Art and Photography

New camera vs keeping old one (Canon Rebel XTi)?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 29th, 2018 4:10 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2001
5993 posts
39 upvotes
Ottawa

New camera vs keeping old one (Canon Rebel XTi)?

Hey guys, I have an older Canon Rebel XTi. I have two lenses:
55-250mm kit lens
50mm 1.8 lens

Also have my iPhone 6s which is my go to for everything as well.

I've got a couple of active kids in sports (basketball, soccer and baseball)...i find what I have perfect for baseball, but basketball and I can't capture without blur, and don't want to bring a flash with me to interupt games. I also would like to have video capture on the DSLR too, a feature that I don't have now.

I'm headed overseas on a 15 day trip soon and am thinking it's time to buy a new camera.

Questions:
1) Is it time for a new DSLR?
2) If so, what would you recommend?
3) Is there a good entry level digital camera for my 11 year old for the trip to shoot for sightseeing, or should i just let him mess with my "old" DSLR if I get a new one? He's messing around with an old Olympus Tough point and shoot.

Thanks!
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7269 posts
1228 upvotes
Probably need better sport lens for basketball but the Xti is pretty old so may be worth replacing with a new body as well. However, suggest you rent a newer body to try first, otherwise new lens may be in order.

Also made a thread on purchase guide just before Xmas so may help in your selection too.
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/please- ... s-2150784/
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1279 posts
216 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
I had the XSi and upgraded to a T2i. It was a noticeably better upgrade in both IQ and focusing. Next I went to the 70D, and focusing for moving subjects was noticeable improved.
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
11607 posts
1673 upvotes
London
I would definitely go with the upgrade. Just the features you have on today's even entry level bodies are worth the upgrade.

I upgraded from an xt to xti back in the day... It I'd the only upgrade that I didn't feel was worth my money. Went from the xti to the T2i and then to a 70d. Would have spent twice what I did for the 70d and still been happy
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
11745 posts
2387 upvotes
Toronto
Upgrade to at least a T3i. You should be able to easily get the T3i and 18-55 IS kit lens for under $200 on Kijiji. Keep your lenses.

Sell your XTi body for $60-$80 or keep it as a backup. Nice cheap upgrade.

Most 11 year olds will want to use a cell phone camera, but if he really wants to try a big camera then let him use your XTi.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
1572 posts
228 upvotes
Calgary
If you want to capture without blur you are going to have to get your shutter speed up and maybe your ISO. Your 50mm lense is fast enough but not great for getting in on the action.

If you want to shoot video I would recommend a camera with dual pixel autofocus. Anything less and you will be very frustrated with out of focus video unless you are very good at manual focus.
You can keep your Canon glass and maybe buy the T7i body which just dropped to under $800. Otherwisee use your phone or buy an old video camera on Kijiji. You didn't mention anythinng about budget so just a couple of ideas to consider.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2152 posts
279 upvotes
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Mar 6th, 2018 9:08 am
Upgrade to at least a T3i. You should be able to easily get the T3i and 18-55 IS kit lens for under $200 on Kijiji. Keep your lenses.

Sell your XTi body for $60-$80 or keep it as a backup. Nice cheap upgrade.

Most 11 year olds will want to use a cell phone camera, but if he really wants to try a big camera then let him use your XTi.
I should sell my t3i + 18-55 + 55-250 if they go for that much on kijiji :o
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
11745 posts
2387 upvotes
Toronto
BigJonsson wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 1:41 am
I should sell my t3i + 18-55 + 55-250 if they go for that much on kijiji :o
You should be able to get $250 to $300 for that setup but patience is required. This is a bad time of year to be selling camera gear, wait until spring. It's a good time to be buying gear.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4794 posts
253 upvotes
I think before anyone can really answer. What is your budget? If any
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
1694 posts
192 upvotes
Vancouver
skanji wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 10:21 pm
Hey guys, I have an older Canon Rebel XTi. I have two lenses:
55-250mm kit lens
50mm 1.8 lens

Also have my iPhone 6s which is my go to for everything as well.

I've got a couple of active kids in sports (basketball, soccer and baseball)...i find what I have perfect for baseball, but basketball and I can't capture without blur, and don't want to bring a flash with me to interupt games. I also would like to have video capture on the DSLR too, a feature that I don't have now.

I'm headed overseas on a 15 day trip soon and am thinking it's time to buy a new camera.

Questions:
1) Is it time for a new DSLR?
2) If so, what would you recommend?
3) Is there a good entry level digital camera for my 11 year old for the trip to shoot for sightseeing, or should i just let him mess with my "old" DSLR if I get a new one? He's messing around with an old Olympus Tough point and shoot.

Thanks!
Hi,

If your son is okay with the larger Rebel XTi camera body, would let him have it & get yourself a newer Canon camera body for yourself. Would pass on the "kit" lens & get the lenses you want from the get go. Since you have a real need to record videos, I would get a camcorder instead of making do with a digital camera. A video camera would be more compact, have more zoom capacity & be better in low light than a similar setup with a digital camera & prime lens. Check out the cameras under the heading - Low Light Performance. The Canon HF R800 would be a cheap video camera to get to try out.
https://www.smartreview.com/digital-cam ... ying-guide