Food & Drink

NEW AYCE Japanese Restaurant List - GTA

Poll: Has his thead been usefull?

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1407 posts
474 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 3:46 pm
Are you saying that for every place or just one place? One place does not make or break what's better iPad or paper.
I am talking about spoon and fork at north York
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10825 posts
1430 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote:
Aug 6th, 2017 12:47 pm
I am talking about spoon and fork at north York
Thank-you now kindly stop trashing the ipad method as a whole. It is a lot better than paper an day.
I'm not sure what went wrong at one place, but overall, it's an amazing idea and I'm very glad they came up with it.
All other places let you track your order, etc etc etc without a problem. Instantly, you'll notice what's missing, but not with the paper order.

Oh and also, with paper order, they bring me a new paper and insist that they've brought me all the food, then they bring me something twice and say that I ordered it twice but I didn't.
At least with iPad that prevents this from happening.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1162 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote:
Aug 6th, 2017 1:38 pm
Thank-you now kindly stop trashing the ipad method as a whole. It is a lot better than paper an day.
I'm not sure what went wrong at one place, but overall, it's an amazing idea and I'm very glad they came up with it.
All other places let you track your order, etc etc etc without a problem. Instantly, you'll notice what's missing, but not with the paper order.

Oh and also, with paper order, they bring me a new paper and insist that they've brought me all the food, then they bring me something twice and say that I ordered it twice but I didn't.
I've been to several places with iPad ordering, like kiku, kaka, and tenichi. I can't speak for spoon and fork if they use a diff system, but seemed to me that they all get the software from the same place or something. It's like the GUI are all the same. Unless there's significant version changes, I think all of them have order tracking.
CPU: Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz GPU: GTX980 2xSLI (MSI Gaming 4G, Asus Strix) RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB DDR4-3000 Case: CM Storm Trooper
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme4 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Dual Fan
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 750W 80+ Bronze Monitor: Dell P2715Q 27.0" UHD
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1407 posts
474 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Aug 6th, 2017 1:38 pm

it's personal preference, also if your writing is very bad it will show up as different things being orders/amounts
in that case, iPad is better

I prefer to be able to order what I want in whatever quantities I want so the Ipad ordering system is a lot slower. It would definitely better with some improvements

also not sure which places bring you newspaper, that is quite sad, it must be cheap places
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10825 posts
1430 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 12:45 pm
it's personal preference, also if your writing is very bad it will show up as different things being orders/amounts
in that case, iPad is better

I prefer to be able to order what I want in whatever quantities I want so the Ipad ordering system is a lot slower. It would definitely better with some improvements

also not sure which places bring you newspaper, that is quite sad, it must be cheap places
I never said anything about a newspaper and it's clear to me that you most likely do not know how to use an iPad.
I'll check out this restaurant to see what their iPad is like but I'm pretty sure it's not as bad as you make it out to be if it's anything like all the other places out there using an iPad ordering system.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1407 posts
474 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 3:09 pm
I never said anything about a newspaper and it's clear to me that you most likely do not know how to use an iPad.
I'll check out this restaurant to see what their iPad is like but I'm pretty sure it's not as bad as you make it out to be if it's anything like all the other places out there using an iPad ordering system.

haha wow that was a mistake,

it's personal preference, ordering with a waiter is the easiest way to order in my opinion, nothing gets easier than that. Tell him what you want, how many, and it's done

To be honest, I don't think they are even iPads, not sure if you've noticed but they don't feel like iPads. I have had numerous iPads and they're not as choppy or slow as those. Although it could just be the app and case they have it in

Here is the ipad they have at spoon and fork, this sashimi menu says '1pc' which means it's 1 per order
https://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto ... jepA/o.jpg

Here is the other menu page, it says '2pc' which means its 2 pieces per order, you can't order 1 pc unless you have the waiter come and edit the order. So it is really the same as just getting a waiter to process your order.
https://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto ... xD2Q/o.jpg

This is the page that pops up regardless if you have to edit your order or not
https://s3-media3.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto ... IM4w/o.jpg

It has the waiter come and verify your order, and then send it to the kitchen
Ends up being the same ordering process either way, its just one more step with the iPad
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10825 posts
1430 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 2:11 pm
After you order, you will not be able to see what you ordered
Also no you are wrong, you cannot just press plus 'one' on anything
Press the view order button (it's between the words lunch and about) and you will see what you ordered so far.
Pressing plus one adds what the order is. pressing it again adds the same order.
Thankfully the sushi pizza is small so you can press the plus button once and get 3 per order, but if you press it twice you get 6 and they will not change that.
It's like that for various food items at various ayce sushi places whether there is an ipad or not.
(if not for the sushi pizza, for other food choices, like yam tempura)

