Automotive

New Car - Salesman gave me his cost price and "told me" to make an offer...what should i make him?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2018 9:26 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
8415 posts
2830 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 1:31 pm
Thanks for the input guys!

As one you pointed out to check if its all the fees included, tax, freight etc.i emailed the salesmen and he confirms it is. the only thing not in the price are plates.

I guess im wondering is...how should i proceed or respond back with?

See if you can squeeze the first few oil changes and maintenance visits out of the deal... Tell them that your significant other thinks that new vehicles cost more to service and if they can throw in or heavily discount some services, it would go a long way in convincing them otherwise!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5330 posts
1113 upvotes
Mississauga
xjesterxx wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 1:04 pm
It's a letter of introduction from someone who works at the manufacturer - everyone that works at the plant can call a hotline and get a code to send to a friend or family member or whoever really.
What discount is the Friend/Family code giving? Why in the quote sheet does it show the selling price as the same for the second and third column. But the payments are higher at the same rate. When I use the Toyota calculator online and I put a trade-in value to make it equivalent to the selling price and then put $30K downpayment, I come out with ballpark close to column three. So that's standard price.

Where's the additional discount from Friend/Family?

Furthermore, when I take out the trade-in value to make it full MSRP pricing, the monthly payments are still way lower than the second column (by almost $90), that's not chump change variance caused by an admin fee or anything.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
1079 posts
698 upvotes
Toronto
kenchau wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 1:51 pm
What discount is the Friend/Family code giving? Why in the quote sheet does it show the selling price as the same for the second and third column. But the payments are higher at the same rate. When I use the Toyota calculator online and I put a trade-in value to make it equivalent to the selling price and then put $30K downpayment, I come out with ballpark close to column three. So that's standard price.

Where's the additional discount from Friend/Family?

Furthermore, when I take out the trade-in value to make it full MSRP pricing, the monthly payments are still way lower than the second column (by almost $90), that's not chump change variance caused by an admin fee or anything.
The friends & family discount @ Toyota is $800 over dealer cost.

I'll take a second look at the sheet to see if it makes sense.

The sheet is correct @ $800 over with respect to payment, term, cash down, etc. Doesn't appear to be any hidden fees or the like. I'm not sure why the sheet doesn't show freight, enviro, etc but it is included in the payments.
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5330 posts
1113 upvotes
Mississauga
xjesterxx wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 1:56 pm

The sheet is correct @ $800 over with respect to payment, term, cash down, etc. Doesn't appear to be any hidden fees or the like. I'm not sure why the sheet doesn't show freight, enviro, etc but it is included in the payments.
Okay, then that makes sense for column three - matches up with the online calculator. Column two must have a bunch of erroneous fees added in, since it comes out higher than full MSRP compared to the online calculator.

@thatsnazzyiphoneguy , if it's the vehicle you want, and you're happy with invoice + $800, then go for it and enjoy your car and don't look back wondering if you could have paid less or gotten more or whatever...because there's always someone that will get a better deal, as well as, someone that will pay more.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1300 posts
113 upvotes
kenchau wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 2:05 pm
Okay, then that makes sense for column three - matches up with the online calculator. Column two must have a bunch of erroneous fees added in, since it comes out higher than full MSRP compared to the online calculator.

@thatsnazzyiphoneguy , if it's the vehicle you want, and you're happy with invoice + $800, then go for it and enjoy your car and don't look back wondering if you could have paid less or gotten more or whatever...because there's always someone that will get a better deal, as well as, someone that will pay more.
Do you think thats a fair price?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5330 posts
1113 upvotes
Mississauga
Nov 7th, 2017 9:30 pm
Do you think thats a fair price?
If I say no, and this is the vehicle you really want, and this is the best price you're able to negotiate, does that mean you don't buy the vehicle? If I say yes, but in your mind you want more off, and you buy it, you'll still always think you should have gotten more off and never listened to someone off the internet.

Like I said before, you have to be comfortable with the price. No one else. If you think over $3,000 off is a fair deal, then that's all that matters. If you want to get the absolute best deal out of anyone, I can safely tell you, that's never going to happen. Ask yourself if you really like the car. Ask yourself if you think it's a fair price. Then the answer should be obvious to you and that's the only thing that matters.
Last edited by kenchau on Nov 7th, 2017 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
8732 posts
1396 upvotes
兩最大
kenchau wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 10:05 pm
If I say no, and this is the vehicle you really want, and this is the best price you're able to negotiate, does that mean you don't buy the vehicle? If I say yes, but in your mind you want more off, and you buy it, you'll still always think you should have gotten more off and never listened to someone off the internet.

