Cell Phones

New (2015) Moto X Style ($399 USD), Moto X Play (~$399 CAD) and Moto G ($179 USD)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2015 10:53 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2014
1332 posts
783 upvotes
Ottawa
b166er1337 wrote: Can't buy in Canada officially. Like I said, disappointing for Canadians.
They haven't said it won't be sold in Canada.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7725 posts
5238 upvotes
Canada
Style could be a Rogers exclusive in Canada as they are not getting the Play
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2010
1042 posts
338 upvotes
Edmonton
I'm actually pretty tempted to get the Play. $399 off contract (compared to the style's ~$520 after exchange and a trip to the US)

Most of my smartphone complaints are about battery, not number of pixels.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7725 posts
5238 upvotes
Canada
Trav wrote: I'm actually pretty tempted to get the Play. $399 off contract (compared to the style's ~$520 after exchange and a trip to the US)

I agree, Play looks good for $400 CAD. But I'm waiting for the camera reviews and screen quality to see how it compares with the $300 CAD Idol 3 which also has a 1080p 5.5", 2gb ram, microsd, SD615
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2217 posts
438 upvotes
Trav wrote: I'm actually pretty tempted to get the Play. $399 off contract (compared to the style's ~$520 after exchange and a trip to the US)

Yeah I agree. I like a good screen like the next person, but they all look the same these days, and no one notices that much of a difference if looking at it everyday.

Only thing that has me nervous is the SD615.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2010
1042 posts
338 upvotes
Edmonton
enhanced wrote: Yeah I agree. I like a good screen like the next person, but they all look the same these days, and no one notices that much of a difference if looking at it everyday.

Only thing that has me nervous is the SD615.
True, but in my case the SD615 is theoretically better than what I have in my olllld Nexus 4.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6493 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
Looks like Moto is trying to push further upmarket with the new Moto X's. They want people that wanted a 2GB Moto G to go for the more expensive Moto X Play.
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Jun 4, 2007
484 posts
401 upvotes
Rural Alberta
Is it me or did Motorola just start a revolution today? They announced 3 smartphones that are comparable to today's flagships at affordable prices. Best of all, it looks like they will be available to the masses as opposed to just contract customers. I wonder what the big folks at Robelus are thinking now.

Great job Motorola. I'm gonna be picking up one of these to replace my Nexus 5.

Team #nocontract represent! :D
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6493 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
It sucks that the Candadian dollar is crap right now. If the dollar was still par to the US, the Moto X Play could of been had for $310 USD.... :cry:

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Seems Lenovo can really innovate.

Is Huawei really making the next Nexus smartphone?

Are the batteries removable?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13375 posts
8307 upvotes
Brampton
Yorker86 wrote: Is it me or did Motorola just start a revolution today? They announced 3 smartphones that are comparable to today's flagships at affordable prices. Best of all, it looks like they will be available to the masses as opposed to just contract customers. I wonder what the big folks at Robelus are thinking now.

Great job Motorola. I'm gonna be picking up one of these to replace my Nexus 5.

Team #nocontract represent! :D
They made a flagship for the common man(woman).
The SoC choices are questionable. I would have like to see a SD810 detuned to power the Style due to it's GPU being more fit for 2K+ duty. An 808 Detuned for the Play again for the GPU. The 615 might be a little bit more power efficient on the CPU side but the GPU is noticeably gimped. Not to mention better modems.

I just feel that this round QC really screwed over a lot of their partners with their lackluster SoCs.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3885 posts
666 upvotes
I may have to pick up a play when they come out next month
Jun 29, 2015
259 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto, ON
really wished the Moto X Play had at least 3GB RAM.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6493 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
I don't know. Might have to go for the Zenfone 2 16 GB version at $250 CAD. Moto did not come up with an answer for that model that is roughly the same price as the Moto G but has the same (or better) performance as the new Moto X Play (minus the camera, larger battery, and build quality). The new Moto G is a bit under powered for the money (it using the same processor as the $150 Moto E). I was hoping they were going to put the Snapdragon 610 quad core into the Moto G as an option. Would have been the perfect sized phone and price for me. I guess I'll keep dreaming.....

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6493 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
alanbrenton wrote:
Are the batteries removable?
Nope.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2006
2069 posts
80 upvotes
Trav wrote: True, but in my case the SD615 is theoretically better than what I have in my olllld Nexus 4.
Doesnt the SD615 have heating issues? or was that only with sony M4 ?
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither" - Benjamin Franklin.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6493 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
Canadian pricing: http://mobilesyrup.com/2015/07/28/moto- ... ilability/

The Moto X Play will be “about $400″ from Bell, Koodo, TELUS, Videotron and Wind Mobile. The new Moto G will arrive starting July 31st for “about $199″ from Bell, Koodo, TELUS or Virgin Mobile, and Wind Mobile “in the coming weeks.”

Moto G will be on sale July 31, and Moto X Play sometime in August. 1 GB RAM version only.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7185 upvotes
Calgary
Billa-786 wrote: Doesnt the SD615 have heating issues? or was that only with sony M4 ?
810 is the one with heating issues. All phones gets hot when running power intensive apps but it's especially an issue for 810. I havent heard much about that on 615 though.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6493 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
Billa-786 wrote: Doesnt the SD615 have heating issues? or was that only with sony M4 ?
I believe that it has some issues (but not as much as the 810). Maybe the M4 Aqua's design made the problem worse?

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!