New 2 Year Contract Law screwing customers more? Rogers/Telus

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 23rd, 2013 2:02 am
[OP]
Sep 20, 2013
7 posts
1 upvote

New 2 Year Contract Law screwing customers more? Rogers/Telus

I called in recently to renew my contract and upgrade my phone. Currently, I am on the "I threatened to cancel" Cell phone plan for around $45. Now the cell phone providers say that they can only do 2 year contracts and not 3 year, so I have to have a minimum $85 plan ($75 because I'm such a loyal customer *roll eyes*) if I want a discounted smart phone (Iphone 5s, New Samsungs, etc.).

I haven't changed provider over 15 years, so a 3 year term is not a big deal to me (I always threaten to cancel and get a deal). I prefer a discounted phone, but it doesn't seem like a good deal if i have to pay $85/month for a monthly plan.

Is anyone else having this problem? Is there anyway around this or are we just getting screwed one way or another. I am currently with Rogers Wireless but I assume Bell/Telus are the same.
76 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3072 posts
96 upvotes
Mississauga
We've cried about contracts being too long and now we're crying because of the result. Call retentions, play hardball and see what you can get.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
20354 posts
1591 upvotes
StealOfADeal wrote:
Sep 21st, 2013 1:24 pm
I called in recently to renew my contract and upgrade my phone. Currently, I am on the "I threatened to cancel" Cell phone plan for around $45. Now the cell phone providers say that they can only do 2 year contracts and not 3 year, so I have to have a minimum $85 plan ($75 because I'm such a loyal customer *roll eyes*) if I want a discounted smart phone (Iphone 5s, New Samsungs, etc.).

I haven't changed provider over 15 years, so a 3 year term is not a big deal to me (I always threaten to cancel and get a deal). I prefer a discounted phone, but it doesn't seem like a good deal if i have to pay $85/month for a monthly plan.

Is anyone else having this problem? Is there anyway around this or are we just getting screwed one way or another. I am currently with Rogers Wireless but I assume Bell/Telus are the same.
The new law is not screwing customers, the carriers are.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2003
1408 posts
176 upvotes
Kasakato wrote:
Sep 21st, 2013 1:38 pm
The new law is not screwing customers, the carriers are.
If you don't want to get screwed don't buy their services and quit complaining.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
1646 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
Planning to do a HUP for the new 5s, my currently plan is the $60 6gb super plan. Does anyone know if Rogers is going to make me sign up for a new plan?
--------------------------------------
flickr
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2009
2354 posts
150 upvotes
Brampton
My sister just renewed her contract with Telus for a 5s. They offered her $70 with more or less everything she needed. Only 1gb though.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
20354 posts
1591 upvotes
putty wrote:
Sep 21st, 2013 1:42 pm
If you don't want to get screwed don't buy their services and quit complaining.
I'm not complaining, Im correcting the title.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
5851 posts
504 upvotes
London
StealOfADeal wrote:

They are all the same at the moment at least. Your best bet is to negotiate he best deal you can with retentions and buy your phone outright. You end up paying for the phone either way. This way you get an unlocked one anyways.

That or switch to a plan or carrier with a good bring your own device price.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
2391 posts
292 upvotes
Joliette
StealOfADeal wrote:

If you get an older phone like the Galaxy S3, Optimus G or Xperia ZL, you can get much cheaper deal on plans that's closer to what you're used to paying.
[OP]
Sep 20, 2013
7 posts
1 upvote
Amourek wrote:
Sep 21st, 2013 2:15 pm
Working out fine for me. Rogers renewed my $40 6GB retention plan and I'm in the reservation line for a fully subsidized 5S.
When was your last upgrade? I know Cell phone providers base each account on level of revenue (1 to 5). They can treat you like a king if your revenue is high. I'll have to wait a few weeks and try the retention department again as I'm sure there getting alot of arguments now since the 5S just came out.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
2391 posts
292 upvotes
Joliette
Amourek wrote:
Working out fine for me. Rogers renewed my $40 6GB retention plan and I'm in the reservation line for a fully subsidized 5S.
Yeah but you're an outlier, not exactly a situation that would happen out of 9999/10000 times
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
1981 posts
419 upvotes
Vancouver
Amourek wrote:
Hmm, it seems Retentions are easing up just a smidge, and huge YMMV of course.
Deal Guru
Feb 6, 2003
10026 posts
382 upvotes
Vancouver
StealOfADeal wrote:
Sep 21st, 2013 2:26 pm
When was your last upgrade? I know Cell phone providers base each account on level of revenue (1 to 5). They can treat you like a king if your revenue is high.
3 years ago. It they renew me again in 2 years, I'll actually be paying even less than I was before after the phone subsidy is accounted for.
Nov 30, 2009
396 posts
86 upvotes
You have to pay for the phone, now you just have to pay for it in 2 years instead of three; don't like it? Buy your phone outright, put it on your credit card, see how much they charge you in interest over 3 years...
× < >