• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2017 4:40 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7448 posts
537 upvotes

New Camera - P&S for Under $600?

Looking to finally get a P&S camera since we have only been using iphone and Pixel for the last few years and before that, older phones.

We used the Pixel 1 during our last trip and the pictures came out great, but in poor lighting conditions, the pictures were still crap.

We are heading to Antarctica and would like to invest in something that is easy to use, P&S and can capture the details, some zoom but also darker lighting as that seems to be a bigger issue with the phone cameras. Zoom is nice to have but I don't think I need something crazy.

My first instinct was to consider just the Sony RX100 even though it's quite old in model now.

Anything else I should check out?
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6815 posts
997 upvotes
If you want compact p&s, the choices are limited to RX100 Mk1/2/3/4/5 and the Canon G5x/G7x/G9x which uses the same Sony sensor.

Few threads recently on the topic so I am not going to repeat but you can't go wrong any of the above.

I would however avoid the M3, is cheap and looks good on specs but get poor reviews. If you are willing to go to Mirrorless (which would be my recommendation too since P&S is too close to the phone, IMHO) there are much better options out there. Once again, numerous recent threads on Mirrorless.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7448 posts
537 upvotes
Thanks guys. I read a bit on mirrorless but in reality, we are looking for something really easy to use, less adjustments and attachments etc. I'll read up on mirrorless more.
May 5, 2010
847 posts
233 upvotes
What kind of low light situation you have in mind?

If it's in a dim lit restaurant or bar, you'll be disappointed with a point & shoot unless it's like an Sony RX1RII.

A point & shoot like the RX100 or G7X will gather way more light than a flagship smartphone and will produce a picture 300-400% more clean, but the reality is, it is 300-400% better than something unusable. So you might end up with something just barely usable. But with a bit more light, the RX100 and Canon G7X are great! I have the Sony QX100 which has the same sensor as the RX100 mk II and I was able to get decent result at ISO 1600-3200.
Btw, my comparaison of 1 inch sensor P&S VS smartphone is about the ISO quality. Image will be way sharper thanks to the way better lens on the RX100 or G7X than any smartphones' camera.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10728 posts
1739 upvotes
Ottawa
Also consider the Fuji A3 or the Sony A6000 which are slightly over $600.

They have DSLR sensors. The cameras aren't any harder to use than a RX100.

But if you're set on a point and shoot, then any of the RX100 will give you about the same picture quality
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
3121 posts
501 upvotes
Vancouver
Antarctica!! Landscapes and wildlife.

A long zoom might be useful. Panasonic has a small sensor P&S with a constant f2.8 lens (f2.8 = big shutter hole to let in more light), the FZ300.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/p ... fz300A.HTM

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/2017-r ... ompacts/10

The only other camera I can think of that is a bridge type with a larger sensor that "I" would consider bringing to Antarctica is the Sony RX10 IV but it is way out of your budget. I think I read not too long ago of someone bringing one to Antarctica. You might be able to find that article. Got to run!

The Panasonic FZ1000 is an older camera similar the RX10 in concept and yu can find it for under $1000.

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7448 posts
537 upvotes
Thank you. When it comes to low lighting, it can be in all situations. I guess I am not looking for professional or perfect photos in low light situations but I want something certainly better than a smartphone.

I think zoom is great but I don't think I would want something with A LOT of zoom since I assume you need a pretty steady hand.

And yeah P&S is ideal. I do want to spend time in the moment. I love taking photos but I don't need everything to be perfect in setting, lighting etc etc. Just want to make sure I can capture better detail, higher resolution quality photos so if I do ever decide to print them or put them in a photo album (printed) they will look better in quality/resolution than the smart phones.

My previous pictures were all on smart phones and the photo albums don't look great in quality. I have yet to order my latest trip taken with the Google Pixel so I don't know how that quality will turn out either.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10728 posts
1739 upvotes
Ottawa
it looks like the RX100 and other similar cameras are basically your only bet if you truly want a pocketable camera. Leave it in "superior auto" or "intelligent auto" mode and hope for the best.