Like I said before, you have to be comfortable with the price. No one else. If you think over $3,000 off is a fair deal, then that's all that matters. If you want to get the absolute best deal out of anyone, I can safely tell you, that's never going to happen. Ask yourself if you really like the car. Ask yourself if you think it's a fair price. Then the answer should be obvious to know and that's the only thing that matters.
Wise words.

OP, just try your best and you'll get the best price for you. Some ppl may do better, some may do worse. Unless you're me, I helped my parent get an Elantra sedan for $19,700 all-in (actually maybe hundred or so less as they had some weird cashback scheme)+winter mats+touchup pen. Can't touch that. :D
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1300 posts
113 upvotes
kenchau wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 10:05 pm

Like I said before, you have to be comfortable with the price. No one else. If you think over $3,000 off is a fair deal, then that's all that matters. If you want to get the absolute best deal out of anyone, I can safely tell you, that's never going to happen. Ask yourself if you really like the car. Ask yourself if you think it's a fair price. Then the answer should be obvious to you and that's the only thing that matters.
tranquility922 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 10:51 pm
Wise words.

OP, just try your best and you'll get the best price for you. Some ppl may do better, some may do worse. Unless you're me, I helped my parent get an Elantra sedan for $19,700 all-in (actually maybe hundred or so less as they had some weird cashback scheme)+winter mats+touchup pen. Can't touch that. :D
thanks guys! well i am asking because i am new. i am inexperienced with car buying, i have limited knowledge and beucase of that, i just didnt want to be taken advantage of being a "new guy".

3000 off does soundd reasonable to me considering it has already depreciated by a year now and coming from you guys, it seems to be fair and not outragously overpriced or little.

i think one of the last 3 things i wanted to ask you guys were;

would the dealership give me a better "deal" for something that is on the lot already vs. having to source it? basically, they have to source the limited model somewhere else, BUT they do have a limited "hybrid" on the lot. which if they offer a bigger discount for because of that, i would be interested as small gas savings seems nice in the long run.

and if i go to a dealership that doesnt have as a "good" offer as the one i showed you guys in this thread. can i show him the invoice thingy to match it?

and third/last question, i know asside from price you could ask to throw things in from winter tires, free extended warranty, oil changes to winter matts. is there anything you guys recomendd to ask to "Add in" or discount on?

im going tomorow to toyota so i think this may be it! lol
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
8732 posts
1396 upvotes
兩最大
If they have to source it, from my exp they will charge more and you also don't want your prospective vehicle being moved around.

When I was shopping around, I just sat in front of my computer and emailed everyone. I didn't even show up to a dealer until I helped w/ the final process. You can make things easier for yourself that way.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1300 posts
113 upvotes
xjesterxx wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 1:56 pm

i sent you a pm xjesterxx
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1300 posts
113 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 11:28 pm
If they have to source it, from my exp they will charge more and you also don't want your prospective vehicle being moved around.

When I was shopping around, I just sat in front of my computer and emailed everyone. I didn't even show up to a dealer until I helped w/ the final process. You can make things easier for yourself that way.
oh thats a shame. i remember when i was looking at the GMC acadia, the salesmen there said sourcing them is no problem since dealerships do it all the time, but im not surprised if they use htat excuse to not give as a good bargain. its bad idea to have someone drive the car to the dealership from the oriignal dealership?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
8732 posts
1396 upvotes
兩最大
Nov 7th, 2017 11:47 pm
oh thats a shame. i remember when i was looking at the GMC acadia, the salesmen there said sourcing them is no problem since dealerships do it all the time, but im not surprised if they use htat excuse to not give as a good bargain. its bad idea to have someone drive the car to the dealership from the oriignal dealership?
Well, it's an added cost for them to bring it over, be it driving it over (not good for the vehicle, as a bit more wear & tear) or actually trucking it over. You'd probably get a better deal from the dealership that they are sourcing it from. This is from personal exp. That's why I recommend shooting LOTS of emails to all dealers you're interested in and going from there.
Feb 25, 2015
338 posts
109 upvotes
ON
Hi Op, just out of curiosity how can you be buying a first car that's well over 50 Grand?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1300 posts
113 upvotes
Invalid12 wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 1:34 am
Hi Op, just out of curiosity how can you be buying a first car that's well over 50 Grand?
prob around 51k . planning on financing, not paying full cash. i am wanting to keep this for oh say 5 years and wel, thats a good chunk of my life and prob will spend a good chunk of it driving this car. so why not pick something i will enjoy in right?
Feb 25, 2015
338 posts
109 upvotes
ON
Nov 11th, 2017 2:37 am
prob around 51k . planning on financing, not paying full cash. i am wanting to keep this for oh say 5 years and wel, thats a good chunk of my life and prob will spend a good chunk of it driving this car. so why not pick something i will enjoy in right?
That makes sense I think the Highlander is a very smart choice, I've never heard of a owner that wasn't happy with one. Did you pull the trigger on one?