Using an ipad still wins. It's always better to be able to press the view order button to verify that all the food you ordered has indeed arrived to the table.
The ipad at Spoon and fork is fine. Learn to use it.
A waiter still comes to your table to make suggestions and recommendations regardless.
Last edited by playnicee1 on Aug 8th, 2017 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10825 posts
1430 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 7:09 pm
It has the waiter come and verify your order, and then send it to the kitchen
Ends up being the same ordering process either way, its just one more step with the iPad
What part of you have proof of your order with an iPad do you not understand?
With the sheet they take it away. You're not allowed to keep it at your table to verify that none of your food orders are missing.
& It is not one more step with the iPad either. If anything, it's helping all around.

BTW, the steak at Mandarin is a lot better than the steak at Spoon and fork, but I do appreciate only having to have 4 of any of the rolls instead of the traditional 6 that most places force you to order.
The Philly roll also could have been better.
Too much rice and the salmon didn't taste all that great. (in the roll)
The salmon sashimi was fine.
The other food choices were generally okay, but I'm still left with the feeling that there are better sushi places out there.
(New Generation sushi @ Bathurst & Bloor to name one)
Hopefully the next newly opened place listed in this thread will be good...
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1407 posts
474 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 11:26 pm
What part of you have proof of your order with an iPad do you not understand?
With the sheet they take it away. You're not allowed to keep it at your table to verify that none of your food orders are missing.
& It is not one more step with the iPad either. If anything, it's helping all around.

BTW, the steak at Mandarin is a lot better than the steak at Spoon and fork, but I do appreciate only having to have 4 of any of the rolls instead of the traditional 6 that most places force you to order.
The Philly roll also could have been better.
Too much rice and the salmon didn't taste all that great. (in the roll)
The salmon sashimi was fine.
The other food choices were generally okay, but I'm still left with the feeling that there are better sushi places out there.
(New Generation sushi @ Bathurst & Bloor to name one)
Hopefully the next newly opened place listed in this thread will be good...
once you get the order sent to the kitchen, you don't see it anymore and it doesn't update as food arrives, it will refresh to a blank page after and show your next round of food you're ordering

I haven't went to mandarin in a while, but spoon and fork's steak definitely isn't the best I've had, I wouldn't be surprised if it was better at mandarin. But its $40 with tax+tip for steak at mandarin vs under $25 with tax and tip for lunch at spoon and fork

it seems like your 'better' sushi places can't even do an order correctly on a sheet of paper, can't be that great....just kidding, I've actually never had an error with my orders except once, oddly un like your scenario they still had the order sheet I completed and saw the error. Actually most of the time the customer makes the wrong order, accidentally marking the wrong box or bad hand writing. So if that is the case the iPad is a better choice

if seeing your order is that important, you could take a picture with your phone
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10825 posts
1430 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 8:42 am
once you get the order sent to the kitchen, you don't see it anymore and it doesn't update as food arrives, it will refresh to a blank page after and show your next round of food you're ordering

I haven't went to mandarin in a while, but spoon and fork's steak definitely isn't the best I've had, I wouldn't be surprised if it was better at mandarin. But its $40 with tax+tip for steak at mandarin vs under $25 with tax and tip for lunch at spoon and fork

it seems like your 'better' sushi places can't even do an order correctly on a sheet of paper, can't be that great....just kidding, I've actually never had an error with my orders except once, oddly un like your scenario they still had the order sheet I completed and saw the error. Actually most of the time the customer makes the wrong order, accidentally marking the wrong box or bad hand writing. So if that is the case the iPad is a better choice
What are you talking about? The view order button lists EVERYTHING you have ordered all along.
Mandarin lunch is only $16.99 plus tax for lunch, and yes, they do have steak at lunch time.
I shouldn't have to take a picture of a sheet menu with my phone, plus also Aji sushi (Spadina & Bloor) is a no sheet place. You just point at the things you want.
Then they say you never ordered half the stuff. Order it again, then they bring you double of something and say "oh sorry...".
So annoying!!
Too many times I've realized after paying that I did not get something, so now I am very loyal to places with the ipad.
It's the best tracking system.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10825 posts
1430 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 8:42 am
toronto19850 wrote:
Aug 6th, 2017 12:46 pm
food was great, tastes more like restaurant quality food than AYCE
the best AYCE I have been to yet
...AND you mention lunch price one place to dinner price at another.
Mandarin lunch price is only $16.99 plus tax and they do have steak at lunch time.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1407 posts
474 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 11:46 am
...AND you mention lunch price one place to dinner price at another.
Mandarin lunch price is only $16.99 plus tax and they do have steak at lunch time.
really? they've never had steak when I've gone at lunch before
Maybe the one where they pre-grill it and cut it up into strips

