• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2012 2:30 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2003
2555 posts
156 upvotes
ad19 wrote: The 'too late' comments are mute and do not reflect a critical appraisal of the BB10. The date of release does, in no way, affect how the user experience will be.
Just remember what happened to Palm. Very few companies can make a comeback in a market like this. If you sit idle, your share drops and you become irrelevant.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
3283 posts
567 upvotes
mlerner wrote: Just remember what happened to Palm. Very few companies can make a comeback in a market like this. If you sit idle, your share drops and you become irrelevant.
Palm ran out of money before they had a product to launch. When they finally had a product, they had no money to put behind it. That doesn't look like it will be the case for RIM.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2007
6929 posts
3559 upvotes
Caledon
lol @ too late ... ppl wont even know the work / personal balance in smartphones back then .. below is how the ground breaking tech works on BB10 ..

[QUOTE]Enter BlackBerry Balance

The BlackBerry Balance (see video in link) feature on the new BB10 has been reported on by several analysts and tech sites as a godsend from an IT security perspective as a solution to the BYOD trend.

I would agree that any vorporate IT security would love these features on a phone:

The ability to have (2) two separate profiles on a phone. One for work and one for personal.
A separate app world for the work profile for IT managers to force down apps or have "pre-approved" apps available for down load.
The ability for both profiles to be fully secured and encrypted.
The ability to remotely wipe the Work profile without touching the personal side when an employee leaves the company.
The built in security features which prevent an employee from copying work data into a personal file/email.
The built in security features that prevent 3rd party apps downloaded on the personal profile from integrating with the work profile
So,all fine and dandy if you are an IT/corporate manager looking for security in the BYOD rush -- but those aren't the only ones with a say in which phones get purchased. Some companies have a list of "approved" devices for BYOD to at least minimize the management headaches associated with multiple platforms. At the end of the day, it's the individual consumer who makes the BYOD purchase decision.

What does BB10 and Balance offer the "joe average" consumer?

If an employee chooses a phone with BB10 OS they have a phone that has the same (if not better) "bells and whistles" that Google's (GOOG) and Apple's (AAPL) iOS currently offer.
With BB10 they have a phone that can be used as a Work Tool but at the same time has all of the functionality of a "Play or Personal phone".
With BB10 an employee has the built in functionality that allows them to "shut off" the work profile after hours or on weekends when they don't want to be bothered by the emails and texts associated with a "Work Phone" or they can choose to have the "Unified" inbox to keep abreast of both personal and work communications --the flexibility is unlimited.
Most importantly, by choosing a BB10 phone with the Blackberry Balance feature an employee can be secure in the knowledge that their personal profile is free from the prying eyes of their employer. They do not have to be concerned with what apps they have downloaded, what web sites they visit or what they say when sending an email or a text.
It's a win / win and a very "balanced" approach to the BYOD trend. Companies get the security they so covet and employees get the same security and "personal space" that is currently lacking in the BYOD trend.

The analysts and bloggers have always tended to look at the Balance feature from just the corporate view, however, I think we are missing the point if we don't look at it from the consumer/employee side.

Personal privacy can and will play a big role in consumer decisions for which smartphone to chose in the context of a BYOD purchase.

That option was never part of the decision making process in the past because that feature did not exist in a competitive smartphone.

With BB10 that option is now available and no other OS (Android/Windows or iOS) has that ability -- it simply cannot be done with their current architecture/OS.[/QUOTE]

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1043701 ... urce=yahoo
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
998 upvotes
Vaughan
Very excited for the new BB's. Been a Blackberry user for years up until recently, as I'm waiting for the new phones.

Simply put, everyone is discounting RIMs chances because they aren't informed about what the company does, and is doing. Headlines for the past year have been all about RIMs demise, and how bad it will be, etc.

Research the company, research the product, and then make your informed decision. Guarantee your thought changes.

Or, maybe I'm just biased because I bought into RIM at it's lowest and now I'm up 60%. Either way, this is a company that people should be rooting for, not putting down.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2010
2635 posts
161 upvotes
fluidmax wrote: ya.....5 years too late
Options are bad.
Owner of hunks of metal, silicon, glass, plastic with 1s and 0s and some electrons powering them.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2010
2635 posts
161 upvotes
mc_molineux wrote: WP8 launched before Christmas and hasn't exactly set the world alight. If that extra 3 months gives RIM the opportunity to improve the product and come up with a compelling launch, then it will have been time well spent.
Yeah. If they can get all features done solid, late launch is alright.

MSFT itself acknowledged they ran out of time on some features for WP8 (one being a notification center). So if RIM doesn't have to do the same, even better.
Owner of hunks of metal, silicon, glass, plastic with 1s and 0s and some electrons powering them.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
7125 posts
1801 upvotes
My thoughts are simple on this..

