Food & Drink

NEW AYCE Japanese Restaurant List - GTA

Poll: Has his thead been usefull?

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11081 posts
1506 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 11:31 am
well clearly it worked haha
it was different than the one at kaka sushi, although I went to kaka when it first came out. Those are the only 2 iPad AYCE sushi places I've been to

Oh you're talking about the beef strips in the grilled meats. Don't they cook actual steaks at dinner on the grill and give them to you as is (not cut up). I haven't been in a long time, so it very well could have changed. Those beef strips aren't really steak and usually have been sitting out for a while, texture is similar to rubber. The grilled chicken strips are pretty good though

The roast beef (cut and served by a person) at dragon legend is by their grilled meats and my grandpa never notices it. Bummer, I've never gone with him but he always tells me he never saw it. (its by the mashed potatoes, grilled squid, gravy area in dragon legend)
The steak @ Mandarin is very good and sometimes I have to wait 5 minutes (at least) to get any. (it's cooked on site right there!! You even get to watch them cooking it.) strips or not, it's the same steak and not beef strips. Always served next to the chicken and sausage.
Steak is served the same way at both lunch and dinner.

Mandarin doesn't always have roast beef though. I've noticed their lunch to replace the roast beef with corned beef...how good that is is all a matter of opinion. I hate the idea but someone else might love it.

As for the sushi there, I've noticed that on week-ends some locations put their sashimi out in the open while other locations make you ask for it.
Not all Mandarin locations are doing things the same, and management/owners of some locations are refusing to renovate.
Head office wants all locations to look like the Woodbine location but renovations are not happening at various locations, some are even looking run down...such a shame.
Same food price, but run down restaurant. Crazy!
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1407 posts
481 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 3:19 pm
The steak @ Mandarin is very good and sometimes I have to wait 5 minutes (at least) to get any. (it's cooked on site right there!! You even get to watch them cooking it.) strips or not, it's the same steak and not beef strips. Always served next to the chicken and sausage.
Steak is served the same way at both lunch and dinner.

Mandarin doesn't always have roast beef though. I've noticed their lunch to replace the roast beef with corned beef...how good that is is all a matter of opinion. I hate the idea but someone else might love it.

As for the sushi there, I've noticed that on week-ends some locations put their sashimi out in the open while other locations make you ask for it.
Not all Mandarin locations are doing things the same, and management/owners of some locations are refusing to renovate.
Head office wants all locations to look like the Woodbine location but renovations are not happening at various locations, some are even looking run down...such a shame.
Same food price, but run down restaurant. Crazy!
I think every time I've gone the steak was sitting out for a bit, the food taste amazing right off the stove/kitchen. all the buffet food does. I only recently have been to dragon legend in the past couple of years, the chicken (near the grilled squid/mashed potatoes. basically the same kinda station as mandarin's) tastes really good right off the stove/tepenyaki grill. only reason I don't take the whole plate is I don't want to be a dick head

I haven't been there for lunch in over a decade and probably went there for dinner within a decade but more than 5 years back

I can't remember much except the steak strips, sashimi, crab legs, ribs, and sweet and sour chicken balls

Yea, I remember going to one and it was free for all sashimi, I took like 10. It amazes me why dragon legend does that '3' or '2' per person. It's like $40 after tax and tip, as if I'm going to walk my ass back to the table and get more. I literally give the person a death stare and tell them to give me more

I can understand the Peking duck, it comes out only so fast so giving it all out to one person means 1-3 people eat. I can even understand the prime rib being served by the person, although sometimes they give me 2 slices

The sashimi in my opinion is ridiculous especially when you can just order 100 pieces at a sushi restaurant in 1 order
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11081 posts
1506 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 11:24 pm
The sashimi in my opinion is ridiculous especially when you can just order 100 pieces at a sushi restaurant in 1 order
The difference is that Dragon Legend/Pearl/Scarborough Buffet (all same owner) do not have a waste fee, so they have to be very strict.
The AYCE sushi places that treat it like it's no big deal, two or 100 pieces have as much as a $10 waste fee for unfinished food.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1193 posts
223 upvotes
Toronto
I tried Spring Rolls yesterday for dinner (not all you can eat) at Yonge and Dundas. I had the Sashimi and Sushi for 1 and Fried Calamari. Below average sushi and sashimi, even for all you can eat sushi standards. Rice was hard and the red tuna sashimi was bland. Salmon sashimi was the only thing that tasted decent. For the nigiri sushi, fish portion was thin. The eel piece was also extra small. Fried calamari portion was quite small, but at least it was hot and quite tasty.