but not the steaks that are cooked to order

which mandarin is this? I'll probably go at least once this year knowing they have steak
playnicee1 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 11:40 am
What are you talking about? The view order button lists EVERYTHING you have ordered all along.
Mandarin lunch is only $16.99 plus tax for lunch, and yes, they do have steak at lunch time.
I shouldn't have to take a picture of a sheet menu with my phone, plus also Aji sushi (Spadina & Bloor) is a no sheet place. You just point at the things you want.
Then they say you never ordered half the stuff. Order it again, then they bring you double of something and say "oh sorry...".
So annoying!!
Too many times I've realized after paying that I did not get something, so now I am very loyal to places with the ipad.
It's the best tracking system.
mhm it seems to be different at spoon and fork, you see exactly what you ordered that time
interesting, I've never had that happen. That's more of an issue with service than type of ordering system. I can't imagine not getting half your order

How could you realize after paying that you didn't get something, if you forgot what you ordered you might have just never ordered it to begin with. I always remember what I ordered...
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10825 posts
1430 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 9:13 am
really? they've never had steak when I've gone at lunch before
Maybe the one where they pre-grill it and cut it up into strips

but not the steaks that are cooked to order

which mandarin is this? I'll probably go at least once this year knowing they have steak

mhm it seems to be different at spoon and fork, you see exactly what you ordered that time
interesting, I've never had that happen. That's more of an issue with service than type of ordering system. I can't imagine not getting half your order

How could you realize after paying that you didn't get something, if you forgot what you ordered you might have just never ordered it to begin with. I always remember what I ordered...
Oh I ordered it. The name of the game is to hope you didn't notice. That is why the iPad is always better. The paper places want you to forget so they save money not bringing you something. The iPad places can not do that.
The iPad at Spoon and fork is the same as all other iPad places FYI, you're just not using it right.

The steak at Mandarin has always been located next to the sausage, grilled chicken pieces and teriyaki shrimp over to the left, where people won't always notice it. That's their little trick. Never place it next to the roast beef. (or corned beef or whatever they're serving at the time)
That would be too obvious and too many people would both notice and want it. lol
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2008
4937 posts
62 upvotes
York Region
I have a few to add.

I work in Aurora/Newmarket and we go for AYCE sushi all the time. good spots, too

Aurora:
Sushi Huang
Address: 265 Edward St, Aurora, ON L4G 3M7
Hours: Open today · 11AM–11PM
Phone: (905) 727-1133
Menu: www.sushihuang.com

Sushi Kui
Address: 2 Orchard Heights Blvd, Aurora, ON L4G 6M6
Hours: Open today · 11AM–11PM
Phone: (905) 727-8822
www.www.sushikui.com/

Sushi Den
Address: 155 Wellington St E, Aurora, ON L4G 1J5
Hours: Open today · 11:30AM–10:30PM
Phone: (905) 841-3848
www.sushiden.ca

Newmarket:
Sushi Itto Japanese
Address: 16775 Yonge St, Newmarket, ON L3Y 8V2
Phone: (905) 954-1668
Menu: places.singleplatform.com

Taka Sushi
Address: 340 Eagle St W, Newmarket, ON L3Y 7M9
Phone: (905) 836-5000
www.http://takasushi.ca/
York Region is best region!
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1407 posts
474 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 10:33 am
Oh I ordered it. The name of the game is to hope you didn't notice. That is why the iPad is always better. The paper places want you to forget so they save money not bringing you something. The iPad places can not do that.
The iPad at Spoon and fork is the same as all other iPad places FYI, you're just not using it right.

The steak at Mandarin has always been located next to the sausage, grilled chicken pieces and teriyaki shrimp over to the left, where people won't always notice it. That's their little trick. Never place it next to the roast beef. (or corned beef or whatever they're serving at the time)
That would be too obvious and too many people would both notice and want it. lol
well clearly it worked haha
it was different than the one at kaka sushi, although I went to kaka when it first came out. Those are the only 2 iPad AYCE sushi places I've been to

Oh you're talking about the beef strips in the grilled meats. Don't they cook actual steaks at dinner on the grill and give them to you as is (not cut up). I haven't been in a long time, so it very well could have changed. Those beef strips aren't really steak and usually have been sitting out for a while, texture is similar to rubber. The grilled chicken strips are pretty good though

The roast beef (cut and served by a person) at dragon legend is by their grilled meats and my grandpa never notices it. Bummer, I've never gone with him but he always tells me he never saw it. (its by the mashed potatoes, grilled squid, gravy area in dragon legend)