Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
2185 posts
363 upvotes
Canada

New Car with Damage what would you do?

I purchased a new car last week, they had to bring it in from another dealers and called me today to let me know it arrived and that I could pick it up tomorrow at noon after they detail it.
I was driving by the dealership tonight and saw the car on the lot so pulled over to see. Looked great but I noticed under the front bumper it has scraped a curb or something. I am not happy about
accepting a new 35K car with damage. Any advice? I have not spoke to them yet as they were closed. I did email them pictures of what I saw tonight. I have not signed any papers yet, have only left a deposit.

[IMG]http://alliya.ca/damage/damage.jpg[/IMG]
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2008
5064 posts
2638 upvotes
Toronto
Ask them to give you a huge discount or to repair it.
I would not be cool with that. Most people aren't cool with scratches on a brand new electronic device, so a 35k item with scratches is a big NO NO
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Ask what their cost would be to repair it, then say you'll take a discount off the agreed on price that is a bit less than that (if it sounds reasonable). Honestly, nobody is going to see it and it saves you money, as well as from being the first one to do it anyway - especially if you're not the only one that is going to drive it if you get my meaning.

Since it's on the bumper, it won't get any worse - there's nothing there to rust. And yup somebody parked up too close to one of those concrete dividers. At least it wasn't one that has a big piece of rebar sticking out the top of it, I've seen people rip their bumpers straight off after going over one of those and then trying to back away.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
4869 posts
2743 upvotes
Quebec
if its a brand new car, i would not accept to buy this car.

a repainted car is not "new" anymore for me.

its up to you.

you have a very good argument to refuse to buy this brand new car.

but if you can deal a huge discount for that, lets say 1-2k less, if you can live with that.

i personnaly dont care even they give me 3k less, when i pay for a brand new car, i want it brand new undamaged.

good luck!
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
2185 posts
363 upvotes
Canada
I know , I wanted a new car, they had same year model on the lot that was a demo with a mark on it, I did not want it even for the less $$, I wanted a new car. I have not owned a NEW car since my 1985 Toyota MR2. Have always bough used. Its not a painted part it is black plastic. I am not sure how they plan to handle it yet. They would have to replace the bumper I think its all one part. You will never get a 100% "factory finish" on any repair. Clips (can) get broken, some bolts (can) go missing, panel gaps are not 100%.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4567 posts
3509 upvotes
Montreal
I would negotiate a discount, not a big deal but a chance to lower the price more.

Actually I would not accept a repair, if I recall the replacement body parts are painted afterwards by dealer contracted bodyshop and it's never as good as factory job.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Let me tell you what my friend, I would sooner trust a compulsive liar than a car salesman and even worse their sales manager. They are built on lies and half truths. Went in last month to buy a car and wanted to see if I could get a good trade. They gave me their best offer which was about 1000 off what I wanted so I said I am leaving, manager runs I've and says ok well meet your price. Come back a few days later to finalize thing only to have te sales manager tell me with a straight face that he only said it so I would buy the car since I loved the test drive do much. Back and forth 30 minutes an we meet half way so we both feel like good about it. Sales financier guy says to sign a paper that is to procure information on the loan and the actually final bill I sale is when I pick up the car. A week later I show up to pick up the car only to discover they reneged on the agreed pride of the trade in and the two face crook in financing days you see that is your signature we didn't forge it. Well in the end I lose the trade in value I was hoping and end up losing the I haggle advantage. Word of caution, don't shop at plaza kids of Richmond hill. Actually get your guard up ok matter where you shop because they are all damn crooks.
Banned
Jun 22, 2012
4737 posts
722 upvotes
Shhanada
Supercooled wrote: Let me tell you what my friend, I would sooner trust a compulsive liar than a car salesman and even worse their sales manager. They are built on lies and half truths. Went in last month to buy a car and wanted to see if I could get a good trade. They gave me their best offer which was about 1000 off what I wanted so I said I am leaving, manager runs I've and says ok well meet your price. Come back a few days later to finalize thing only to have te sales manager tell me with a straight face that he only said it so I would buy the car since I loved the test drive do much. Back and forth 30 minutes an we meet half way so we both feel like good about it. Sales financier guy says to sign a paper that is to procure information on the loan and the actually final bill I sale is when I pick up the car. A week later I show up to pick up the car only to discover they reneged on the agreed pride of the trade in and the two face crook in financing days you see that is your signature we didn't forge it. Well in the end I lose the trade in value I was hoping and end up losing the I haggle advantage. Word of caution, don't shop at plaza kids of Richmond hill. Actually get your guard up ok matter where you shop because they are all damn crooks.
I've experienced similar number switching games by the auto deler, but luckily caught it in time.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3252 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Kamloops wrote: I purchased a new car last week, they had to bring it in from another dealers and called me today to let me know it arrived and that I could pick it up tomorrow at noon after they detail it.
I was driving by the dealership tonight and saw the car on the lot so pulled over to see. Looked great but I noticed under the front bumper it has scraped a curb or something. I am not happy about
accepting a new 35K car with damage. Any advice? I have not spoke to them yet as they were closed. I did email them pictures of what I saw tonight. I have not signed any papers yet, have only left a deposit.

