Art and Photography

New camera vs keeping old one (Canon Rebel XTi)?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2018 9:38 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2001
5982 posts
31 upvotes
Ottawa

New camera vs keeping old one (Canon Rebel XTi)?

Hey guys, I have an older Canon Rebel XTi. I have two lenses:
55-250mm kit lens
50mm 1.8 lens

Also have my iPhone 6s which is my go to for everything as well.

I've got a couple of active kids in sports (basketball, soccer and baseball)...i find what I have perfect for baseball, but basketball and I can't capture without blur, and don't want to bring a flash with me to interupt games. I also would like to have video capture on the DSLR too, a feature that I don't have now.

I'm headed overseas on a 15 day trip soon and am thinking it's time to buy a new camera.

Questions:
1) Is it time for a new DSLR?
2) If so, what would you recommend?
3) Is there a good entry level digital camera for my 11 year old for the trip to shoot for sightseeing, or should i just let him mess with my "old" DSLR if I get a new one? He's messing around with an old Olympus Tough point and shoot.

Thanks!
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7011 posts
1109 upvotes
Probably need better sport lens for basketball but the Xti is pretty old so may be worth replacing with a new body as well. However, suggest you rent a newer body to try first, otherwise new lens may be in order.

Also made a thread on purchase guide just before Xmas so may help in your selection too.
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/please- ... s-2150784/
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1244 posts
210 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
I had the XSi and upgraded to a T2i. It was a noticeably better upgrade in both IQ and focusing. Next I went to the 70D, and focusing for moving subjects was noticeable improved.
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
11211 posts
1260 upvotes
London
I would definitely go with the upgrade. Just the features you have on today's even entry level bodies are worth the upgrade.

I upgraded from an xt to xti back in the day... It I'd the only upgrade that I didn't feel was worth my money. Went from the xti to the T2i and then to a 70d. Would have spent twice what I did for the 70d and still been happy