Automotive

New car disaster. Am I out of luck? Help needed.

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 31st, 2013 3:47 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2005
3085 posts
249 upvotes
Vancouver
iHop wrote:
Dec 7th, 2011 10:38 pm
Just drive the car. If it happens again, take it back in. Theres nothing you can do at this point unless you want to buy a diagnostics machine yourself. The code you mentioned had nothing to do with the GPS module, they dealer was lying to you as the ECM is the engines computer. If there was a problem with the engines computer, all of the symptoms you have point to it.

You still have at least 60k or 80k left on warranty. No need to worry.

I guess thats another issue. The GPS could not speak. the voice guidance wasnt working.
They said they run tests on it and could not duplicate problem, so can't diagnose it.
I will check with another dealer today/tomorrow. Thanks.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2005
3085 posts
249 upvotes
Vancouver
poedua wrote:
Dec 8th, 2011 7:59 am
FWIW, looks like the person below experienced the exact same problem at a light that you had ...and got the same code.....

[INDENT]
[/INDENT]

[INDENT] [/INDENT]

http://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80- ... 9-a-39439/

Now, this may having nothing to do with your problem, but I'd get a second opinion nonetheless,. ;)

Thanks. I will ask dealer about this.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2005
3085 posts
249 upvotes
Vancouver
tebore wrote:
Dec 8th, 2011 8:23 am
It's not a misfire.

Not on this car but on other I've seen it's something to do with the Variable valve timing.

Cases I've seen is:

-The oil pump was failing and lack of oil pressure was not allowing the cam phasers to work. (You had the CEL and the oil pressure) light.

-Flashing from the castings flung off and travelled to the phaser and stopped it from working.

At the very least the dealership should have check the codes and pulled the timing cover to see what's up with the phasers(really big looking timing gears).

They should also drain the oil to see what's in there.

Chances are since it's new engine that some metal debris broke off and clogged or blocked the VVT system. It's more common than you think.

thanks, will ask dealer about that.
Sep 3, 2002
251 posts
14 upvotes
Calgary
I have recently purchased a new 2011 Rogue as well, so I am familiar enough with the vehicle.

First, as someone has pointed out the site before, the NICO forums is a great resource for looking up problems specifically related to the Rogue:

http://forums.nicoclub.com/rogue-forum.html

Try making a post there about your problem and see if there are any experts there that can help.

Now from the NICO forums, there's been several reports of the Rogue being stuck on 'limp mode'. The situations are all similar:

- driver stops as a red light
- dashboard lights come on (CEL might come on in some cases, other cases not)
- traffic light turns green, driver steps on accelerator pedal
- car does not respond or it accelerates MUCH slower than normal even when pedal is fully depressed (hence 'limp mode')
- simply shutting down the car ignition and then restarting it will reset everything back to normal

Now, the causes of why it goes into 'limp mode' can vary. Often times, a CEL is not thrown and so Nissan dealers are not able to diagnose what the issue is.

However, in your case, it appears you do have a CEL code (code P0011) that was caught. The dealer should have been able to figure out what was wrong; if not, then perhaps it might be worthwhile to try visiting another Nissan dealer in your area for a second opinion.

Even if the problem doesn't re-occur again, I would insist that Nissan take another look at it. A new Rogue _SHOULD NOT_ just randomly throw a CEL code like that under normal operation condition.

EDIT: I also want to add that there has been known issues with the CVT in Rogues prior to 2011. The issue is well-documented on NICO forums. Nissan ended up extending the CVT warranty on those Rogues. Supposedly the issue has been resolved with Rogues 2011 and onwards.
You have died.
Your deeds of valor shall be remembered.
Press any key to continue.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2006
1497 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
ccyk wrote:
Dec 7th, 2011 4:37 pm
Pick up a brand new 2012 Nissan Rogue SL on Nov 27. On Dec 3rd, car was shaking back and forth in front of a red light, engine lights went on and car could not move. Had to restart the car. everything seem normal afterward except car seems to be louder. GPS was also not working properly. Went to dealership service yesterday morning and pick up car this morning. Was told the controlling unit for GPS is replaced, but cannot find out why the shaking or why engine light went on. only advice given is to keep driving and call back immediately if this happen again.

what can I do? This is really frustrating. and I am worried about safety of car.

edited: car had under 120km on it when this happened.

this is the code P0011 from service report
a quick google
http://nissanhelp.com/diy/obd_codes/p0011_nissan.html
i have no idea what it means.

Had this happen to my car, a GM. Believe it or not it was a sensor that was causing the issue. Took 6 visits and about 6 months to get the issue fixed.
Feb 16, 2009
816 posts
73 upvotes
http://nissanhelp.com/diy/obd_codes/p0011_nissan.html

could be a chunk of rubber from a timing belt getting in the sensor... or any other sort of debris floating around in there during break in.

If it's anything to be concerned about, it will get worse before it gets better. and once it is worse, the techs will be able to see it happening.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
17109 posts
4900 upvotes
Toronto
Looks like you got a lemon. Get a new car.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2005
3085 posts
249 upvotes
Vancouver
faxed nissan canada a letter last night to tell them about the car
they called back today, they are totally useless.
Banned
Oct 24, 2011
97 posts
4 upvotes
ccyk wrote:
Dec 9th, 2011 11:25 pm
faxed nissan canada a letter last night to tell them about the car
they called back today, they are totally useless.

What did they say?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2005
3085 posts
249 upvotes
Vancouver
Gearsofwargal wrote:
Dec 10th, 2011 12:07 am
What did they say?

apology, nothing else. dodging question on reliability. no assurance this wont happen again. said no policy to deal with it.

should question their take on safety, but already hung up. they just make me more pissed off.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20335 posts
4292 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Keep carrying it back to the dealer. If they can't solve it, make it a very verbal issue in front of potential customers about after sales service from the dealership. You will be amazed at the results!
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2005
3085 posts
249 upvotes
Vancouver
update (lack of)
contacted owner of dealership last friday, said will contact me this monday. which is just lie. no phone call or email whatsoever.

A warning to everyone: think twice before before buying a nissan and think again before buying from morrey nissan in BC.

guess my next step is to contact BBB. I dont have high hope in them, but at least it is some pressure.

is there some dealership review site? I am gonna post everywhere to make them deserve their 'reputation'.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16065 posts
6227 upvotes
ccyk wrote:
Dec 14th, 2011 3:38 pm
update (lack of)
contacted owner of dealership last friday, said will contact me this monday. which is just lie. no phone call or email whatsoever.

A warning to everyone: think twice before before buying a nissan and think again before buying from morrey nissan in BC.

guess my next step is to contact BBB. I dont have high hope in them, but at least it is some pressure.

is there some dealership review site? I am gonna post everywhere to make them deserve their 'reputation'.

Reviews can be posted on sites like Google Places and that, which will allow people who google the dealership to potentially read your review. I'm also not sure if Yelp does car dealer reviews.