• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2017 9:30 pm
Tags:
May 16, 2015
72 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto

never mounted and never use tires

got winter tires that never mounted and never use but manufactured 2008 can it be still use it??
18 replies
Aug 15, 2014
561 posts
193 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I don't see any issues as long as there's no cracking. You could also check to see the manufacture warranty . For example my Michelin xi3 I bought in 2012 have 60k km warranty.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9925 posts
7089 upvotes
Mississauga
I'd be wary. That's potentially 10 year old rubber you're dealing with.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5853 posts
1695 upvotes
Ramngu wrote: I don't see any issues as long as there's no cracking. You could also check to see the manufacture warranty . For example my Michelin xi3 I bought in 2012 have 60k km warranty.
this is terrible advise

rubber gets hard over time

tires which are 10+ years old are done.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38389 posts
12010 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
milolai wrote: this is terrible advise

rubber gets hard over time

tires which are 10+ years old are done.
This is good advice. Don't cheap out on tires. Is it worth risking your safety to save a few hundred dollars?

Rubber breaks down over time especially in dry heated buildings.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41797 posts
30054 upvotes
Center of Universe
Bring them to a tire shop for recycling and see if you can get some sort of credit for the purchase of a new set.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38389 posts
12010 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
vkizzle wrote: Bring them to a tire shop for recycling and see if you can get some sort of credit for the purchase of a new set.
Slash the side wall to make sure they're not going to be resold.
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
3019 upvotes
keenland
ya, ya everyones a professional...

depends where they were stored, how they look etc. post some pics..maybe that will help...but i wouldn't say they are done without seeing them.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41797 posts
30054 upvotes
Center of Universe
cardguy wrote: ya, ya everyones a professional...

depends where they were stored, how they look etc. post some pics..maybe that will help...but i wouldn't say they are done without seeing them.
Dry rot...it's inevitable, regardless if they were "properly" stored.
Banned
Jul 24, 2009
834 posts
577 upvotes
kitchener
vkizzle wrote: Bring them to a tire shop for recycling and see if you can get some sort of credit for the purchase of a new set.
Do not bring them to the tire shop.
They will turn around and sell them as brand new, knowing that most people don't check the expiry date on the sidewal, assuming they even know there is one.
If you are going to do that, grab a sawzal and cut up the sidewalls first...this way they won't be laughing all the way to the bank about a guy who brought them his "brand new" tires for free.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4664 upvotes
Montreal

This, ^^

If they were properly stored indoors there should be no problem. I have a friend with an 86 Grand National and he's still rolling with the original 31 year old Eagle GT's about 50,000km on them. He also knows someone with a 94 Corvette still running the original Goodyear GS-C's.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5834 posts
1219 upvotes
aGincourt
ottofly wrote: This, ^^

If they were properly stored indoors there should be no problem. I have a friend with an 86 Grand National and he's still rolling with the original 31 year old Eagle GT's about 50,000km on them. He also knows someone with a 94 Corvette still running the original Goodyear GS-C's.
???

Those cars are kept as garage queens and get taken out once a month during the summer when there isn't a cloud in the sky, for a few minutes around the block, never going above 60kmh, then back into a garage for another 6 months. Can't compare those tires to a daily driver driven on the highway in all kinds of weather :facepalm:
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4664 upvotes
Montreal
Swswswish wrote: ???

Those cars are kept as garage queens and get taken out once a month during the summer when there isn't a cloud in the sky, for a few minutes around the block, never going above 60kmh, then back into a garage for another 6 months. Can't compare those tires to a daily driver driven on the highway in all kinds of weather :facepalm:
What does it matter? The rubber is still 20 and 30 years old. OP asked if he can mount new unused tires that were manufactured 9 years ago and the experts are telling him 'no'. A daily driven tire doesn't last 20 years. Let's assume OP's tires were kept in an enclosed facility just like the tires on a typical classic car. My post was to illustrate that people do indeed use decades old tires and I'm sure they would have no issues doing 4,000 or 20,000km/year. [..]
Last edited by MrDisco on Sep 17th, 2017 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Rude
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2012
3049 posts
1468 upvotes
MARKHAM

Not true, 10 year old rubber regardless how it stored will not be gripping at all in winter. Unless it's stored in a vacuum but I can assure you they would store them at any open area inside a house or something and the rubber will sure as hell be hard as hell 9 years later.

That's why you never buy used winter tires let alone 9 years old....
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
3019 upvotes
keenland
JasonCao wrote: Not true, 10 year old rubber regardless how it stored will not be gripping at all in winter. Unless it's stored in a vacuum but I can assure you they would store them at any open area inside a house or something and the rubber will sure as hell be hard as hell 9 years later.

