Automotive

New Car - Salesman gave me his cost price and "told me" to make an offer...what should i make him?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2018 9:26 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1279 posts
110 upvotes

New Car - Salesman gave me his cost price and "told me" to make an offer...what should i make him?

So this is my first time buying a car.

I am "attempting" to negotiate a price for a 2017 toyota limited highlander.

im trying to get prices from 3 toyota dealerships and emailing this one dude and he just throws me his cost prices and tells me to make an offfer.

he tells me his cost price is 48,222 dollars with taxes in. he has 3278 dollars of profit in the highlander. pic attached

he says he obviously cant sell me the highlander for cost price as he needs to make money.

since most of you guys have more experience buying cars, what would you guys say i should offer him?
Images
  • cost.jpg
73 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2012
2053 posts
762 upvotes
MARKHAM
Response with $500 over their invoice price.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
1048 posts
669 upvotes
Toronto
2017 Highlander Ltd has $4309 markup, so I might question the honesty of this fella already.

That worksheet you have there isn't for a 2017 Highlander Limited though... It's for a 2017 Highlander XLE & the total profit is $3778.00

At cost, the vehicle should be $53,794.22 for the Limited and $47,614.25 for the XLE.

Edit: Removed edit - 4.29% is the lowest she goes through the dealer.
Last edited by xjesterxx on Nov 4th, 2017 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1279 posts
110 upvotes
xjesterxx wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 11:52 am
2017 Highlander Ltd has $4309 markup, so I might question the honesty of this fella already.

That worksheet you have there isn't for a 2017 Highlander Limited though... It's for a 2017 Highlander XLE & the total profit is $3778.00

At cost, the vehicle should be $53,794.22 for the Limited and $47,614.25 for the XLE.

Edit: You can also get a lower rate going through the bank - for the 2017 Highlander XLE you should be able to get 3.74 or 3.99% over 60 months.
Dumb question but, how do you know this? lol

I will email him back confirming if it is the Limited.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
1048 posts
669 upvotes
Toronto
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 12:34 pm

Hehe.

MSRP on the XLE is $43995

MSRP on the Limited is $49995

On the worksheet it's showing $43995
Dec 29, 2013
30 posts
12 upvotes
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 12:34 pm

If you want to know on new cars by Toyota, xjesterxx knows what he is talking about.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1279 posts
110 upvotes
xjesterxx wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 12:39 pm

Hehe.

MSRP on the XLE is $43995

MSRP on the Limited is $49995

On the worksheet it's showing $43995
MadMonday wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 1:04 pm
If you want to know on new cars by Toyota, xjesterxx knows what he is talking about.
you were correct. he said he " made a mistake" and gave me a new work sheet thingy:

How much would you guys say i should offer?

i know another user on RFD here got a 17 highlander. got 1976 off and 3.99% rate.
Images
  • cost2.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
5490 posts
758 upvotes
OP you are playing a silly game with this guy. You don't make offers. They give you prices and you choose to buy or not.

Tell him to give you the best price he can sell it for and still make his satisfacory profit margin. Ask the same off the other dealerships and go with best one. Start negotiating from there with the cheapest dealership.

If you are willing to go out of town, I know someone that works in sales at the dealership in Cobourg. Sometimes a small town can offer better prices. PM me if you want their email.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5139 posts
1059 upvotes
Mississauga
OP 2017 Highlanders are old. 2018's are already out. Definitely do not pay more than his so-called "showroom cost". Car has depreciated already.

Ask him to show you 2018 Highlander "showroom cost". It is afterall, only $650 more than the 2017.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
1048 posts
669 upvotes
Toronto
Gutty96 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 5:24 pm
OP you are playing a silly game with this guy. You don't make offers. They give you prices and you choose to buy or not.

Tell him to give you the best price he can sell it for and still make his satisfacory profit margin. Ask the same off the other dealerships and go with best one. Start negotiating from there with the cheapest dealership.

If you are willing to go out of town, I know someone that works in sales at the dealership in Cobourg. Sometimes a small town can offer better prices. PM me if you want their email.
Not typically the case unfortunately.. More inventory / volume typically = lower prices. If one guy sells 20 Highlander a month, chances are they can stomach a skinny deal. If another guy sells 3, it's highly unlikely they'll give the vehicle away.
kenchau wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 5:38 pm
OP 2017 Highlanders are old. 2018's are already out. Definitely do not pay more than his so-called "showroom cost". Car has depreciated already.

Ask him to show you 2018 Highlander "showroom cost". It is afterall, only $650 more than the 2017.
Not necessarily wrong, but I would say best of luck buying a 2017 Highlander for dealer cost :)
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2038 posts
1072 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
The salesman is using a very good tactic. Show dealer cost upfront so that you have to decide how much profit to give him. I would offer $500 above invoice and let him counter $1000, maybe even $1500. He may not even budge though depending on their motivation to move inventory. Toyota's are hard to negotiate.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer. Beware of their tactics.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
7898 posts
2500 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
The subject of invoice pricing has been discussed many times before. Basically, the invoice price is the cost to the dealership IF you don't count any discounts, rebates, incentives, bonuses, promotions or anything that will lower the price - it's the MSRP from the OEM to the dealer. In other words, no dealer actually pays that price for the car... they pay less and depending on their discount level, rebates, dealer incentives, and promotions, it might be a lot less - several thousands less than what you see.

The reason why they are showing you the invoice price is that they KNOW that the invoice price is already out there and other manufacturers are making a big deal about selling you at invoice so why not show you the invoice price and start from there?
Banned
Dec 28, 2015
614 posts
236 upvotes
Westmount, QC
craftsman wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 5:50 pm
The subject of invoice pricing has been discussed many times before. Basically, the invoice price is the cost to the dealership IF you don't count any discounts, rebates, incentives, bonuses, promotions or anything that will lower the price - it's the MSRP from the OEM to the dealer. In other words, no dealer actually pays that price for the car... they pay less and depending on their discount level, rebates, dealer incentives, and promotions, it might be a lot less - several thousands less than what you see.

The reason why they are showing you the invoice price is that they KNOW that the invoice price is already out there and other manufacturers are making a big deal about selling you at invoice so why not show you the invoice price and start from there?
No incentives on Highlander

And what you said is already known... invoice price is always exclusive of factory incentives that change monthly and stack on top of discount from dealer as incentives are from manufacture
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
7898 posts
2500 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
MrWhiteCoffee wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 5:56 pm
And what you said is already known... invoice price is always exclusive of factory incentives that change monthly and stack on top of discount from dealer as incentives are from manufacture
Yes, I know it's already know; hence, I stated that it's been discussed many times and why I just summarized it.

I was just informing the OP and some of the other posters as they don't seem to know.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
1048 posts
669 upvotes
Toronto
craftsman wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 5:50 pm

The invoice is the invoice on the Highlander.. nothing hidden here and the sales rep sent the correct information in the more recent offer sheet.

It’s a starting point, but going upwards and not downwards like you suggest.