Food & Drink

NEW AYCE Japanese Restaurant List - GTA

Poll: Has his thead been usefull?

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2009
4455 posts
711 upvotes
Scarborough
gekaizer wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 9:28 pm
Oh? I'll keep that in mind, thanks!!

Regarding Kuu:

Amazing experience | Great value for money | Top notch service | Tablet ordering system | Excellent presentation

This will be our go-to AYCE sushi. Went on a Saturday for Dinner ($28.99 Adult).

DECOR: Very modern, clean, nice lighting and murals. The tables are quite close together, but I didn't care, I'm there to eat and enjoy the time with the wife; not listen to other people's gossip :D

DISHES:
+ FRESH, DELICIOUS, GREAT PORTIONS
= Sushi and sashimi were very fresh to the taste
= Very well made sushi rice and the perfect serving size
= Great presentation

SERVICE:
+ ATTENTIVE SERVERS
= Was able to easily flag down servers
= Finished plates were removed often
= Water was refilled frequently without asking
= All orders came out and fast (even though it was peak dinner time)

SUMMARY
Overall had an amazing experience. For us two, we had 70+ orders and was totally worth the price. We do not eat out often, so choosing a reliable place with great value and quality is really important to us.

FAV. DISHES:
+ SUSHI: Squid, salmon, unagi, great dragon roll(? one of their signature rolls)
+ SASHIMI: Salmon tataki, omelette
+ ALL THE TORCHED SUSHI!!!
+ OTHERS: ika yaki, enoki roll, shrimp skewer

They also have a salad, soup, and dessert bar. It's close enough to Kaka, but slightly cheaper. I definitely recommend it.
Thanks, might go there this weekend!
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10825 posts
1430 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 8:31 pm
you've got to try the north York location one day! They have eel sashimi, and dim sum, which the Vaughan location doesn't have. At dinner at the north York location they have lamb chops and veal too. You order on an iPad though which some people like, I prefer to just order off a menu with a waiter
Yeah, so they can lose your order(s). iPad prevents loss of order and keeps better track of your order.
The paper method means that what you have filled out gets misplaced somehow in hopes that you will forget that you ordered what's missing.
Jun 7, 2009
184 posts
66 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote:
Jul 24th, 2017 1:27 am
New Generation sushi? Careful with that name. There's two on Bloor. The one closer to Bathurst station is AYCE and the other one closer to Spadina station is Bento box or regular a la carte pricing only.
The AYCE location is heavinly...but to really treat yourself you need to splurge on week end pricing and order anything listed in green. (I think I have the right colour? It's been a few months since I've been there)
The green marked AYCE items are available on week-ends only.

***I'm glad you mentioned this "Now open" place which has been there for a while now, but they fail to remove the grand opening sign from the window. lol
The AYCE place was a bit confused when it first opened.

You could order off the Korean menu or the Japanese set menu, there was no AYCE option.

I suppose they realized that one store was cannibalizing the other's sales and/or the Korean menu wasn't selling will (Even though I loved the New Gen Bibimbap......though not authentic), so they decided to change concept to AYCE.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1407 posts
474 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 12:09 pm
Yeah, so they can lose your order(s). iPad prevents loss of order and keeps better track of your order.
The paper method means that what you have filled out gets misplaced somehow in hopes that you will forget that you ordered what's missing.
Actually, the Vaughan location uses waiters, they write it down, and put it into a computer that sends it to the kitchen.
Non the less I have no clue how "orders" get lost, that is the first I've heard of that.

The iPad method is a slower version of ordering food that is set in certain amounts. Ie. Sui mai comes in 2's, if you just wanted 1 what ends up happening is that waiter comes and has to change it which defeats the whole purpose. They also have to come no matter what you order to confirm it so it would be the exact same as ordering with a waiter. There is no benefit, other than your experience of 'losing' order sheets. Some places "lose" it and bring you less food. P.S the sheet isn't actually lost.
Nov 17, 2007
31 posts
1 upvote
Thornhill
I have gone to Kuu several times with friends or family. It is a great place to go. Service is generally very good depending where you sit in the restaurant. Food comes quick and they will clear the tables quick also.
Food is very good and great value for your $28.99.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10825 posts
1430 upvotes
Toronto
souledge wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 12:45 pm
The AYCE place was a bit confused when it first opened.