That's why you never buy used winter tires let alone 9 years old....
not true what??????

my first car was 20 years old with 20 year old rubber....drove it for a whole year...

don't preach BS that someone told you or you read somewhere (see google)....seems like the population in Markham CAN read something somewhere and take it as god.
I am tired of reading BS like this...any REAL WORLD experience???

rubber stored in a heated basement ??...get the eff outta hear!!

I don't want to read what you read...REAL WORLD...I have this ..as do a few others on this site...just like people say cheap tires will kill you...or cheap brake parts will kill you...guys drive 10k a year and been driving 4 years lifetime and you going to offer a lifetime of experience lol...
..thats not a lifetime lol
too many wanna be pro's in here..get REAL world experience NOT google search experience then comment!!! otherwise don't offer wisdom when you haven't lived and don't have any...because you all will be called out!

AND i HAVE NEWS FOR YOU MISTER WINTER DRIVER....ITS THE DRIVER ..NOT THE TIRE IN THE WINTER...
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2012
3049 posts
1468 upvotes
MARKHAM
cardguy wrote: not true what??????

my first car was 20 years old with 20 year old rubber....drove it for a whole year...

don't preach BS that someone told you or you read somewhere (see google)....seems like the population in Markham CAN read something somewhere and take it as god.
I am tired of reading BS like this...any REAL WORLD experience???

rubber stored in a heated basement ??...get the eff outta hear!!

I don't want to read what you read...REAL WORLD...I have this ..as do a few others on this site...just like people say cheap tires will kill you...or cheap brake parts will kill you...guys drive 10k a year and been driving 4 years lifetime and you going to offer a lifetime of experience lol...
..thats not a lifetime lol
too many wanna be pro's in here..get REAL world experience NOT google search experience then comment!!! otherwise don't offer wisdom when you haven't lived and don't have any...because you all will be called out!

AND i HAVE NEWS FOR YOU MISTER WINTER DRIVER....ITS THE DRIVER ..NOT THE TIRE IN THE WINTER...
Lol did i just read you said you drove 20 years of winter on the same tires? ROFL if I see you I had report you to the police for endangering everyone else on the street.

Mr 20 years, I have had a Michelle winter tires for just 5 years and the rubber has harder to the point that it just start not gripping at all on snowy condition. Fool 20 year my ass. Now before you said something. I'm talking about winter tires for winter condition driving. I could careless if it's bold tires and you never get any winter.
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
3019 upvotes
keenland
JasonCao wrote: Lol did i just read you said you drove 20 years of winter on the same tires? ROFL if I see you I had report you to the police for endangering everyone else on the street.

Mr 20 years, I have had a Michelle winter tires for just 5 years and the rubber has harder to the point that it just start not gripping at all on snowy condition. Fool 20 year my ass. Now before you said something. I'm talking about winter tires for winter condition driving. I could careless if it's bold tires and you never get any winter.

learn to read and comprehend first...then challenge me on what was said...your first chore should be to learn and understand the written and spoken word...then you can attempt to school on winter rubber...then if you get THAT far..you can attempt to school on winter driving...otherwise...just go google, put your mask , gloves and visor (not to mention blinders) on , and continue to terrorize the roads of Markham...and dont drive with your hi beams on!

Ya Markham eh! like driving around a bunch of pilons
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2013
1862 posts
882 upvotes
Markham
BRAND NEW tires from 2008? Uh no I wouldn't trust it!
RTX 4090 FE & 5800X3D
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4664 upvotes
Montreal
JasonCao wrote: Lol did i just read you said you drove 20 years of winter on the same tires? ROFL if I see you I had report you to the police for endangering everyone else on the street.

It was not gripping because they are finished, not because they're 'harder'. In fact, your Michelins were done after the 2nd season when you wore off the initial layer of tread. Today's winter tires are near finished after 2 seasons. The tire manufacturers have inexperienced noobs (with no real word experience) convinced that Blizzaks, X-Ice, G02 all these tires with silica, microcell, walnut even cotton particles give superior grip, which they do for 1-2 seasons max. They have everyone conditioned to replace winter tires for $1000/set every 3 years lol.

Thirty plus years ago we rode on bias-ply tires, mostly all season as we didn't have $1000 to blow on multiple sets mounted on rims replacing every 3 years in the 80's. Cars came with one set of tires on it, that's what you used 12 months/year. You would even rarely see cars with 4 exact tires and many tires had no brand name at all nor was anyone aware of a 'best before date' lol. I'd like to see any of these RFD Google warriors (with ZERO life experiences) drive my rear drive 77 Nova or a 73 Newport with bias ply all seasons on a winter day. Probably would be washing out the urine off the front bench seats after you end up in a smash. So please continue to blow $1000 every 3 years on winter tires, make sure you buy them from Costco or Canadian Tire as I own shares in both and need inexperienced noobs to contribute to my retirement.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)