Home & Garden

New asphalt driveway, when can I park on it?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2009 3:11 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
2862 posts
214 upvotes
Kitchener

New asphalt driveway, when can I park on it?

I just had a new asphalt driveway put down today. Any recommendations on how long I should wait before parking on it?

Thanks.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2009
2087 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto
Whenever the driveway has cooled I would guess.

That shouldn't take long, maybe a few hours in this cool weather.
Nov 24, 2004
944 posts
42 upvotes
Call the company that installed it for you. They'd be able to give you the most accurate information.
Apr 5, 2008
33 posts
1 upvote
Kitchener
When I got my new driveway paved I was told 48 hours. But it seemed that all my neighbors waited about 5 days so I followed along.
Nov 27, 2006
70 posts
Waiting overnight will be sufficient. With all new asphalt it is very important to not "dry-turn" your vehicles wheels on it. ie. When you turn the wheel your car should be rolling.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5723 posts
509 upvotes
You can't. Why would you want to ruin it with tire marks? :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1726 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
If you're going to park on it wait the 48hours, overnight might be too short it might sink with the weight of the vehicle.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
2862 posts
214 upvotes
Kitchener
Thanks for the suggestions. The company told me to wait 2-3 days, but I was wondering how much time other people waited.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10002 posts
923 upvotes
Brampton
Few months ago we had our top coat done & we also waited 3-4 days before parking but had a few people turn on our driveway leaving nice tire marks :mad: Plus we also noticed that even after 2 weeks our own tires were marking the new asphalt, looks like they used a very cheap soft compound & now we have no choice but to install interlock because I just can't stand looking at it > :( Even my child's bike would "sink" & leave marks :eek: :rolleyes:

Hope the company that did your driveway used a better quality asphalt than ours.
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
2083 posts
184 upvotes
patrob wrote:
Nov 10th, 2009 8:52 pm
Hope the company that did your driveway used a better quality asphalt than ours.
I think a lot of the time it's the preparation, and not the asphalt that is to blame. Us and a neighbour down the street had our driveways done pretty close to the same time, but by different companies. Our company waited a few weeks between removal and laying new asphalt to let the ground dry out and firm up. The neighbour had the removal and laying happen within days of each other.

Fast forward 2 years and our driveway still looks amazing, and theirs has ruts that I'm sure my car would bottom out on if I tried to park there (luckily they drive a big truck so don't have to worry about that).
Nov 6, 2007
9 posts
Vaughan
I would suggest waiting at least until the asphalt cools down, but that may not guarantee that ruts will not form.

In theory you shouldn't have to wait very long, but that would assume, among other things, that the proper granular base material was used and compacted, the proper asphalt material was used, placed at the right temperature and fully compacted. There is no curing time required for asphalt as there is for concrete, as there is no chemical reaction occurring.
× < >