Automotive

New BMW X1 receives score of 0 in IIHS tests, Honda, Toyota, Subaru and Volvo lead

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 26th, 2019 7:22 am
[OP]
Feb 15, 2019
42 posts
45 upvotes

New BMW X1 receives score of 0 in IIHS tests, Honda, Toyota, Subaru and Volvo lead

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2646 ... destrians/

With the poor crash test ratings and now this,BMW really needs to get their act together. I've been a BMW guy for close to two decades now but once my current lease is up,that's it. More Boring cars but somehow less safe ? Usually boring at least results in better safety
The IIHS tested 11 models from the 2018 and 2019 model years. Only four completely stopped and did not crash into the pedestrian dummies—which, amazingly, feature realistic moving legs—in each of three tests. The Honda CR-V, Subaru Forester, Toyota RAV4, and Volvo XC40 all scored the top Superior rating. Earning the mid-grade Advanced rating were the Chevrolet Equinox, Hyundai Kona, Kia Sportage, Mazda CX-5, and Nissan Rogue. The Mitsubishi Outlander scored the lowest Basic rating, while the BMW X1 plowed through the dummies so hard that the IIHS gave it a zero.
23 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11503 posts
11004 upvotes
Oakville
BMW is doing just great. It's driving just like a BMW driver. No time to slow down for dumb poor people running across the street.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
8557 posts
6134 upvotes
Markham
To be fair, the X1 is just a rebadged Mini. There's nothing BMW about it.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2392 posts
2444 upvotes
GTA
Misleading thread title.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2320 posts
802 upvotes
Calgary
My 2017 Toyota would also score a 0 since it would plow right through the dummies too as it has none of the auto stop features.

I did enjoy the video in the link.
Mar 27, 2012
293 posts
122 upvotes
I'm buying a BMW to drive, not to crash. Modern cars these days are structurally more or less very sound, the rest of the active collision mitigation features are just "nice to haves."
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
5970 posts
4063 upvotes
Richmond Hill
X1 drivers probably wouldn't splurge on the safety package anyway
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
8557 posts
6134 upvotes
Markham
misc049 wrote:
Feb 25th, 2019 10:43 am
I'm buying a BMW to drive, not to crash. Modern cars these days are structurally more or less very sound, the rest of the active collision mitigation features are just "nice to haves."
That's not going to be what you're thinking when you're plowing into a snowbank covering a rock facade in your "Ultimate Driving Machine" with no safety features.

Also there is nothing "ultimate driving" about an X1. It's a little kitten with a sign that says "LION - BEWARE."
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
12301 posts
8439 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Holy click bait!!!
Mar 27, 2012
293 posts
122 upvotes
If i was plowing into a snowbank, how is the collision mitigation system going to help me? I'm assuming i'd be plowing into a snowbank due to excessive speed or poor road conditions. The mitigation system would just reduce the impact speed anyway... And no one's arguing that the X1 is a testament of the Ultimate Driving Machine.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11503 posts
11004 upvotes
Oakville
Anikiri wrote:
Feb 25th, 2019 11:34 am
That's not going to be what you're thinking when you're plowing into a snowbank covering a rock facade in your "Ultimate Driving Machine" with no safety features.

Also there is nothing "ultimate driving" about an X1. It's a little kitten with a sign that says "LION - BEWARE."
I believe the test was only in regards to pedestrian safety, so since everyone is a selfish driver who just wants the biggest, heavies SUV because it's "safer", we'll just keep up the mutually assured destruction of buying bigger and bigger, and damn the peds or anyone in smaller cars.

International CXT if you care about your family.

Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
12301 posts
8439 upvotes
Richmond Hill
engineered wrote:
Feb 25th, 2019 11:59 am
I believe the test was only in regards to pedestrian safety, so since everyone is a selfish driver who just wants the biggest, heavies SUV because it's "safer", we'll just keep up the mutually assured destruction of buying bigger and bigger, and damn the peds or anyone in smaller cars.

International CXT if you care about your family.

See now that's a SUV that makes sense. Not all the mainstream garbage being sold.

They should have renamed the Canadian International Auto Show to Canadian International SUV show.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2392 posts
2444 upvotes
GTA
2 years in a row now I have walked right past the Mitsubishi display. There is nothing of interest there.
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
12301 posts
8439 upvotes
Richmond Hill
derass wrote:
Feb 25th, 2019 1:46 pm
2 years in a row now I have walked right past the Mitsubishi display. There is nothing of interest there.
But even the new eclipse?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10416 posts
4590 upvotes
Brampton
EP32k2 wrote:
Feb 25th, 2019 2:49 pm
But even the new eclipse?
Is there really a new Eclipse? Or are you talking about Eclipse Cross?

Seriously Mitsubishi hasn't been relevant to since the Lancer X launched and I was a much different person then.