They could add all the bells and whistles in that phone that humanity has ever seen but the only thing that could ever work is the final cost of phone.

Price it cheaper than Nexus 4; even if you take a hit on the final cost and grow user-base because in the long run this is the only thing that will save this company.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted - Ezio Auditore.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
3283 posts
567 upvotes
mrperfect wrote: My thoughts are simple on this..

They could add all the bells and whistles in that phone that humanity has ever seen but the only thing that could ever work is the final cost of phone.

Price it cheaper than Nexus 4; even if you take a hit on the final cost and grow user-base because in the long run this is the only thing that will save this company.
Totally different markets. Nexus 4s are more meant for tech-lovers who buy their phones outright who want the pure Android OS.

A lot of BBs are still bought by companies as business expenses. If they sold for $350, RIM would be leaving money on the table.
Dec 21, 2010
63 posts
4 upvotes
O1IN85 wrote: I met some people who recently switched to an iPhone or Android from BB and I swear it's like they just discovered electricity. They said they would never go back to a BB ever.
Really? I've met a number of people (myself included) who switched from Blackberry to Android or iPhone, and while they love their toy, they miss their phone. Plus, with tablets being so cheap, you can have an even better toy while still keeping a better phone.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2010
3784 posts
181 upvotes
Barrie
They took too long to release this but it looks pretty good so hopefully they can get back on their feet.
We don't know, so it's possible. And it's possible, so it's probably probable.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21264 posts
6247 upvotes
Poormond Hill
What is the point in having a phone with two separate profiles?
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4760 posts
383 upvotes
mc_molineux wrote: Totally different markets. Nexus 4s are more meant for tech-lovers who buy their phones outright who want the pure Android OS.

A lot of BBs are still bought by companies as business expenses. If they sold for $350, RIM would be leaving money on the table.
That kind of thinking is the reason there was a non-existent consumer market for the BlackBerry.
sandikosh wrote: What is the point in having a phone with two separate profiles?
Really? Have you ever used corporate email on a personal phone? Being able to easily swap between receiving work related items during work hours and leaving work and my phone at work would be great, I don't want to see an email from India every time I reply to my friend's text or call. I would not mind such a feature.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3116 posts
2251 upvotes
Canadia
Apple was late to the phone market, too. Nokia and Motorola had dominated for a decade. Yet they managed to redefine the market with a disruptive change, just as RIM had done with their keyboard-equipped handsets a few years before.

Perhaps BB10 will carve out a market niche. That said, the odds are stacked against them because the new products are evolutionary, not revolutionary.
Oct 13, 2008
552 posts
166 upvotes
Am I the only one who doesn't want a lot of people to use Blackberry? Nowadays everyone uses an iphone or an android device. Some people like myself still love the features BB provide and the phones definitely stand out in a crowd. It's very simple to make a call/msg and e-mail management on bb is still very appealing.

I've tried both iphone/GS3 before but I just can't ditch my blackberry. I think having an ipad with blackberry is a great combination. You get all the benefits you can get from both worlds.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
3283 posts
567 upvotes
Lovable wrote: That kind of thinking is the reason there was a non-existent consumer market for the BlackBerry.
I'm sure that there will be more consumer-oriented phones coming after launch that are priced at or below the Nexus 4.

Cheap pricing on the flagship doesn't seem to have helped the Lumia 920 ($450 in the US). It's sad, but most consumers are slaves to the contract and only care about the subsidized carrier price.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2007
6929 posts
3559 upvotes
Caledon
sandikosh wrote: What is the point in having a phone with two separate profiles?
- take some time to read about BYOD...
- Two profiles are easy for the admin to manage the phone
- control work partitions. push and block and apply polices, apps ..
- when they fire you, with one click, that work partition is gone ...
Aug 23, 2007
401 posts
141 upvotes
Another quick video of BB10

Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2004
3220 posts
565 upvotes
GVA
So we still need to use blackberry specific data to use blackberry rim specific apps right? Is there any point getting a BB10 and only be able to use third party apps with a generic data plan? No BBM, email syncing or any apps that go through RIM's servers
Dec 21, 2010
63 posts
4 upvotes
zetx wrote: I've tried both iphone/GS3 before but I just can't ditch my blackberry. I think having an ipad with blackberry is a great combination. You get all the benefits you can get from both worlds.
This is something I've started to see people want. The iPad does all the fun stuff an iPhone does, only better, meaning people with iPads use iPhones more as a phone, and less as a toy. Without that draw, there's no reason to have an iPhone over another phone, whereas something like a blackberry with a keyboard is superior for phone, email and texting. Blackberry won't necessarily be a success and take over the niche, but there's definitely a niche in the market for a phone that just focuses on being great at phoning, texting and email. Part of the issue is that this niche needs to be communicated to people, so they evaluate whether they really do need a 'toy' phone over a practical phone.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)