Art and Photography

New Canon G7X - Coming Soon (1" Sensor 20MP CMOS)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 30th, 2014 3:31 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
While I would not say the LX100 is a pocket camera, it's NEAR pocketable and it's a helluva a lot smaller than any other DSLR class camera, but the performance is not too far off (especially with that fast lens)

It's not a bad compromise if you have to have ONE camera.

If I bought the LX100, my RX100 and m43 camera would collect a lot more dust
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15213 posts
1671 upvotes
Markham
my RX100 don't fit in my jeans... though it fits fine, of course, in my EDC pack and jacket pockets

the LX100 is looking quite good too.... competition is finally catching up and may beat sony at their own game
ShadowVlican
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
2550 posts
1011 upvotes
da_guy2 wrote: LX100 isn't that big. It's smaller than most mirrorless cameras cameras even and it's only slighty larger than the G7x and RX100. If you're use to the image quality of a DSLR, and this is going to be your only camera I think you'd be disappointed with the results from the G7x and RX100.
Possibly but to be honest my DSLR is collecting dust because I can't be bothered to take it out due to the size. I'd have to see a LX100 in person, but if its not pocketable I can't justify it. The RX100 an G7x images I've seen are more than okay for the shots I'll be doing.
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
ShadowVlican wrote: the LX100 is looking quite good too.... competition is finally catching up and may beat sony at their own game
I like the way Panasonic did the LX100, it looks like a nice photographer friendly camera packing a lot of punch in a small size, but the Canon is a clear copy of the Sonys (while trying to one up them on the lens and price, but not even offering a hotshot or evf). I think these cameras will put pressure on Sony to lower their price which was pretty lofty. If a Mk3 was priced at say, $50-100 more than the Canon (due to EVF), it may keep the momentum on the RX100 as the market leader.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
No, I think most got it the other way around. The original RX100 was clearly inspired by Canon's S & G series. ie. The S90 was the first to use the lens ring control which came out in 2009 and Sony had only adopted on the RX100 in 2012.

Comparison photo to the then more current model S95 in 2012.

[IMG]http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/s ... RONT-S.JPG[/IMG]

In many ways the G7x sticks to the original formula that had made Canon famous for their higher end compact since the release of the S10 in 1999.

Personally, I do not thing Hotshots and EVF are big deals on a compact, many had done without them on the S series. However, let's not forget that the extra zoom would be much more useful in the real world and it is nothing short of amazing that canon was able to made that into the body and also keep the long end aperture at 2.8.

In the days of smart phones, I am glad Canon has also given the camera a touch screen as well, it will make selective focus much quicker than on the RX100, along with 31 focus points and ND Filter.
warpdrive wrote: I like the way Panasonic did the LX100, it looks like a nice photographer friendly camera packing a lot of punch in a small size, but the Canon is a clear copy of the Sonys (while trying to one up them on the lens and price, but not even offering a hotshot or evf). I think these cameras will put pressure on Sony to lower their price which was pretty lofty. If a Mk3 was priced at say, $50-100 more than the Canon (due to EVF), it may keep the momentum on the RX100 as the market leader.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
hdom wrote: Personally, I do not thing Hotshots and EVF are big deals on a compact, many had done without them on the S series.
I'll disagree there, the hotshoe and evf really make the camera stand out for me in terms of versatility. It's what made me upgrade from the 1 to 2i because I do use the Sony auxiliary bounce flash for indoor shots. I'm less of a big fan of the EVF, but quite a lot of my photo friends would not consider a camera without some kind of EVF option.

Also, when I meant copying, I meant taking a 1" sensor and putting it in a camera (using Sony's sensor no less). They are playing catch up for a category of spec that Sony defined. This is the new standard for a compact P&S. I had a S compact so I'm aware the Sony was inspired by the design, but the S series had stagnated until Sony hit the ball out of the park with the RX100.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
We'll, I think even Sony agrees since the hotshoe is removed on the III in favour of the evf.

As for copying, we could debate if it is worst to join the party of popular sensor size or basically copy the whole camera and one up Canon with a bigger sensor but let's not.

I'm very glad that most makers are out of the MP race now however and chosen to fight with real innovations.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
I don't want to argue about who's copying but basically I was saying that Sony is helping lead the way to show how to rejuvenate the dying P&S market. There is really no more market for P&S cameras, but this new category of 1"+ sensors is actually causing people to take notice of these cameras. Canon isn't really bringing anything new to the table unfortunately except playing catch up (still playing it safe).