Everything is relative though, a Fuji A3 even with the included lens is more sensitive to low light, has more pixels. I'd argue that it's also easier to use than the RX100. The A6000 is also a nice camera with more resolution and is basically the same as the RX100 in terms of menus and operation (read: not any more difficult to use)

Try to get the RX100 Mk2 at least because it has a slightly improved sensor, and wifi for easier transfer of photos.

The sensor in the RX100 is large for a pocketable camera but it's not THAT large that you won't run into graininess in lower light situations. I suspect that you are going to find that you might be disappointed that the RX images may still look grainy or mottled when you look at them in detail (cropped and enlarged). That's why we are all suggested a slightly bigger camera that has a much larger sensor.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7448 posts
537 upvotes
warpdrive wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 9:18 am
it looks like the RX100 and other similar cameras are basically your only bet if you truly want a pocketable camera. Leave it in "superior auto" or "intelligent auto" mode and hope for the best.

Everything is relative though, a Fuji A3 even with the included lens is more sensitive to low light, has more pixels. I'd argue that it's also easier to use than the RX100. The A6000 is also a nice camera with more resolution and is basically the same as the RX100 in terms of menus and operation (read: not any more difficult to use)

Try to get the RX100 Mk2 at least because it has a slightly improved sensor, and wifi for easier transfer of photos.

The sensor in the RX100 is large for a pocketable camera but it's not THAT large that you won't run into graininess in lower light situations. I suspect that you are going to find that you might be disappointed that the RX images may still look grainy or mottled when you look at them in detail (cropped and enlarged). That's why we are all suggested a slightly bigger camera that has a much larger sensor.
Thank you. I don't need a super small camera, it does not have to be pocket-size. Just nothing huge and heavy. I'll look into the other ones you suggested as well.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10728 posts
1739 upvotes
Ottawa
speedyforme wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 10:14 am
Thank you. I don't need a super small camera, it does not have to be pocket-size. Just nothing huge and heavy. I'll look into the other ones you suggested as well.
this would be a meaningful comparison. it also shows the image noise which you can take a look at http://1000wordpics.blogspot.ca/2015/09 ... a6000.html

Sony A6000 vs RX100M3 - 001.jpg
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
3121 posts
501 upvotes
Vancouver
OP: You might find the galleries in this post of interest. It appears that most of these were taken with the RX10 Mark3 (RX10 III, RX10M3) and would be very similar to what the RX10M4 would provide.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60058922

There is another discussion in this forum re concern over moisture issues with the M4 version of the RX10. I'd expect that a P&S would be more susceptible to moisture issues than the RX10M4 so regardless of camera you get, plan for this. Several extra batteries, extra memory cards, etc. I'd prefer to use several smaller memory cards as versus one very large memory card just in case the card corrupts for what ever reason. It doesn't happen often but it does happen.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60283896

Between the cold and the rain the last thing you want to happen is to have your camera fail while there.

I'd also try to get the camera well in advance of your trip and then take it out and spend several hours shooting in various modes to find what works for you. Personally, I've found it takes me about 6 months of fairly regular usage to really understand what works and what doesn't with a camera.

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7448 posts
537 upvotes
NewsyL wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 12:57 pm
OP: You might find the galleries in this post of interest. It appears that most of these were taken with the RX10 Mark3 (RX10 III, RX10M3) and would be very similar to what the RX10M4 would provide.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60058922

There is another discussion in this forum re concern over moisture issues with the M4 version of the RX10. I'd expect that a P&S would be more susceptible to moisture issues than the RX10M4 so regardless of camera you get, plan for this. Several extra batteries, extra memory cards, etc. I'd prefer to use several smaller memory cards as versus one very large memory card just in case the card corrupts for what ever reason. It doesn't happen often but it does happen.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60283896

Between the cold and the rain the last thing you want to happen is to have your camera fail while there.

I'd also try to get the camera well in advance of your trip and then take it out and spend several hours shooting in various modes to find what works for you. Personally, I've found it takes me about 6 months of fairly regular usage to really understand what works and what doesn't with a camera.

NewsyL wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 1:10 pm
Shooting with gloves on....
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60278056

FZ1000 vs RX10M3 & Antarctic info
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60063632

Antarctic Tips
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60178962

Thank you so much for the reading material. Will investigate.