• Apr 29th, 2014 9:46 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2001
1305 posts
42 upvotes

Never get your skates sharpened at Canadian Tire

This is a warning to all hockey moms or dads to save your time and look elsewhere to save yourself the trouble when it come to sharpening your skates.

My kid has been playing hockey for about a year now. I usually go to Sportschek to get the skates sharpened but they did a poor job (burned the blade, uneven grind) so I decided to take it to Canadian Tire. I was in a hurry so I didn't check the blades but when my kid started to play hockey, he could not stop or turn and fell every 5 seconds. Upon inspection, the blades were completely dull. Unbelievable!...never again.

I have since asked coaches and professional figure skaters and they all have their favourite places.
All is not golde that outward shewith bright...lydgate
12 replies
Oct 31, 2008
15 posts
Ottawa
Ottawa Canadian tire on Merivale rd was fine for me. I checked them ( skates ) out before I left. Sometimes the person grinding them will not make them super sharp if it's for a child because they might grab too hard on the ice. I would ask for them to be made sharp as possible and then blunt them down with a block of wood if need be. Go back and have them redone for free. Bring in receipt .
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
2612 posts
428 upvotes
i didn't even know canadian tire does skate sharpening...

i don't think i've used sportchek... but i use hockey expert (which really is sportchek subsidy) and national sports. i go to hockey expert now cause it's $4 compare to $6 at national. And i get the new FBV cutting...

maybe you were just unlucky that the guy did a poor job. i'd definitely go back and get it fixed.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
4464 posts
1008 upvotes
Nice thread title.

An isolated incident at one CT condemns the entire chain. :facepalm:
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
4345 posts
230 upvotes
I wouldn't recommend it either and I doubt it's an isolated incident because Cdn tire doesn't specialize in hockey. They hire teens basically to do it and it's not like their concern is doing it to the best of their abilities and holding the teen employees accountable to that. Same reason why you shouldn't take your car for anything major to the Walmart auto-shop, they hire a lot of kids just out of high school.

My recommendation is going to Pro Hockey Life or if you wanna save $, go to a local hockey type store which probably does them and will do a good job. Pro Hockey Life has teen employees too but I mean they do it pretty often and it's a store that specializes in hockey so a better place to go for it.

I've also found National Sports employees to be a lot smarter when it comes to hockey stuff cos that chain is focused a lot more on hockey (although it's part of the same Forzani group as Sportchek).
It takes an ocean not to break
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3900 posts
995 upvotes
Toronto
Nettles wrote:
Jan 28th, 2012 12:23 am
I wouldn't recommend it either and I doubt it's an isolated incident because Cdn tire doesn't specialize in hockey. They hire teens basically to do it and it's not like their concern is doing it to the best of their abilities and holding the teen employees accountable to that.

+1
anyone who knows anything about hockey would know to never get your skates sharpened by a 16 year old high school student who works at canadian tire
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2006
2056 posts
362 upvotes
Toronto
agreed with OP.

Skates were shapper before going to CT for sharpening lol.

in the employees defence though, the machine is automatic... they put the skates in and pull it out when the timer goes off .
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2011
2066 posts
360 upvotes
Winnipeg
I go to pro connexion in Wpg, great service
---
:twisted:
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2008
4532 posts
722 upvotes
Whitby
Watched the kid at Canadian Tire try to figure out how to turn the machine on....the mom still let him sharpen 2 pairs of new skates she was purchasing. That was after I informed her the new skates needed sharpening out of the box-and the kid went to confirm that as "they feel sharp to him"

Another time I saw the skate sharpening machine jumping around in the aisle like an old washing machine with an unbalanced load.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
1842 posts
85 upvotes
Conquistador wrote:
Jan 28th, 2012 12:15 am
Nice thread title.

An isolated incident at one CT condemns the entire chain. :facepalm:
+1. CDN tire has a few hundred stores across the country. My skates were sharpened just fine.
Aug 18, 2007
20 posts
7 upvotes
Ancaster
Old thread, but I completely agree. I have two boys in hockey and I used to use CT (Hamilton, Upper James) because it was handy. The last time I took my 7 yr olds skates there I had to help change the stone for them. The lady manager and the employee couldn't loosen it. After they finished I took my boy to hockey and watched him fall every second stride all the way around the rink. The coach called him off the ice and called me over, one of his skates had no inside edge.

The worst part is when I went right back to CT the manager questions me as "how do you know they're not sharpened correctly".
Further, that "they cant be wrong, the machine does it automatically".... ok, I'm outta here

Never again... I may buy skates there, but then bring them elsewhere to sharpen.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
12901 posts
1106 upvotes
Canadian Tire is too big to care.
Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
× < >