• Jun 13th, 2018 9:32 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3319 posts
794 upvotes
Toronto

New Amazon scam or is this legit?

Ok, so we all know the "just launched" sellers on Amazon with incredible prices are fake sellers that never deliver products, usually resulting in an escalation/dispute with Amazon when the product doesn't arrive... Hopefully with a full refund.

I'm shopping for a particularly expensive piece of home theater equipment (will withold the item and seller's name for now)... Under this product page, there's an option to buy it "used" for HALF the price of the listed new unit. Great, right? I buy used items from Amazon Warehouse all the time and get fantastic deals.

Only caveat here is that beside the description it states to email the seller first before completing the order on Amazon.

Weird, ok... But i oblige. And about an hour later I receive the following email....
"Hello,

I will explain in this email all terms and condition of product and transaction.
The [item description removed for now] is BRAND NEW, never used, ( US model, not grey market or refurbished), but Amazon does not let us list it as new. The product is Sealed in its original box and comes with full Warranty, receipt, all manufacturer supplied accessories...
The total price is $500.00 USD including all shipping taxes if you are in US and for international shipping you have to pay extra 29,99 $ (outside US) .
If you want to buy, send me your phone number, full name, shipping address and I will contact Amazon asap to process your order. Dispatch is by normal UPS Services, which takes 1-3 days depending on where in the US you are.
My return policy is full money back in 30 days.

For more information don't hesitate to contact us!"

So whats the catch here? Seems like the purchase stilll goes through amazon... So there's still a level of security/assurance for a refund of this doesn't pan out?

The seller has a 4.5/5 start (90%) rating over 119 transactions for the past 12 months. So, seems pretty legit from that front.

Extremely tempted here given the potential deal/savings to be had (even after usd to cad conversion). But as you know the saying goes "if its too good to be true...."

But the RFD'er in me also says "buy now, think later"

Care to share your insights or experience?
6 replies
Sep 30, 2015
137 posts
132 upvotes
East York, ON
Old scam - They will eventually ask you to pay by Amazon giftcard which they will steal.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
3532 posts
3558 upvotes
"If you want to buy, send me your phone number, full name, shipping address and I will contact Amazon asap to process your order. Dispatch is by normal UPS Services" ???

The product is shipped by Amazon or the marketplace seller ? Forget about the seller rating, it can be fake. Some sellers are waiting for big money to SCAM.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2004
2164 posts
55 upvotes
If Amazon doesn't let them list as 'new', why can't you just buy and pay for the "used" item through Amazon?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3319 posts
794 upvotes
Toronto
OK.... just to follow up

Pretty convinced this is a scam now... not quite sure how it works. But "if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...."

I sent a follow up email to the seller asking very specific questions regarding who will be fulfilling the order and payment options via amazon, and got this VERY generic and completely unrelated reply back:
"Hello,

Price is low because:

1) Is last model in my store.
2) Was exposed in my store in the show case.

Condition is a 10/10. Box Opened Only. All Manufacturer Supplied Accessories Included. Excellent Condition. Full manufacturer's warranty; Buy With Confidence

This deal will go through Amazon Platform and A to Z Guarantee Program.

To set up our transaction I need the follow info:
Full Name:
Shipping Address:
City / Postal Code:
Product:
Quantity:
Phone Number :

99% order ships out same day or next business day GUARANTEED! Customer Satisfaction GUARANTEED!

I will immediately send the required data, Amazon will contact you to order, details about payment and shipping. in maximum 5 days you will receive product.
Waiting your reply ASAP!"

... I didn't ask anything about why the price was so low. LOL.

Anyways, for full disclosure and to hopefully help future buyers avoid this scam... it was for an Oppo UDP-203 UHD 4K Player... which typically sells for about $1,000... he was selling it for $500.

Just checking back on the listing now... surprise, surprise, his store no longer lists the item for sale.

Amazon Store: Redrock Distributing
Amazon web link: https://www.amazon.com/sp?seller=A373D28BDDC7ZR
Seller Name (likely fake): Gunter Fedler
Seller Email: gunter.fedler@gmail.com

Thinking this through a little bit more, it may be possible that the Amazon Store is legit... but the account may have been hacked. The store/seller has very positive reviews. It's possible that the hacker is using this store's credentials as a front to list items at discounted prices and somehow getting payment from Amazon for those who fall for this scam.

Anyways... hope this thread helps someone in the future if this name comes up in a google search.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1736 posts
195 upvotes
Repooc wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 10:12 am

Price is low because:

1) Is last model in my store.
2) Was exposed in my store in the show case.
Repooc wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 10:12 am
To set up our transaction I need the follow info:
Full Name:
Shipping Address:
City / Postal Code:
Product:
Quantity:
Phone Number :
Interesting how he states it's his last one, and then he asks for the quantity you want.
Dec 22, 2007
309 posts
86 upvotes
Mississauga
Repooc wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 5:30 pm
Ok, so we all know the "just launched" sellers on Amazon with incredible prices are fake sellers that never deliver products, usually resulting in an escalation/dispute with Amazon when the product doesn't arrive... Hopefully with a full refund.

I'm shopping for a particularly expensive piece of home theater equipment (will withold the item and seller's name for now)... Under this product page, there's an option to buy it "used" for HALF the price of the listed new unit. Great, right? I buy used items from Amazon Warehouse all the time and get fantastic deals.

Only caveat here is that beside the description it states to email the seller first before completing the order on Amazon.

Weird, ok... But i oblige. And about an hour later I receive the following email....
"Hello,

I will explain in this email all terms and condition of product and transaction.
The [item description removed for now] is BRAND NEW, never used, ( US model, not grey market or refurbished), but Amazon does not let us list it as new. The product is Sealed in its original box and comes with full Warranty, receipt, all manufacturer supplied accessories...
The total price is $500.00 USD including all shipping taxes if you are in US and for international shipping you have to pay extra 29,99 $ (outside US) .
If you want to buy, send me your phone number, full name, shipping address and I will contact Amazon asap to process your order. Dispatch is by normal UPS Services, which takes 1-3 days depending on where in the US you are.
My return policy is full money back in 30 days.

For more information don't hesitate to contact us!"

So whats the catch here? Seems like the purchase stilll goes through amazon... So there's still a level of security/assurance for a refund of this doesn't pan out?

The seller has a 4.5/5 start (90%) rating over 119 transactions for the past 12 months. So, seems pretty legit from that front.

Extremely tempted here given the potential deal/savings to be had (even after usd to cad conversion). But as you know the saying goes "if its too good to be true...."

But the RFD'er in me also says "buy now, think later"

Care to share your insights or experience?
Maybe not your case but I went through something similar like this two years ago for a OLED Tv. It was a us merchant and it was legit got a new in the box tv for a great price at the time. Paid with credit card without issues.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)