You could order off the Korean menu or the Japanese set menu, there was no AYCE option.

I suppose they realized that one store was cannibalizing the other's sales and/or the Korean menu wasn't selling will (Even though I loved the New Gen Bibimbap......though not authentic), so they decided to change concept to AYCE.
Nope. They went straight from being a Korean grill AYCE (competing with actual Korean grill restaurant) to being an AYCE sushi place.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10825 posts
1430 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 12:47 pm
Actually, the Vaughan location uses waiters, they write it down, and put it into a computer that sends it to the kitchen.
Non the less I have no clue how "orders" get lost, that is the first I've heard of that.

The iPad method is a slower version of ordering food that is set in certain amounts. Ie. Sui mai comes in 2's, if you just wanted 1 what ends up happening is that waiter comes and has to change it which defeats the whole purpose. They also have to come no matter what you order to confirm it so it would be the exact same as ordering with a waiter. There is no benefit, other than your experience of 'losing' order sheets. Some places "lose" it and bring you less food. P.S the sheet isn't actually lost.
With the iPad you can instantly review what is missing from your table. With the paper method you can not do that. The ipad method is a lot better. You're just not using it right. You can press the plus one button any time on anything.
Jun 7, 2009
184 posts
66 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 7:06 pm
Nope. They went straight from being a Korean grill AYCE (competing with actual Korean grill restaurant) to being an AYCE sushi place.
I'm pretty sure I've ordered the New Gen Assorted Bibimbap multiple times at the New Gen on the North Side of Bloor around 2009 - 2010 when I did my Master's nearby. I have plenty of classmates who have also ordered the same Bibimbap during our dinners that can attest to this.

Perhaps it was a combination set menu / Korean Grill place? I don't remember the AYCE option though. I do remember that it had both a Korean set menu and a Japanese set menu during my Master's.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1407 posts
474 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 7:09 pm
With the iPad you can instantly review what is missing from your table. With the paper method you can not do that. The ipad method is a lot better. You're just not using it right. You can press the plus one button any time on anything.
After you order, you will not be able to see what you ordered
Also no you are wrong, you cannot just press plus 'one' on anything
Jun 7, 2009
184 posts
66 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 2:11 pm
Perhaps your restaurant uses iPads differently than the two I've been to, Kaka and Sushi Legend. You can easily review your order after you submit by pressing the order button on the top right to see what you already have ordered.

Also, you can also plus 1 by hitting the top right corner of each item instead of pressing on it and selecting the quantity.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1407 posts
474 upvotes
souledge wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 9:05 pm
Perhaps your restaurant uses iPads differently than the two I've been to, Kaka and Sushi Legend. You can easily review your order after you submit by pressing the order button on the top right to see what you already have ordered.

Also, you can also plus 1 by hitting the top right corner of each item instead of pressing on it and selecting the quantity.
you will have to call and ask, spoon and fork north York location
Jun 7, 2009
184 posts
66 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 10:56 am
you will have to call and ask, spoon and fork north York location
Apart from the iPad, how was the food?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10825 posts
1430 upvotes
Toronto
souledge wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 10:52 am
I'm pretty sure I've ordered the New Gen Assorted Bibimbap multiple times at the New Gen on the North Side of Bloor around 2009 - 2010 when I did my Master's nearby. I have plenty of classmates who have also ordered the same Bibimbap during our dinners that can attest to this.

Perhaps it was a combination set menu / Korean Grill place? I don't remember the AYCE option though. I do remember that it had both a Korean set menu and a Japanese set menu during my Master's.
They went from being a Korean grill house style place to being an AYCE place, but they've always offered a menu for tables that do not want to do all you can eat.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10825 posts
1430 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 2:11 pm
Are you saying that for every place or just one place? One place does not make or break what's better iPad or paper.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1407 posts
474 upvotes
souledge wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 11:19 am
Apart from the iPad, how was the food?
food was great, tastes more like restaurant quality food than AYCE
the best AYCE I have been to yet
Although they don't have many Japanese dishes like other AYCE
it's sushi, sashimi, tataki a couple Japanese appetizers and then mains, chicken, steak, lamb chops, veal etc.

They won't have things like grilled squid, beef enoki, chicken teriyaki, etc.