• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2018 8:48 pm
[OP]
Aug 21, 2010
30 posts
Brampton

Networking vs security

Hey Folks,
So I'm posting this in hopes to get a more clear path for my mid life new career change and hopefully also build some great contacts that reside in this hidden realm of redflagdeals.

To keep this thread simple, I need help deciding which path is ideal and what to attempt.

Options:
HelpDesk (of some sort)
Network Admin
CyberSecurity (SOC Tier 1)

With these options (from what I know), Im going into a a college program for networking and support. I feel it teaches me a tone about networking and the curriculum fits perfectly with me finishing the education part-time while working fulltime along side giving me time to also learn at my own pace cyber security, etc.

Both career paths seem great but i dont know anyone in these fields to get real feedback from that arent from USA. So id like opinions from those in these fields or those who did experience them and just give advice on how hard each field is to get into, which has a good stable future and how hard is it to move up.

Hopefully I can build some networks also as I am a die hard computer nerd since Dos/win95 days but never really wanted to pursue this field for some reason until now.

Thanks!
6 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1495 posts
1054 upvotes
Richmond
Jag_Ducati wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 7:51 pm
Options:
HelpDesk (of some sort)
Network Admin
CyberSecurity (SOC Tier 1)
Helpdesk tends to be highly situation and case to case. In one company, it can be earning decent wages and get really in-depth including basic administration, networking, and even scripting. While another company you might simply be following flow charts with robotic dialog options and highly repetitive workflow like resetting passive and teaching people how to use a browser. Earning min wage barely.

Network Admin is something that ideally requires experience. While you can certainly study for it. Large majority of the company out there prefer a candidate that has real experience, and the problem with this type of job is that it is difficult to get an intern opportunity, as it is highly competitive for one, and the nature of the job itself makes it difficult to start someone from scratch.

CyberSecurity is still a relatively new field and generally considered difficult to learn, as it is both new and vast and has many different focuses. A small company verse a large company will have a completely different approach and needs. Same with the type of business. A software company will want a code review; an industrial company would want penetration testing and networking experience. While a banking company would want security workflow and audit focus. They all fall under the cybersecurity area but require a completely different skill set and it is highly dependent on the specific company's need.

Overall I think you will need to give us more specific into what you actually want to do first. Are you okay with coding? web development? Database? When you say you can build a network. What kind of network are you talking about? Domain administration? Group policy? or mostly on the hardware side?
[OP]
Aug 21, 2010
30 posts
Brampton
Thanks for the reply.
For hardware I would say I can build the client rigs up to spec but servers I would need my college program to teach me that somewhat.
As for admin work, I can build a basic domain setting with user settings, etc. But that I'm hoping schooling and alot of hands on will teach me the large scale handling of this. As for coding, not really interested but I am about to practice and see if I can manage to like it or not.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1495 posts
1054 upvotes
Richmond
Jag_Ducati wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 3:39 am
Thanks for the reply.
For hardware I would say I can build the client rigs up to spec but servers I would need my college program to teach me that somewhat.
As for admin work, I can build a basic domain setting with user settings, etc. But that I'm hoping schooling and alot of hands on will teach me the large scale handling of this. As for coding, not really interested but I am about to practice and see if I can manage to like it or not.
Sounds to me you will have to get started to figure out what you want to do at all. Cybersecurity has a lot more programming aspect to it. So probably more toward network if coding isn't for you.
[OP]
Aug 21, 2010
30 posts
Brampton
ID01 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 5:59 pm
Sounds to me you will have to get started to figure out what you want to do at all. Cybersecurity has a lot more programming aspect to it. So probably more toward network if coding isn't for you.
Does it really? :'(
I guess Networking is where I shall try. Thank you!
As a good will to my self, I'm going to takeup coding and practice hard on that to also see if I can get good at it.
[OP]
Aug 21, 2010
30 posts
Brampton
Sorry to bring this thread back alive from the dead.
But I have a question for those who may know.

So I want to be able to get into the USA IT market as its much larger than canada. My question is for those who know, would one be able to get into USA with just a canadian 2 year diploma? Or is a 4 year degree required. This would be for a job towards network admin type of work I want to go to school for and hope to land.
Sep 16, 2011
187 posts
93 upvotes
LONDON
Jag_Ducati wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2018 11:57 pm
Sorry to bring this thread back alive from the dead.
But I have a question for those who may know.

So I want to be able to get into the USA IT market as its much larger than canada. My question is for those who know, would one be able to get into USA with just a canadian 2 year diploma? Or is a 4 year degree required. This would be for a job towards network admin type of work I want to go to school for and hope to land.
I don't know about the US market but I would assume it is similar to the Canadian one, the truth is nobody cares about your degree for IT jobs, I never went to an interview and they cared about what I studied. All they care about is the experience so you have to start somewhere and move internally to get where you want, knowing the right people will get you where you want.

My advice to whoever is starting is to forget about networking and focus on the cloud ( AWS,AZURE) 5-10 years from now nobody will be using the command line to configure routers and switches, everything will be either cloud or private cloud (on premise) , Data scientists and automation are promising fields + security.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)