[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8523 upvotes
GTHA

New Auto Recall Law Proposed

Canada to propose auto recall law

[QUOTE]Canada's federal government will introduce legislation this week that would make it possible to force manufacturers to recall defective vehicles, Transport Canada said in a release on Monday.

Under Canadian law, manufacturers must notify consumers of defects, but actual repairs are voluntary. In practice, manufacturers do typically pay for repairs.

"While manufacturers and importers actively issue recalls, the decision cannot rest exclusively in industry's hands," said Transport Minister Lisa Raitt in the release.

The government promised the change in its 2015 budget, released in April.

The news comes in the midst of massive recalls linked to defective Takata air bags, which have affected millions of vehicles from automakers worldwide.

Any new legislation is unlikely to pass before an expected election in October. (Reporting by Allison Martell; Editing by Steve Orlofsky)[/QUOTE]

imho, needs to apply all previous recalls.
8 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
13127 posts
1665 upvotes
Why doesn't Canada have a Lemon Law like US?? Why don't our politicians get off their rears and provide the consumer with a better auto protection laws?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7167 posts
3408 upvotes
Kootenays
I listened to Phil Edmonston on the radio this morning and he had a very logical, effective solution. Make it impossible to transfer titles to automobiles without a recall clearance letter. The problem of voluntary recalls being ignored would be solved instantly.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15942 posts
5199 upvotes
eldiablo wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2015 11:09 am
Why doesn't Canada have a Lemon Law like US?? Why don't our politicians get off their rears and provide the consumer with a better auto protection laws?
Because harper's ideology says customers exist to serve businesses and corporate overlords, not the other way around :(
This law has no teeth if the government won't use it, like many other laws on the books but only enforced at their whims it has no teeth if the implementers ignore it or are ordered to do so (unofficially as has happened many times with this government).
In Japan, the hand can be used like a knife.
But this method doesn't work with a tomato...
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2015
1486 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto, ON
smacd wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2015 11:28 am
I listened to Phil Edmonston on the radio this morning and he had a very logical, effective solution. Make it impossible to transfer titles to automobiles without a recall clearance letter. The problem of voluntary recalls being ignored would be solved instantly.
That would certainly help...

But it may also be considered an undue restriction on commerce, given that currently manufacturers aren't required to incur the cost of the recall.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
13127 posts
1665 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2015 11:34 am
Because harper's ideology says customers exist to serve businesses and corporate overlords, not the other way around :(
This law has no teeth if the government won't use it, like many other laws on the books but only enforced at their whims it has no teeth if the implementers ignore it or are ordered to do so (unofficially as has happened many times with this government).
+1
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
13127 posts
1665 upvotes
smacd wrote:
Excellent idea if it were put into law!!
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4441 posts
1851 upvotes
Mississauga
I think it should be specific to safety-related recalls. I received a recall notice once on a previous vehicle. Basically it said to return to the dealership so they could replace the English-only sticker on the inside surface of the seatbelt bolt trim cover with a bilingual one. Seriously? You want me to waste half my morning bringing my car in to replace an obscure sticker?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8523 upvotes
GTHA
smacd wrote:
eldiablo wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2015 11:43 am
Excellent idea if it were put into law!!
mrweather wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2015 12:52 pm
I think it should be specific to safety-related recalls. I received a recall notice once on a previous vehicle. Basically it said to return to the dealership so they could replace the English-only sticker on the inside surface of the seatbelt bolt trim cover with a bilingual one. Seriously? You want me to waste half my morning bringing my car in to replace an obscure sticker?
Agree with mrweather