Will not return.
CPU: Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz GPU: GTX980 2xSLI (MSI Gaming 4G, Asus Strix) RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB DDR4-3000 Case: CM Storm Trooper
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme4 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Dual Fan
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 750W 80+ Bronze Monitor: Dell P2715Q 27.0" UHD
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11081 posts
1506 upvotes
Toronto
LKane1 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 9:54 am
I tried Spring Rolls yesterday for dinner (not all you can eat) at Yonge and Dundas. I had the Sashimi and Sushi for 1 and Fried Calamari. Below average sushi and sashimi, even for all you can eat sushi standards. Rice was hard and the red tuna sashimi was bland. Salmon sashimi was the only thing that tasted decent. For the nigiri sushi, fish portion was thin. The eel piece was also extra small. Fried calamari portion was quite small, but at least it was hot and quite tasty.

Will not return.
The food is only good there in an AYCE format. Plus also, who cares if you return or not. They want AYCE customers.
Last edited by playnicee1 on Aug 29th, 2017 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1196 posts
335 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 12:43 pm
The food is only good there in an AYCE format. Plus also, who cares if you return or not. They want AYCE customers.
Why are you so personally offended by what he said? Get a grip - not everyone loves the restaurants you like.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11081 posts
1506 upvotes
Toronto
badOne wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 12:45 pm
Why are you so personally offended by what he said? Get a grip - not everyone loves the restaurants you like.
The comments made are insulting the restaurant as a whole, not respecting what the restaurant is actually good for.
Stick with the AYCE menu and the food is a lot better than that.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1193 posts
223 upvotes
Toronto
badOne wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 12:45 pm

playnicee1 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 12:43 pm
The food is only good there in an AYCE format. Plus also, who cares if you
return or not. They want AYCE customers, not the cheap bums.
playnicee1 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 12:46 pm
The comments made are insulting the restaurant as a whole, not respecting what the restaurant is actually good for.
Stick with the AYCE menu and the food is a lot better than that.
That guy is the biggest troll in the food forum here. He defends bad restaurants he likes like he's personally insulted. Same thing in the hot pot thread. He will not believe anything bad about restaurants that he likes. Go read that thread and you will see.

And I'm not insulting the restaurant. That was how the food were. If the restaurant feels insulted by serving bad food, then it should feel insulted, and that's not my problem.
CPU: Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz GPU: GTX980 2xSLI (MSI Gaming 4G, Asus Strix) RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB DDR4-3000 Case: CM Storm Trooper
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme4 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Dual Fan
Temp. Banned
Aug 28, 2017
2 posts
9 upvotes
Kiku is the best. especially noon deals. if you pay cash, 10% Off
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11081 posts
1506 upvotes
Toronto
LKane1 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 4:35 pm
That guy is the biggest troll in the food forum here. He defends bad restaurants he likes like he's personally insulted. Same thing in the hot pot thread. He will not believe anything bad about restaurants that he likes. Go read that thread and you will see.

And I'm not insulting the restaurant. That was how the food were. If the restaurant feels insulted by serving bad food, then it should feel insulted, and that's not my problem.
I am not a troll. Spring Rolls is best known for their AYCE options, and simply not recommended as any other format. That hardly makes me a troll.
You are insulting the restaurant by judging it as a whole based on a few menu items selected against the better quality found in their AYCE format.
Now go back there and enjoy the AYCE format. Until then, your opinion is dead to me.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1193 posts
223 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 6:37 pm
Now go back there and enjoy the AYCE format. Until then, your opinion is dead to me.
Your opinion is also dead to me. I have no need to enjoy their ayce format when the sushi I had was already garbage. I don't need to pay for more unlimited garbage.