I think Sony, Panasonic and gang are just more hungry (because they are coming from behind) and it shows. Fuji is also doing well in their own niche
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
Competition is good and if anything these makers are showing that competition doea drive innovation. Instead of us arguing the market will be deciding but I will bet that the G7x will out sell the other two. That is unless Sony is willing to drop to a more realistic price.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8683 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto
Sell D7000/Tamron 17-50 and GF1 to get LX100? lol
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
hdom wrote: I will bet that the G7x will out sell the other two. That is unless Sony is willing to drop to a more realistic price.
It will probably sell just because it says Canon. It should be quite easy for Sony to have a "new lower price" if they choose to. Sony has the advantage they make the sensor for Canon so they do have the cost advantage.

Competition does drive innovation but Canon has traditionally taken very small steps in the answer to the competition because they are the market leader and can get away with it. Sony has more to gain in trying to disrupt their stronghold.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
^Well, we will see what Sony's reaction is and what they bring with a RX100 IV, if there is one. One could easily say that Sony has taken advantage of their 1" compact stronghold with small steps between 3 generations RX100 that are just progressively more expensive than the last. Personally think that is just business, and they all do it.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2013
1432 posts
414 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
hdom wrote: ^Well, we will see what Sony's reaction is and what they bring with a RX100 IV, if there is one. One could easily say that Sony has taken advantage of their 1" compact stronghold with small steps between 3 generations RX100 that are just progressively more expensive than the last. Personally think that is just business, and they all do it.
RX100M2 Japan price: Yen 64760 https://www.mapcamera.com/item/4905524947939
G7x Japan price :Yen 64930 https://www.mapcamera.com/item/4549292020397

seems like pricewise, the Canon is competing against M 2 not M3
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
goldenball wrote: seems like pricewise, the Canon is competing against M 2 not M3
they probably started development of their camera before Sony showed off the M3, so it makes sense that they were probably trying to hit the M2 price and spec target with slightly better specs on the lens. The EVF turns the M3 into a different class of camera price and demographic wise.

There's no reason to believe there won't be a M4 relatively soon. Sony didn't even have to churn out so many iterations so quickly but they did, making their product a moving target.

The fact that Panasonic all of the sudden called their camera the LX100 is kind of telling as well who they were targeting.
Jan 20, 2004
769 posts
248 upvotes
warpdrive wrote: I don't want to argue about who's copying but basically I was saying that Sony is helping lead the way to show how to rejuvenate the dying P&S market. There is really no more market for P&S cameras, but this new category of 1"+ sensors is actually causing people to take notice of these cameras. Canon isn't really bringing anything new to the table unfortunately except playing catch up (still playing it safe).

I think Sony, Panasonic and gang are just more hungry (because they are coming from behind) and it shows. Fuji is also doing well in their own niche
It can be argued that Canon was already using slightly larger sensors in their S and G series for a few years until Sony finally "copied" and leap frogged in 2012 with the RX100. Not that the S and G series sensor was that much bigger than the competition, but it did give them an edge in image quality: http://www.techlifestyle.org/2012/11/go ... 00_22.html

So if anything, Canon has been lazy since 2012 to finally catch up, but how many years has it been for the competition to finally give the S series a run for its money?

Its all good though because competition forces companies to react and either provide better products or drive their prices down.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
I guess I never really thought that the S and G series were all that innovative.

I had the S and G series cameras myself and any difference in image quality was marginal at best, I sold those cameras pretty quickly after they proved to be "I left my DSLR at home and I really regret bringing this P&S instead". So I looked to m43 to bridge the gap at the expense of size.

Now we finally have zoomable pocket size camera that is finally good enough that I don't regret leaving the DSLR behind (much) and I thank Sony for doing it first.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
^^Very well said, can't real discredit Canon because they were sleeping a bit for past 3 years.

^You may be one of the few then, the S has always been highly regarded and there wasn't much like they since the RX100.

Anyway, one more detailed review came out but is in Chinese. They seem impressed with the overall, especially the AF and PQ seems usable upto ISO 1600 but they didn't have an RX100 to do direct comparison.

http://dcdv.zol.com.cn/479/4798511.html
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
hdom wrote: ^You may be one of the few then, the S has always been highly regarded and there wasn't much like they since the RX100.
I bought the S because it was the best at the time, but I rarely ever used it. Just because it's the best doesn't mean it is good enough for me. I don't consider myself an average user. Hence I like things like hotshoes and don't care for crappy on-board flashes. There are people that buy stuff because people say its good, but I buy stuff and only keep it because it meets my needs.

edit: that may sound like I'm full of myself, but I try to be practical about it. The most accurate reviews are the ones you do yourself

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)