Parenting

neutrogena T-gel shampoo for 1 month old?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2010 9:45 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 24, 2006
24 posts
Markham

neutrogena T-gel shampoo for 1 month old?

Hi,

My one month old son has cradle cap, and my pediatrician recommends neutrogena T-gel shampoo twice a week.
I went to SDM and read the label for neutrogena T-gel and it clearly says it's not recommended for children under two. So I am really confused. Anyone has any advice?

Thanks in advance.
5 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
11911 posts
210 upvotes
I wouldn't use it....but then again, I haven't seen how bad it is. Many many babies get cradle cap - it's not such a life threatening issue that I would go against product instructions.

If you want to deal with it, I recommend the oil+comb in the bath technique. 2 of my 3 kids had small areas of cradle cap, and that worked like a charm.
Jul 26, 2010
17 posts
My son had the worst case of cradle cap. I tried baby oil, olive oil, did not work. Sometimes when I nurse him, I can't help but kept picking them with my finger nail. The whole top of his head was covered with cradle cap. It started when he was about 2 months old and lasted till about 10 months old. At 3 months after I treated him with olive oil, he became balded on top of his head with just a few strands left. The hair did not grow back until about 1 year old. I would not use this kind of shampoo on my son, the cradle cap did not bother him at all, it bothers the parents more. I thought DS would have it forever but it got better. Now at 2 years old he's free from it.
Dec 8, 2010
3 posts
toronto
My sons had it too. It bugged me more than them. I did use olive oil and massage it in then a nice warm bath and I would use an old soft toothbrush to comb and VERY gently go over the head. A few treatments like this and it was pretty much gone.
× < >