And I'm specifically referring it as "garbage" like this thread https://forums.redflagdeals.com/spring- ... i-2082768/ where you offer no reason why it's not garbage other than that it's "not garbage" or that it "is good".
Apparently everyone there thinks the restaurant's food is bad except you, and you will not believe otherwise.

But there's nothing wrong with that. Bad food to everyone else in that thread is good food to you. That just shows what tastes you have. And whereas I was describing my food experience and you jump straight personal insults ("cheap bums"), that shows what kind of class you have (and your attempt to edit your post doesn't hide that fact). I have no need to convince you or anyone that it's good or bad. And I don't want to. I was just offering my opinion on what the food was like. Again, if you feel offended, that is not my problem.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1196 posts
335 upvotes
This is the first time where I've heard someone say AYCE quality is better than non-AYCE, and you should only judge a restaurant based on AYCE food served to you.

HUH???
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1193 posts
223 upvotes
Toronto
badOne wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 11:05 pm
This is the first time where I've heard someone say AYCE quality is better than non-AYCE, and you should only judge a restaurant based on AYCE food served to you.

HUH???
Don't you know the restaurant has two different stock? Since I ordered a la carte, obviously the restaurant gave me the bland tuna sashimi and the harder sushi rice. If someone else were to order sushi from the AYCE menu, then the waiter will wink at the chef, at which point the chef would think "oh this guy is ordering from our AYCE menu. Okay, I will give him the good food."
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11081 posts
1506 upvotes
Toronto
LKane1 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 11:34 pm
Don't you know the restaurant has two different stock? Since I ordered a la carte, obviously the restaurant gave me the bland tuna sashimi and the harder sushi rice. If someone else were to order sushi from the AYCE menu, then the waiter will wink at the chef, at which point the chef would think "oh this guy is ordering from our AYCE menu. Okay, I will give him the good food."
I can't really explain to you why the AYCE food is better at Spring Rolls, it just is. The steak was excellent. Soup is never watered down, rice is not as you make it out to be, and so on.
May 7, 2008
439 posts
127 upvotes
Toronto
Huh? Besides the fact that I don't even consider Spring Rolls an actual restaurant, but rather some pan-Asian cafeteria in a horror movie, I wasn't even aware that they did AYCE. My colleagues at work sometimes order takeout from there (much to my dismay), and I find most of the food inedible. And actually a lot of folks in the financial district order take-out and delivery to the office, so they are experiencing Spring Rolls in other formats and let me tell you given how often I see the remnants of their takeout packaging in my office, they are quite popular in this take-out a la carte format, the purveyors of which would recommend it vs. AYCE.

I'm not sure how you arrive at the statement that the restaurant has been "insulted" by someone who genuinely seemed to not enjoy the food there, and said so straight up. A restaurant should be judged by what's put on the table regardless of whether it is off their a la carte or AYCE or another menu. In fact I found LKane's post much more insightful than yours. LKane mentioned what he ate and what was not good about it, whereas you just said that AYCE is just better - which generally is counterintuitive to most people's experiences when going AYCE vs. a la carte. Actually your post was virtually useless until you mentioned in later post what was good about the AYCE.

BTW - check yourself man - you do troll a lot - there are a number of folks on this forum who think you do. Having an opinion everyone is entitled to, but you get really personal when people disagree with your opinions. And let me tell ya - you really have different opinions from a lot of people in the Food & Drink forum, and that's ok. But you really ask yourself, when there are constant people disagreeing with you - is it something wrong with them or you?
playnicee1 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 6:37 pm
I am not a troll. Spring Rolls is best known for their AYCE options, and simply not recommended as any other format. That hardly makes me a troll.
You are insulting the restaurant by judging it as a whole based on a few menu items selected against the better quality found in their AYCE format.