New camera - need advice

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2017 8:45 pm
[OP]
Oct 5, 2016
19 posts

New camera - need advice

Hey all,
I'm in the market for a new camera, wanting to upgrade from a 10-year-old digital that I got as a present.
I've been talking to quite a few dealers and most of them told me to go for the Canon EOS 80D. I've been researching a bit online and it seems to have many great reviews. My question is, however, have any of you been using it/know somebody who owns one or alike?

I wish to gain as much knowledge as I can before purchasing something that expensive!
Thank you for all your inputs.
-!- Now looking at the Sony A6000 based on feedback from the forum -!-
-!- Also looking at the bridge system, however I tend to lean more towards mirrorless! -!-
Last edited by Jones10 on Jul 26th, 2017 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
38 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6636 posts
926 upvotes
Would help to hear some background before RFDers comment, such as which old camera you had, what is your experience level, what you are planning to use the camera for, type of photography and if you are planning to advance in photography or just remain as a hobbyist, etc...

Also, if you are planning to stick to Canon's lens system, which typically for DSLR, is what you pick first before model due to the high prices of lens.

I agree however, looking at the price of the 80D, just seems very expensive for the spec. You really should make sure that is what you want before and keep in mind, a lot of DSLR users are switching to Mirrorless too so, are you even looking in the right class.

Narrow that yourself or help us do before we talk about model.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
May 11, 2008
348 posts
92 upvotes
Vancouver
I'd like to add to hdom's comments, what camera do you have right now and do you have any good glass with that camera.
[OP]
Oct 5, 2016
19 posts
As said, I've been using a 10+/- years-old camera. It's an old Olympus C-2020zoom. I've been taking quite a few photography classes at my university. I plan on using the camera for both landscape pictures and some videos (hopefully I will advance into photography!)
- Additionally, I dont have any lenses for my C-2020zoom.
Aug 1, 2010
729 posts
295 upvotes
Montreal
If I were you, I would look into mirrorless systems. You won't lose anything in terms or image quality but you'd have a much smaller/lighter package.

That said, I highly recommend the Fujifilm X-T20, you have 4K video that you do not have on the 80D in a cheaper/lighter/smaller body. Pair that with the critically acclaimed 18-55 kit lens and you have a winner!
Portrait and Wedding Photographer - Instagram
Feb 1, 2015
603 posts
131 upvotes
MB
If you wish to advance to photography, then your best choices are DSLR cameras (mirrorless, APS-C or full frame).
However, there is a big price difference between each product family, and between each model. Set a budget.

A DSLR is composed of 2 distinct parts:
a. the body
b. the lens

If you invest into an APS-C type sensor body such as the Canon EOS 80D ($1 200+), then you may probably end up buying one or multiple lenses, and a lens can be more expensive than a body.
Taking landscape pictures, you could go for a wide or ultra wide angle lens. Those lenses are priced between $400 to $2500+ alone.

On the other hand, would a tilt-swivel screen be an important feature?
This could come handy when taking videos. If yes, then it would narrow down the list of cameras, but could increase the price.

Are you planning to make huge prints ? (e.g. mounting the photos on the wall)
If not, then a 24 megapixels resolution wouldn't be necessary. A 16 megapixels resolution would certainly be enough and you could save some big $$$.

For entry/enthusiast-level users and if you don't really care about AF features, you could find decent options for less than $700-$800 (body + kit lens 18-55mm). It could come cheaper if bought 2nd hand.
The Nikon D5xxx series could be a potential alternative (D5100 or above). I personally own a used D5300 bought on Kijiji for $525 (500 shutter count at that time).
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4193 posts
366 upvotes
Markham
I think Canon is better in terms you can get used lens for cheap compared to Nikon
Aug 1, 2010
729 posts
295 upvotes
Montreal
smartie wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 2:14 pm
I think Canon is better in terms you can get used lens for cheap compared to Nikon
Yes Canon is currently the easiest to buy/sell on the used market.
Portrait and Wedding Photographer - Instagram
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6636 posts
926 upvotes
After that info, the 80D suggestion makes sense and if you could afford it, that is a good camera for the class. However, like others had said, that is just the price of the body and a kit lens, if you need to build a lens system, it is going to add up.

It will be a bit less painful but more portable, with the same level of control and learning curve to go with a higher end mirrorless.

Unfortunately, the pro-sumer class is full of a lot of great choices - https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/2017-r ... s-900-1200
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9670 posts
3985 upvotes
Southern Ontario
The reason stores are pointing you to the 80D is because it has great dynamic range for landscapes, a nice jump over the previous 70D, and Canon DPAF rules for lowlight video. Maintaining subject focus or manual focus pulling is a learned art, and DPAF does that automatically very well for the novice videographer.

Looking on kijiji, the 10-18STM landscape lens can be had for $300. Yes, Canon gear is the easiest to buy/sell used, the name is synonymous with photography and the user base is high.

The 80D is also weather sealed and Canon has a history of durability/reliability, good for someone who buys bodies to last. As suggested, the main drawback is it's a DSLR so the whole is system is bigger/heavier than the same sized sensor APS-C mirrorless offerings.
[OP]
Oct 5, 2016
19 posts
Thank you for all your comments and suggestions/advice! So most of you are suggesting a mirrorless camera, due to it being more compact and easier to handle. If you were in my shoes, what mirrorless camera would you go for and why? (remember I don't have any lenses etc). Additionally, if you had to pick a mirrorless camera with 4k video recording, which would you go for?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9670 posts
3985 upvotes
Southern Ontario
What's your budget? Mirrorless lenses cost more than DSLR lenses, the gap widens in the used market. You might want to price out native and 3rd party wide angle landscape lenses for mirrorless. If you want to do video, I would also consider budgeting for a video tripod, gimbal or steadicam if you really get into it. Rock solid stabilization and movement really makes a difference. This is a friend's wedding, what makes it particularly look good is the fluid movement and in some scenes, that very slight slow motion. It's actually shot by a bunch of workers paid by the hour and it's not unreasonable for anyone to do this. Editing software, some of them free, is really easy to use these days.

To partly answer your question, the X-T20 intrigues me but I'll be honest that I shoot professionally with Canon and have DPAF in my cameras. I'd look for something this easy in mirrorless as a hobbyist:

Dec 1, 2006
650 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Whats your budget for a new camera?
CROWN STUDIOS | Cinematography & Photography
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
10879 posts
1627 upvotes
Toronto
smartie wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 2:14 pm
Lots of great deals on Canon EF and Nikon F on the used market.

Other systems have much lower volume of buying and selling and the deals aren't nearly as good. This is why I stay with Canon / Nikon.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
10879 posts
1627 upvotes
Toronto
Jones10 wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 3:44 am
Thank you for all your comments and suggestions/advice! So most of you are suggesting a mirrorless camera, due to it being more compact and easier to handle. If you were in my shoes, what mirrorless camera would you go for and why? (remember I don't have any lenses etc). Additionally, if you had to pick a mirrorless camera with 4k video recording, which would you go for?
A6000 with 16-50 kit lens. Not sure if it does 4K video but no one needs that anyways. Additionally, if you shoot a lot of video, you will run into storage problems with the huge size of 4K. 1080p is enough for most uses.