Automotive

New car disaster. Am I out of luck? Help needed.

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 31st, 2013 3:47 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2005
3085 posts
249 upvotes
Vancouver

New car disaster. Am I out of luck? Help needed.

Pick up a brand new 2012 Nissan Rogue SL on Nov 27. On Dec 3rd, car was shaking back and forth in front of a red light, engine lights went on and car could not move. Had to restart the car. everything seem normal afterward except car seems to be louder. GPS was also not working properly. Went to dealership service yesterday morning and pick up car this morning. Was told the controlling unit for GPS is replaced, but cannot find out why the shaking or why engine light went on. only advice given is to keep driving and call back immediately if this happen again.

what can I do? This is really frustrating. and I am worried about safety of car.

edited: car had under 120km on it when this happened.

this is the code P0011 from service report
a quick google
http://nissanhelp.com/diy/obd_codes/p0011_nissan.html
i have no idea what it means.

edited 12/14/11
update (lack of)
contacted owner of dealership last friday, said will contact me this monday. which is just lie. no phone call or email whatsoever.

A warning to everyone: think twice before before buying a nissan and think again before buying from morrey nissan in BC.

guess my next step is to contact BBB. I dont have high hope in them, but at least it is some pressure.

is there some dealership review site? I am gonna post everywhere to make them deserve their 'reputation'.

edited 1/7/2012:
This car is crap.
GPS wont speak again after restarting engine from gas station tonight. going to take car to another dealership next week.

also update: last i heard from BBB is that dealership is not responding to BBB, so case is now marked unresolved and file closed.

I will not ever buy another nissan in my life. what a pos.
54 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2005
3085 posts
249 upvotes
Vancouver
trixstar wrote:
Dec 7th, 2011 4:41 pm
what car is it?

a nissan rogue
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1067 upvotes
Mississauga
ccyk wrote:
Dec 7th, 2011 4:37 pm
engine lights went on and car could not move. Was told the controlling unit for GPS is replaced, but cannot find out why the shaking or why engine light went on. only advice given is to keep driving and call back immediately if this happen again.
If the service engine light came on this it will be stored in the computers memory until it's either erased or the battery is disconnected. I don't know why the dealer would state, "cannot find out why engine light went on". The dealer has the diagnostic tools to identify this unless they disconnected the battery first in order to replace the GPS unit which would have cleared the code but I would have checked codes first before deleting them.

All you can do at this point is hope the problem doesn't come back if it does and the engine light comes on even for a couple seconds it will be stored in the computer again, until deleted.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2010
3553 posts
84 upvotes
Sounds like a spark plug issue maybe.
RFD OT: Serious answers to stupid questions.
RFD Definition of 'troll': Someone whose opinion you don't like.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2005
3085 posts
249 upvotes
Vancouver
Maymybonneliveforever wrote:
Dec 7th, 2011 4:47 pm
If the service engine light came on this it will be stored in the computers memory until it's either erased or the battery is disconnected. I don't know why the dealer would state, "cannot find out why engine light went on". The dealer has the diagnostic tools to identify this unless they disconnected the battery first in order to replace the GPS unit which would have cleared the code but I would have checked codes first before deleting them.

All you can do at this point is hope the problem doesn't come back if it does and the engine light comes on even for a couple seconds it will be stored in the computer again, until deleted.

they got the code before they erase it and was told the code is related to oil??
and they checked oil, it is normal so don't know what caused it. they said they called nissan technical support but did not get a reply from them as well.
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
542 upvotes
just a random misfire. nothing to worry about, happens all the time.

you must have been doing something.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2005
3085 posts
249 upvotes
Vancouver
packardbell wrote:
Dec 7th, 2011 4:58 pm

you must have been doing something.

i was braking slowing toward a red light. shaking started when car was at complete stop.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
188 upvotes
ccyk wrote:
Pick up a brand new 2012 Nissan Rogue SL on Nov 27. On Dec 3rd, car was shaking back and forth in front of a red light, engine lights went on and car could not move. Had to restart the car. everything seem normal afterward except car seems to be louder. GPS was also not working properly. Went to dealership service yesterday morning and pick up car this morning. Was told the controlling unit for GPS is replaced, but cannot find out why the shaking or why engine light went on. only advice given is to keep driving and call back immediately if this happen again.

what can I do? This is really frustrating. and I am worried about safety of car.

Do you mean the engine turned off?
Or, the engine was running but the car could not move?
It is not a manual transmission, right?
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2004
3070 posts
46 upvotes
packardbell wrote:
Dec 7th, 2011 4:58 pm

You know how I can tell you're a VW owner?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2005
3085 posts
249 upvotes
Vancouver
gman wrote:
Dec 7th, 2011 5:03 pm
Do you mean the engine turned off?
Or, the engine was running but the car could not move?
It is not a manual transmission, right?

It is a CVT.

engine did not turn off by itself. it was running and I tried to press gas pedal, car did not move. so I turn off engine. and restart it again. it seems back to normal.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5855 posts
1512 upvotes
BC
ccyk wrote:
.... car was shaking back and forth in front of a red light, engine lights went on and car could not move. Had to restart the car. everything seem normal afterward except car seems to be louder.
...... I am worried about safety of car.

Maymybonneliveforever wrote:
Dec 7th, 2011 4:47 pm
If the service engine light came on ......

Was hoping I could contribute something to mitigate this disaster.

But maybe it isn't a disaster at all.

My sense from the OP's wording is that the engine cut out while idling and the lights that came on were the usual ones with the ignition on and engine not running.

That would be why the dealership could not read an OBDII code - because the CEL/SES light did not come on.

Sure, the cause for the idle problem needs to be identified somehow.

Not sure why vehicle would sound louder now.

Maybe an intermittent leaking connection of a boot around the intake? But that would normally trigger a CEL I would think.

Continue driving and monitor the situation might be O.K. providing you make notes of any further symptoms to guide the dealership.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2005
3085 posts
249 upvotes
Vancouver
macnut wrote:
Dec 7th, 2011 5:09 pm
Was hoping I could contribute something to mitigate this disaster.

But maybe it isn't a disaster at all.

My sense from the OP's wording is that the engine cut out while idling and the lights that came on were the usual ones with the ignition on and engine not running.

That would be why the dealership could not read an OBDII code - because the CEL/SES light did not come on.

Sure, the cause for the idle problem needs to be identified somehow.

Not sure why vehicle would sound louder now.

Maybe an intermittent leaking connection of a boot around the intake? But that would normally trigger a CEL I would think.

Continue driving and monitor the situation might be O.K. providing you make notes of any further symptoms to guide the dealership.

there were 3 lights that came on: oil lamp light, engine light, battery light.

the lights went on after I press gas pedal as red light turned green. Car did not move.
then I turn off the engine and restart.

I just hope it wont happen again. I feel so upset for getting this for a new car.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
188 upvotes
ccyk wrote:
Dec 7th, 2011 5:21 pm
there were 3 lights that came on: oil lamp light, engine light, battery light.

the lights went on after I press gas pedal as red light turned green. Car did not move.
then I turn off the engine and restart.

I just hope it wont happen again. I feel so upset for getting this for a new car.

Are you sure the engine was running? In a 'normal' car, when that 3 lights come up, the engine is not running.
The shaking you described is similar to a car's engine dying off.
Did you notice what the RPM was?
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.