind-the-wall cables is pain in the @$$... but just to make sure it's the cable, it may be worth investing in a 50ft cable.

It could still be that one of the devices/computers/etc has a faulty NIC and is causing the issues. Stupid gremlins. Who invited them.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don't 💡