Food & Drink

NEW AYCE Japanese Restaurant List - GTA

Poll: Has his thead been usefull?

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1407 posts
474 upvotes
anyone been to new generation sushi on Bloor? My cousin told me it was really good but from yelp pictures, it looked like any other AYCE sushi place
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10825 posts
1430 upvotes
Toronto
LKane1 wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2017 2:16 am
I have a feeling they'll start taking away stuff from their "upgraded menu" after the initial opening phase. They took away the baked oysters from the HWY 7 location, which I found very disappointing.
Yes, "special" food items to get people in, and have it planted in their brain that the place is there, then cut back later on...makes some sense, but let's not forget they have to compete head on with Spring rolls and Spring Sushi, both not all that far from them.
Watch them have a Monday-Thursday special price promotion, (no doubt) then remind people that various "all you can taste" items are week end only...I've seen that happen other places.
Last edited by playnicee1 on Jul 24th, 2017 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10825 posts
1430 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2017 9:12 am
anyone been to new generation sushi on Bloor? My cousin told me it was really good but from yelp pictures, it looked like any other AYCE sushi place
New Generation sushi? Careful with that name. There's two on Bloor. The one closer to Bathurst station is AYCE and the other one closer to Spadina station is Bento box or regular a la carte pricing only.
The AYCE location is heavinly...but to really treat yourself you need to splurge on week end pricing and order anything listed in green. (I think I have the right colour? It's been a few months since I've been there)
The green marked AYCE items are available on week-ends only.

***I'm glad you mentioned this "Now open" place which has been there for a while now, but they fail to remove the grand opening sign from the window. lol
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1407 posts
474 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Jul 24th, 2017 1:27 am
New Generation sushi? Careful with that name. There's two on Bloor. The one closer to Bathurst station is AYCE and the other one closer to Spadina station is Bento box or regular a la carte pricing only.
The AYCE location is heavinly...but to really treat yourself you need to splurge on week end pricing and order anything listed in green. (I think I have the right colour? It's been a few months since I've been there)
The green marked AYCE items are available on week-ends only.

***I'm glad you mentioned this "Now open" place which has been there for a while now, but they fail to remove the grand opening sign from the window. lol
oh yeah I noticed there were two, are they owned by the same person but one is AYCE and one isn't? or different owners? that would be awkward

my cousin was talking about the AYCE place, I will definitely try it out
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10825 posts
1430 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote:
Jul 24th, 2017 11:40 am
oh yeah I noticed there were two, are they owned by the same person but one is AYCE and one isn't? or different owners? that would be awkward

my cousin was talking about the AYCE place, I will definitely try it out
They do work together on the website to remind people they can choose AYCE at one place or a la carte (or bento) at the other. They could be family, or friends working together. I honestly don't know.
Note: The AYCE is now closed Mondays. (I think this is a recent change) but they still have the "Now open" sign in the window even though they have been around a while, lol!
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1407 posts
474 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Jul 25th, 2017 12:33 pm
They do work together on the website to remind people they can choose AYCE at one place or a la carte (or bento) at the other. They could be family, or friends working together. I honestly don't know.
Note: The AYCE is now closed Mondays. (I think this is a recent change) but they still have the "Now open" sign in the window even though they have been around a while, lol!
wow that is the first I ever heard of that, maybe they had one restaurant open and wanted to expand
All the places I know of just use the same restaurant and allow people to choose AYCE or order from a la carte menu
Of course everyone sitting at the table has to be choosing the same menu (either AYCE/a la carte) for obvious reasons

Maybe one restaurant has better quality ingredients, better chef etc.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10825 posts
1430 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote:
Jul 25th, 2017 1:37 pm
Maybe one restaurant has better quality ingredients, better chef etc.
Same chef quality, but the a la carte does have select items in larger portion format.
(why sell you just one Japanese dumpling, lol right?)
The AYCE allows for one or two dumplings per order instead of 6 or so.
That's where you'll notice a difference.
(dumplings being just one example)

***Interesting note: The AYCE is closed Mondays and the other location is closed Tuesdays.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1407 posts
474 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Jul 25th, 2017 7:15 pm
Same chef quality, but the a la carte does have select items in larger portion format.
(why sell you just one Japanese dumpling, lol right?)
The AYCE allows for one or two dumplings per order instead of 6 or so.
That's where you'll notice a difference.
(dumplings being just one example)