[IMG]http://alliya.ca/damage/damage.jpg[/IMG]
Make a note of the VIN (if you haven't already done so) and tell you want a different car, same model.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Banned
Jun 22, 2012
4737 posts
722 upvotes
Shhanada
jzmtl wrote: I would negotiate a discount, not a big deal but a chance to lower the price more.

Actually I would not accept a repair, if I recall the replacement body parts are painted afterwards by dealer contracted bodyshop and it's never as good as factory job.
I too would look for the cash discount rather than the repair. Repainted bumpers (if that is even a painted area?) never look right. And you could easily repeat or extend that same damage on day 2 of ownership anyway. They may prefer to repair it, regardless of your choice. Depending on who was at fault, this could be some much needed paddable body work for them during their slow season.

It sounds like you prefer a pristine car though, which is your prerogative, but that may involve a longer wait, etc.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4963 posts
562 upvotes
GTA
if its unpainted plastic they can buff/polish it out.. might see some scratches still.. sucks.. but I doubt the dealer will give a discount. Maybe get an oil change or two is more likely
Mar 9, 2014
457 posts
216 upvotes
You haven't signed off on the car yet, so no big deal. You want a different one, ask for one.

Before you accept the car, you do a walk through/walk around with your salesman and if all is acceptable, then you sign the paper and drive off in your new car. Just don't sign off.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
Similiar situation happened to me Aug 29th 2008. lol

Went to pick up a new car I had purchased a few days prior. I did the walk-around like a hawk and found a very faint scratch. The dealer promised me up and down they'd have someone come over to fix it in my driveway and threw in a single oil change. After talking it over with my wife we were happy with the offer since at that point we had sold our other car and desperately needed it. He filled out the official looking paperwork to have someone call me and come to my house. 1 week later, nothing. I called lef ta voicemail. 2 weeks nothing, I went in to have a nasty talk with the dealer, he wasn't there. Made it to the sales manager who told me I'd get a call from the dealer that Monday. Monday comes along and...crickets. Since it was barely noticeable it wasn't worth the aggravation and by this time there were probably a couple more dings or scratches (as it was my wife's SUV lol).

All this to say get money up front and be prepared to walk away.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5010 upvotes
Toronto
Since it's only cosmetic, won't rust (it's only plastic) and not visible normally, I would go for the money.

One thing you should consider is getting some accessories, etc. instead of straight cash/discount. If they offer, say, $200 discount, that may be equivalent to a $400 or $500 accessory, since their cost is much lower. For example, instead of giving you a discount of $200, they can order an OEM spoiler for $50 and it'll take one of their mechanics 15 minutes to install it, so it works out cheaper for them, but they normally would have charged $300 plus an hour of labour plus HST if you wanted one, so it works out better for you.

So if they offer $x, counter with an accessory that would have cost you 2 or 3 times that amount.

Yes, most aftermarket accessories are cheaper and you can always get non-OEM, but sometimes it's best to get OEM accessories. I would never pay for OEM floor mats, but an OEM spoiler with exact colour match is another thing entirely. And of course, everyone knows you get 15% more horsepower once you have a spoiler...
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
So what kind of car is it, I can't tell from the underside of the bumper.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
2185 posts
363 upvotes
Canada
They were great about it. They are going to replace the part with a new one. Pretty easy to take off and replace it, its not the entire bumper and its not a painted part. The car does not have a mark on it anywhere else.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)