New to Canada, need help with job hunt

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2019 2:36 pm
[OP]
Jan 12, 2019
8 posts
1 upvote

New to Canada, need help with job hunt

Hi everyone, I'm new to Canada. I come from Asia and English is not my 1st language. But I got my master degree (electrical) in the UK, therefore my language shall not be a big problem (i hope).
Since I had worked for multinational companies (top 50. electrical power industry) as a technical sales in my country for 7 years, i thought it won't be a big problem to find a job. But i am frustrated after 6 months later (arrived Ontario 2018.7). I do not expect to have a very good job here as in my own country, i apply jobs such as inside sales, outside technical sales, field service technicians and project coordinators. More than 300 applications from Indeed but I received less than 10 in person interviews with no offers. Also 5 or 6 telephone interviews with no further steps.
Recall that in the interview, no technical or complex questions were asked, but only simple questions like, are you eligible to work in Canada, what was your job before, explain your role and responsibility, etc. Honestly, I can definitely take those new jobs compared to what I have done before, but no employers select me.
The situation really hurts me, but life still continues. As a new comer, I am technically impossible to obtain the licensed electrician 442/309 etc. I am now preparing the OACETT CET, hopefully this would help.
Why it is so difficult to have a job. I hope someone could help and point out my problems. Thank you.
19 replies
Sep 11, 2017
69 posts
27 upvotes
Here are my suggestions

1. Tailor your resume for each job you apply. Sales, service, project coordinator are different roles you should have tailored resume for each.
2. Add recruiters to your LinkedIn. There are good number of recruiters that specialize with placing new comers. They can help provide feedback on resume and your interview style as well.
3. If you’re not getting past the telephone interview you should try to determine what’s the barrier. If you have any friends that you can do a mock interview with they can provide you feedback.
4. Network. Applying online is fine but look for opportunities to network and build your network.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1444 posts
768 upvotes
ZhongdeW30992 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 8:11 pm
Why it is so difficult to have a job. I hope someone could help and point out my problems. Thank you.
https://www.ospe.on.ca/public/documents ... market.pdf

The chart on Page 8 may very well be useful in answering that question.

Even Canadian-born and educated engineers have enormous difficulties in the job market. Its largely a matter of numbers, nothing to do with your skill or personal characteristics.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
1979 posts
555 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I guess it's all about luck if you are a new comer. If there are other applicants that meet the requirements and not new comer then they might prioritize those over a new comer.
[OP]
Jan 12, 2019
8 posts
1 upvote
FedExpress wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 10:51 pm
Here are my suggestions

1. Tailor your resume for each job you apply. Sales, service, project coordinator are different roles you should have tailored resume for each.
2. Add recruiters to your LinkedIn. There are good number of recruiters that specialize with placing new comers. They can help provide feedback on resume and your interview style as well.
3. If you’re not getting past the telephone interview you should try to determine what’s the barrier. If you have any friends that you can do a mock interview with they can provide you feedback.
4. Network. Applying online is fine but look for opportunities to network and build your network.
Thanks. I appreciate your efforts. I will revise my resume according to different positions. I tried to add someone via LinkedIn, however, they don't reply even they accept my invitation. I am wondering if this is what normally people do here?
Jun 18, 2018
119 posts
46 upvotes
A lot of companies discount international experience and some people are bias if you have an accent and such
[OP]
Jan 12, 2019
8 posts
1 upvote
boldventure wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 1:08 pm
I guess it's all about luck if you are a new comer. If there are other applicants that meet the requirements and not new comer then they might prioritize those over a new comer.
It could be, but it is not possible to prevent this situation.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5076 posts
565 upvotes
Toronto
Electrah wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 3:40 pm
A lot of companies discount international experience and some people are bias if you have an accent and such
you mean different accent?

coz everyone have an accent.
[OP]
Jan 12, 2019
8 posts
1 upvote
Electrah wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 3:40 pm
I just didn't expect the job market would be that cruel, as I am not applying a job everyone can do, but a relative technical one.
[OP]
Jan 12, 2019
8 posts
1 upvote
test9251 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 3:44 pm

the accent sounds outside Canada. i guess.
Jun 18, 2018
119 posts
46 upvotes
test9251 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 3:44 pm

Thick accent where it's hard to understand..
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1612 posts
345 upvotes
So sorry to hear that you're having a rough time. Hang in there!

I'm not familiar with jobs related to electricians, but with some jobs that are a bit more niche, some resumes can be over-detailed. Also imagine for that for bigger companies, the person screening your resume or conducting the phone interview may be an HR person, therefore if you go into too much details, it's not useful to them. If your resume is a wall of text describing your tasks, it's not useful to them and gets overlooked. Focus on main points. This is especially important if you're applying to a job outside of your area of expertise. For instance, no need to go into technical details if you are applying to a sales job.

Online applications are great, but keep in mind that the resumes are first screened by a computer (most likely). Therefore, using key words matter. Each position have different requirements, matching those key words will enable the system to forward your resume through. This is more tedious because you need to tweak each resume but you may find better success.

I also feel that sites like Indeed just collects resumes. Whether or not these positions are still open is questionable. You may find more updated information on the company's website directly and look for any openings there.
Apr 30, 2013
524 posts
229 upvotes
Centre of the earth …
Many smaller companies hire newcomers as there is mutual benefit (you get Canadian job experience and they get to save on labour). You can also look for Asian companies - find local Asian newspapers and check the classifieds and start networking! I think that's your best chance.
Keep in mind that any experience in Canada (even low pay) is better than no local (Canadian) experience. Once you are in such job, you can continue searching for better opportunities and that opportunity will come.

Don't give up. Best of luck
Nov 22, 2017
139 posts
45 upvotes
Do not apply to technical sales jobs where impressions are everything. Unfortunately, with an accent recruiters tend to hold it against you. I would try to get into a small general contractor as an electrician apprentice and then go through obtaining a college diploma after. Meanwhile, you need to work any job you can. Even washing dishes is better than staying at home. You never know who you might run into that could help you on your journey.
[OP]
Jan 12, 2019
8 posts
1 upvote
kmarcie wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 4:24 pm
So sorry to hear that you're having a rough time. Hang in there!

I'm not familiar with jobs related to electricians, but with some jobs that are a bit more niche, some resumes can be over-detailed. Also imagine for that for bigger companies, the person screening your resume or conducting the phone interview may be an HR person, therefore if you go into too much details, it's not useful to them. If your resume is a wall of text describing your tasks, it's not useful to them and gets overlooked. Focus on main points. This is especially important if you're applying to a job outside of your area of expertise. For instance, no need to go into technical details if you are applying to a sales job.

Online applications are great, but keep in mind that the resumes are first screened by a computer (most likely). Therefore, using key words matter. Each position have different requirements, matching those key words will enable the system to forward your resume through. This is more tedious because you need to tweak each resume but you may find better success.

I also feel that sites like Indeed just collects resumes. Whether or not these positions are still open is questionable. You may find more updated information on the company's website directly and look for any openings there.
Thanks. I just revised my resume accordingly. Hopefully I can find better chance.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)