***Interesting note: The AYCE is closed Mondays and the other location is closed Tuesdays.
wait, can't you just order 6 dumplings as well at the AYCE place? or do they limit you?
I think it's an asian thing, the Chinese restaurant near my house is closed on Mondays too
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10825 posts
1430 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote:
Jul 25th, 2017 8:34 pm
wait, can't you just order 6 dumplings as well at the AYCE place? or do they limit you?
I think it's an asian thing, the Chinese restaurant near my house is closed on Mondays too
Just passed by there earlier today. The AYCE New Generation sushi DOES allow menu format for dinner (ie bento box) but in the window they advertise it like it's only a lunch thing.
I still recommend the AYCE format because it lets you get a little taste of everything...but if you are alone and you order more than two of something you are reminded that you are responsible to eat all the food you order or there is a $10 waste fee.
(Fee applies to actual untouched food present on table, no take out allowed.)
That's why it is good to accept only one or two of something (where possible) so there is opportunity to try a little of everything.
Also, the Avocado salad is in a tiny bowl at the AYCE (you can order more if desired) while the a la carte NG sushi place across the street is serving the same salad in a large bowl.
Again, portion sizes are a part of the difference when comparing the two places.
Mar 27, 2011
373 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto
Trying to do a weekend lunch AYCE in the GTA (Vaughan, North York, Markham, Richmond Hill, Scarborough). Would like to keep it around ~$20 all in. Thinking of Yang's Kitchen. Do you guys have any suggestions?
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1407 posts
474 upvotes
gekaizer wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 7:58 am
Trying to do a weekend lunch AYCE in the GTA (Vaughan, North York, Markham, Richmond Hill, Scarborough). Would like to keep it around ~$20 all in. Thinking of Yang's Kitchen. Do you guys have any suggestions?
spoon and fork, north York I think lunch is $19 or $20 +tax and tip but you get sashimi. I don't think others give sashimi at lunch
but if you don't like sashimi then that wouldn't matter
They also have dim sum items and eel sashimi, not sure if its raw eel, its the same stuff on the black dragon roll in big portions, teriyaki sauce and without rice.
Mar 27, 2011
373 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 7:12 pm
spoon and fork, north York I think lunch is $19 or $20 +tax and tip but you get sashimi. I don't think others give sashimi at lunch
but if you don't like sashimi then that wouldn't matter
They also have dim sum items and eel sashimi, not sure if its raw eel, its the same stuff on the black dragon roll in big portions, teriyaki sauce and without rice.
Thanks! Actually I've only tried the Vaughan location. Ended up going to Kuu Dinner lol.

Definitely worth the price and experience. I don't eat out often so this once or twice a month is a great treat.

Appreciate the response though!
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1407 posts
474 upvotes
gekaizer wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 7:21 pm
Thanks! Actually I've only tried the Vaughan location. Ended up going to Kuu Dinner lol.

Definitely worth the price and experience. I don't eat out often so this once or twice a month is a great treat.

Appreciate the response though!
you've got to try the north York location one day! They have eel sashimi, and dim sum, which the Vaughan location doesn't have. At dinner at the north York location they have lamb chops and veal too. You order on an iPad though which some people like, I prefer to just order off a menu with a waiter
How was kuu dinner?
Mar 27, 2011
373 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 8:31 pm
you've got to try the north York location one day! They have eel sashimi, and dim sum, which the Vaughan location doesn't have. At dinner at the north York location they have lamb chops and veal too. You order on an iPad though which some people like, I prefer to just order off a menu with a waiter
How was kuu dinner?
Oh? I'll keep that in mind, thanks!!

Regarding Kuu:

Amazing experience | Great value for money | Top notch service | Tablet ordering system | Excellent presentation

This will be our go-to AYCE sushi. Went on a Saturday for Dinner ($28.99 Adult).

DECOR: Very modern, clean, nice lighting and murals. The tables are quite close together, but I didn't care, I'm there to eat and enjoy the time with the wife; not listen to other people's gossip :D

DISHES:
+ FRESH, DELICIOUS, GREAT PORTIONS
= Sushi and sashimi were very fresh to the taste
= Very well made sushi rice and the perfect serving size
= Great presentation

SERVICE:
+ ATTENTIVE SERVERS
= Was able to easily flag down servers
= Finished plates were removed often
= Water was refilled frequently without asking
= All orders came out and fast (even though it was peak dinner time)

SUMMARY
Overall had an amazing experience. For us two, we had 70+ orders and was totally worth the price. We do not eat out often, so choosing a reliable place with great value and quality is really important to us.

FAV. DISHES:
+ SUSHI: Squid, salmon, unagi, great dragon roll(? one of their signature rolls)
+ SASHIMI: Salmon tataki, omelette
+ ALL THE TORCHED SUSHI!!!
+ OTHERS: ika yaki, enoki roll, shrimp skewer

They also have a salad, soup, and dessert bar. It's close enough to Kaka, but slightly cheaper. I definitely recommend it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)