Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
3584 posts
439 upvotes
Richmond Hill

New car 1st oil change

When should the 1st oil change for a new car be at? 5000 km?

MIL's mech says that Honda's last longer (from his experience) if changed at the 1000km mark. Is this true?

I asked my Honda dealer and he said 5000 km is perfectly fine, the 1000km is for the previous generation of new cars.
39 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7664 posts
761 upvotes
North York
Go with Honda's 1st oil change recommendation.

A service manager told me the new car (past 10 years) engines have special oil put in at the factory and it is ment to be in the engine longer to coat/condition the engine.

And the new engine manufacturing methods leave the engines cleaner so the first change can be later.
Mar 17, 2010
600 posts
24 upvotes
behind your left sho…
Always best to read your vehicle's manual and follow its details. Some vehicles recommend Oil Change Intervals using normal grade oil and some recommend longer Oil Change Intervals using Full Symthetic oil. Some newer vehicle's even have a computerized display with special sensor - for its "most optiminal" oil change interval.

For me and my non-aggresive driving style, I'm from "old school". Thus, I use 3,000 miles / 5,000 kms using normal grade 30 oil. I use Full Synthetic in high RPM / high heat engines - like small engines (like generators, snow blowers, etc.) For details, surf: http://www.catherinesautorepair.com/news.html

Its always best to follow the details in your specific vehicle's manual - within its Maintance Schedule table.

[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
3584 posts
439 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Cool.

Yes, my dealer says when the wrench in the dash lights up - it means that the level is at 15%, and that's when I bring it in. I'll also go through the manual to confirm as well.

Thanks!
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24879 posts
2462 upvotes
Ottawa
nyik wrote:
Apr 28th, 2010 11:52 am
Cool.

Yes, my dealer says when the wrench in the dash lights up - it means that the level is at 15%, and that's when I bring it in. I'll also go through the manual to confirm as well.

Thanks!
It is not an oil 'level" warning. It is to indicate that the calculated life of the oil is within 15% of expiring. If there is no specific requirement for the "firsst" change, then ask if the light (wrench) is an absolute insdicator or if it is purely based on usage. Sometimes you need to change the oil on a calander basis, particularily if you do not drive much (ie, 5,000 kms or 3 months, 10,000kms or 6 months etc)
Your owners manual should tell you when you need to carry out your first and subsequent oil change.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
3584 posts
439 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Thanks Pete. Always appreciate your feedback.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1054 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
According to the manual, you should not change your oil early. You should wait until the wrench shows up on the dash or one year, whichever come first.

Apr 15, 2010
214 posts
GTA - West
bst wrote:
Apr 28th, 2010 12:30 pm
According to the manual, you should not change your oil early. You should wait until the wrench shows up on the dash or one year, whichever come first.

i recognize that manual -- the fonts of a honda manual? at any rate, yes, MID should tell you when, or barring that, i probably would change it 12 mos after my last oil change (assuming the indicator doesnt tell me so before that time which hasnt happened - i think honda requires every 12 mos if you dont drive it often - though i have to leaf through the manual again)
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2036 posts
70 upvotes
bst wrote:
Apr 28th, 2010 12:30 pm

LOL, that's from the owner's manual of a 2008+ Accord.

OP, I have a 2008 Accord and you should follow manufacturer's recommendations for oil changes.

I usually go get my oil changed when Maintenance Minder System shows "Oil Life 5%"

Pure city driving gets me about 8-9000 km and pure highway driving gets me about 13-14000 km from a single oil change. Pretty impressive for non-synthetic oil huh? :D
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
3584 posts
439 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Excellent, thx guys.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2005
4801 posts
517 upvotes
tapanpatel88 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2010 4:10 pm
Pure city driving gets me about 8-9000 km and pure highway driving gets me about 13-14000 km from a single oil change. Pretty impressive for non-synthetic oil huh? :D
not really - your cars system is not sophisticated ... it's only measuring rpm and time .. and not actually seeing the oil

you could replace the oil with urine and get the same interval with the accord (and every honda actually)
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2036 posts
70 upvotes
ssainani wrote:
Apr 28th, 2010 4:53 pm
not really - your cars system is not sophisticated ... it's only measuring rpm and time .. and not actually seeing the oil

you could replace the oil with urine and get the same interval with the accord (and every honda actually)
I know that MMS is nothing fancy and it does not measure real-time engine oil life. It is a simple algorithm that takes into consideration driving habits, engine temps, etc to calculate a close to accurate number. However, if you were to dispose the oil upon MMS showing 15% for example, then it should be visible that the old oil has about a 15% worth of life left. That should prove that MMS does an adequate job to show a driver when the next maintenance is due without posing any adverse negative effects/damages on an engine.

Not everyone is a car expert. For people that don't understand a lot of technical aspects about cars (average consumers for example and myself also) are more than pleased with such a "fancy" feature. Having this feature definitely makes my life a bit easier as it also displays which other services along with engine oil life need to be performed on my vehicle.

About the urine part, I am not sure. Why don't you give it a try and let me know?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2006
6219 posts
194 upvotes
tapanpatel88 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2010 5:09 pm
About the urine part, I am not sure. Why don't you give it a try and let me know?
I'll skip the chance to make a piss on honda joke.

OP just do what the owners manual says!

The new Kia's have a 12,000km oil change interval! It was weird to go that long!
Apr 15, 2010
214 posts
GTA - West
tapanpatel88 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2010 5:09 pm

nice answer tapanp. i hope someone does piss on ssainani's vehicle since he doesnt really care about it :D
Nov 1, 2009
126 posts
3 upvotes
GTA
OIl changes should be done accordingly to driving style and conditions. the 3000km-5000km rule was invented by Mr lube and oilchange companies to get you to do oil changes more often. KIND OF LIKE THINKING THAT AN ENGAGEMENT RING SHOULD COST YOU 3 MONTHS SALERY. ITS ALL MARKETING!
× < >